All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to StyxKee

to StyxKee

Re: [TV] Update to HD PVR (Enhanced Guide) e-Mail from Rogers?

So once again I stand corrected. I not only answered the op's question, I was also right despite being told I was wrong.

If you keep telling me im wrong im not gonna bother providing helpfull CORRECT answers anymore.
JAC70
join:2008-10-20
canada

JAC70

said by Pauly:

So once again I stand corrected. I not only answered the op's question, I was also right despite being told I was wrong.

No, you weren't. The new guide is a buggy, laggy POS.

If you keep telling me im wrong im not gonna bother providing helpfull CORRECT answers anymore.

Promise?
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

said by JAC70:

No, you weren't. The new guide is a buggy, laggy POS.

Not everyone has the same experience as you. I have three STBs in Toronto using the new firmware. I haven't found any one of them to be laggy or buggy, even the WHPVR function works reasonably well. It's not perfect but I find it to be functionally better than the old SARA software those boxes used to run on.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

said by decx:

Not everyone has the same experience as you. I have three STBs in Toronto using the new firmware. I haven't found any one of them to be laggy or buggy, even the WHPVR function works reasonably well. It's not perfect but I find it to be functionally better than the old SARA software those boxes used to run on.

You tell em! pontiac!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to decx

Premium Member

to decx
Maybe it varies across the neighbourhoods and what version of stuff runs at that head end.

I have one of these new boxes non-pvr and it is buggy. Lots of times you tune to a channel and its just black. have to reboot the box to get it back, it works like that for a few weeks then shit starts to happen again.

Ex_Brit
If you're going through hell, keep going
join:2005-09-27
Toronto, ON

Ex_Brit

I've had the new format for a while now and you should give it time to settle in. At first mine was ultra-slow and if I attempted to use the remote's PIP function the box would crash. Now it's fine and I found it behaved better if I adopted the "Classic Modern HD" setting in Settings > Appearance.

I think you have to give it time to clear cache on its own etc. etc. and it is early days yet. Obviously they will need to patch it sooner or later, knowing Rogers, most likely later.

StyxKee
join:2001-07-05
GTA, Canada

StyxKee to Pauly

to Pauly
Paolo, sorry if you felt offended by me not choosing the update at this time. I am just weighing your comments, and many other (and thanks to the additional links from other posters, I got to review those as well)... As Ex_Brit and you commented, a number of people enjoy the update with no issue.

Just like any updates, some people will have no issues, while others encountering horrible nightmares....often due to improper QA from the manufacturers (Sony PS3, Apple iPod/iPhone firmware updates, just to name a few) or 3rd party suppliers (Rogers in this case), other times simply because the users did not follow instructions, or instructions are not easy to follow.

Based on the info from this and various other boards, the potential show stoppers for me are:
(1) menu lagging - will bug the hell out of me, and
(2) +/- page does not work for REW /FF recording 15 minutes each time - also a big minus.

Saying that, I am also itching for some of the benefits coming from this update. It is just too bad that the cons outweighs the pros.

Please do not stop with your valuable inputs. Much appreciated.

Peace.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

1 edit

the cerberus

Is "browse by theme" option removed? I've watched a video of this new guide and do not see the option.
Since I use that option everyday I could not stand to upgrade currently, not to mention the bugs.
Also the current search application on 8300 outside the guide is not very useful because you cant record the program you've just searched for, did they fix this?
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I have one of these new boxes non-pvr and it is buggy. Lots of times you tune to a channel and its just black. have to reboot the box to get it back, it works like that for a few weeks then shit starts to happen again.

I had the problem in early March on one of my 4642 and the 8642 and it required a hard reboot to solve. However I haven't run into that problem since. The strange thing was that the problem happened immediately after the boxes rebooted after a software update.
decx

decx to Ex_Brit

Premium Member

to Ex_Brit
said by Ex_Brit:

I've had the new format for a while now and you should give it time to settle in. At first mine was ultra-slow and if I attempted to use the remote's PIP function the box would crash. Now it's fine and I found it behaved better if I adopted the "Classic Modern HD" setting in Settings > Appearance.

I think you have to give it time to clear cache on its own etc. etc. and it is early days yet. Obviously they will need to patch it sooner or later, knowing Rogers, most likely later.

Interestingly a lot of people seem to have the same experience with the Modern theme. It might have something to do with the transparent overlay that the Modern them uses. Personally, I don't find the Modern theme of much use as the IPG layout is such that only approximately the top 20% of the picture is visible making the transparent overlay pointless. With the Classic Modern theme one can actually see the picture properly.

Pauly
canada

Pauly to StyxKee

to StyxKee
said by StyxKee:

Paolo, sorry if you felt offended by me not choosing the update at this time. I am just weighing your comments, and many other (and thanks to the additional links from other posters, I got to review those as well)... As Ex_Brit and you commented, a number of people enjoy the update with no issue.

Just like any updates, some people will have no issues, while others encountering horrible nightmares....often due to improper QA from the manufacturers (Sony PS3, Apple iPod/iPhone firmware updates, just to name a few) or 3rd party suppliers (Rogers in this case), other times simply because the users did not follow instructions, or instructions are not easy to follow.

Based on the info from this and various other boards, the potential show stoppers for me are:
(1) menu lagging - will bug the hell out of me, and
(2) +/- page does not work for REW /FF recording 15 minutes each time - also a big minus.

Saying that, I am also itching for some of the benefits coming from this update. It is just too bad that the cons outweighs the pros.

Please do not stop with your valuable inputs. Much appreciated.

Peace.

Don't say that I dont get offended, I dont even work for them Im not gonna cry if u dont upgrade. i am only just saying i heard other people did it and its fine, im not forcing you to upgrade. its totally up to u