spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gkandra
join:2004-02-19
Bay Village, OH

gkandra

UltraTV power save

Dan, has the power save option on the settop boxes been tweaked yet in the latest software? i.e. bumped up from 3 hrs to 6+hrs. You mentioned that this was going to be rolled out soon.
DanDT
join:2010-04-21
Naperville, IL

DanDT

This hasn't been changed yet, I believe they were doing some testing with this today. Not sure when the change is going to be set for customers yet.

stet
Volitar Prime
join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI

stet to gkandra

to gkandra
I would still love to see them get rid of the automatic power safe completely in favor of a power save mode controlled by the power button on the remote. And when in power save mode turn off the video outputs. Leaving them on displaying a screen saver doesn't work well with auto sensing/switching devices.
DanDT
join:2010-04-21
Naperville, IL

DanDT

The automatic power save is required because the gateway needs to tear down open streams if they're not being used, otherwise you're using up tuners, and it may cause recording conflicts.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

Body Count to gkandra

to gkandra
If you change the power save timer, can it be a user set timer? 2, 4, 6, hour timer settings would be great.

I like it saving power and would rather change it to be shorter in fact.

stet
Volitar Prime
join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI

1 edit

stet to DanDT

to DanDT
I understand the need for the power save mode to free up the tuners (and as I said above I wish it would go further and turn off the outputs) but why does it have to be automatic? I don’t want my DVR turning itself off a few hours into an all day Twilight Zone marathon (as an example). The remotes do have a power button which it seems can take the media players out of power save mode, so why can’t it also put them in it when you’re done watching TV?

As far as tuner use with recording shows, let’s consider the following scenario:
1 media player in use
5 tuners currently recording shows
A 6th recording is scheduled to start

Does the 6th scheduled recording take control of the tuner in use by the media player or does it leave it alone and not record the show?

If recording the show takes precedence then why would it matter if the tuner is freed up by a power save mode on the media player? It's just going to take it over anyway.

If the media player takes precedence then this just furthers my argument for manual control of the power save mode. For instance, if I’m done watching TV but the media player has to wait 6 hours before automatically going into power save mode then that tuner won’t be used for recording the 6th show. In this case I’m not watching TV but I’m also not able to record one of the shows that I want to record, it’s a lose/lose for me.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to gkandra

Premium Member

to gkandra
The 6 hour change has been instituted. Your gateway and media players will need to be rebooted to take the change, if they haven't taken it already.
Just_Dan

Just_Dan to stet

Premium Member

to stet
said by stet:

As far as tuner use with recording shows, let’s consider the following scenario:
1 media player in use
5 tuners currently recording shows
A 6th recording is scheduled to start

Does the 6th scheduled recording take control of the tuner in use by the media player or does it leave it alone and not record the show?

If recording the show takes precedence then why would it matter if the tuner is freed up by a power save mode on the media player? It's just going to take it over anyway.

If the media player takes precedence then this just furthers my argument for manual control of the power save mode. For instance, if I’m done watching TV but the media player has to wait 6 hours before automatically going into power save mode then that tuner won’t be used for recording the 6th show. In this case I’m not watching TV but I’m also not able to record one of the shows that I want to record, it’s a lose/lose for me.

I believe a message will be displayed on one of the media players that will inform it of a tuner conflict, and ask which session to take down, or that there's a conflict that needs to be resolved. If not responded to, it will most likely tear down the oldest session to clear up for the recording.

I understand your argument for a manual power save mode, and I will pass that along to the engineering teams to see if it can be done.
alan92rttt
join:2012-02-27

alan92rttt

Just my opinion, Recordings should always take a higher priority unless a user overrides it.