pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to FizzyMyNizzy9

Re: [Parts Check] Ivy Bridge Configuration Options + Price check

True but AMD has to catch up before they can shake things up.

I doubt Micron is going to be pushing Intel to do anything. I'm thinking it's already too late to get DDR4 into any Ivy Bridge-Ex platforms (and it's a 'tick' anyways), and beyond that is Haswell-Ex where they are already planning it. Will they get it into consumer Haswell platforms next year? Doubt it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to FizzyMyNizzy9

said by FizzyMyNizzy9:

IVB-E is 6 core. Should be out Q4 this year. But you better of getting Haswell by that time. DDR4... maybe even PCI-Express 4.0. lol

Looks like IVB-E is being pushed out till the 2nd half of 2013 and will be out at the same time as Haswell.

»www.techspot.com/news/47849-ivy-···013.html
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to pnjunction

said by pnjunction:

How do you see that?

AMD already has its "Fusion" chips that are would-be competitors with the Intel integrated graphics platform available with Ivy Bridge.

AMD is definitely the underdog here but the technology seems to be already there on the AMD platform
--
I'm watching District 9 again, and I've come to realize something: Wikus's got it all wrong. If I were morphing into a 9 foot tall hyper-dextrous alien that can shoot lightning bolts and get high off cat food why would I ever want to become human again?

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

said by El Quintron:

said by pnjunction:

How do you see that?

AMD does have its strengths. Their integrated graphics and prices make for some pretty capable systems at low prices.

But that is where their strength is right now, in the value market. Is that compatible with an early rush to DDR4, which will be quite expensive to start (especially before Intel is using it)? I don't think so.

Their integrated graphics would benefit from faster memory speed, but it doesn't make sense if the memory is expensive since integrated graphics are aimed at the budget market.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by pnjunction:

Their integrated graphics would benefit from faster memory speed, but it doesn't make sense if the memory is expensive since integrated graphics are aimed at the budget market.

Point taken...
--
I'm watching District 9 again, and I've come to realize something: Wikus's got it all wrong. If I were morphing into a 9 foot tall hyper-dextrous alien that can shoot lightning bolts and get high off cat food why would I ever want to become human again?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by El Quintron:

said by pnjunction:

Point taken...

They're not really "aimed" at anything, but rather built into the processor. It's not like I have a choice and say NO to the IGP that's built in.

I can buy another video card, but that;'s for us that make homebrew PC's, not the mainstream stuff you buy at FS or BB.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by elwoodblues:

They're not really "aimed" at anything, but rather built into the processor. It's not like I have a choice and say NO to the IGP that's built in.

I can buy another video card, but that;'s for us that make homebrew PC's, not the mainstream stuff you buy at FS or BB.

I think you're missing the point of the IGP, (or IGP improvements more specifically) is that you can get more graphics processing power without buying a video card, so improvements from both AMD and Intel are welcome on this front.
--