join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 edit

Nearly 90 pilots... "especially heavy on the supernatural"

Read this interesting tidbit:

This year, nearly 90 pilots are battling for slots on the schedules of CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, and the CW, all of which are desperate to replace aging hits and find those few breakout shows.

This year’s crop is especially heavy on the supernatural, imported formats (especially from Israel), period dramas (which range from the frontier era and the Gilded Age of Shonda Rhimes’ The Gilded Lilys to the 1980s of Sex and the City prequel The Carrie Diaries), remakes and prequels (Mockingbird Lane! Hannibal! The Carrie Diaries!), Beauty and the Beast (there’s not one but two competitive projects based on the fairy tale), and—oddly enough—a fascination with cults, which turn up in several pilots.

The rest of focuses on his thirteen picks, most of them not really related to sci/fi but it doesn't take long to peruse his picks: »www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2···amb.html

Items of interest might be:

Midnight Sun (NBC)

Cast: Julia Stiles, Michael Raymond-James, Emma Bell, Alexia Fast, David Harbour, Lucien Laviscount, Conor O’Farrell, Daniella Pineda, Keenan Tracey, Lucia Walters, Titus Welliver, Oz Zehavi
Writer/Executive Producer: Lisa Zwerling (Awake, FlashForward
Director: Brad Anderson (Fringe, Boardwalk Empire, The Wire)

Logline: Based on an Israeli series, when the residents of a remote Alaskan commune—or potentially a dangerous cult—vanish without a trace, an FBI agent travels up north to conduct an investigation, and uncovers a vast conspiracy and a looming mystery.

While every season brings numerous attempts to reclaim the lightning-in-a-bottle that was ABC’s Lost, few contenders ever live up to the challenge. This year, Midnight Sun might have the best shot at coming close, as its remote Alaska setting separates it from the slew of formulaic supernatural/science-fiction would-be heirs apparent [...]

(the above makes me want to check out the original but that's probably not possible)

Mockingbird Lane, a.k.a. The Munsters (NBC)

Cast: Charity Wakefield, Eddie Izzard
Writer/Executive Producer: Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies, Heroes)
Director/Executive Producer: Bryan Singer (House, X2, The Usual Suspects)

Logline: Based on The Munsters. After 10-year-old Eddie has a werewolf incident with his Boy Scout troupe, the Munsters move to a new town in order to start over, but their struggles—including being supernatural creatures, except for Marilyn—have a habit of following them.

Beautiful People (NBC)

Cast: David Conrad, Frances Conroy, Megalyn Echikunwoke, Tovah Feldshuh, Madisen Beaty, Cody Christian, Patrick Heusinger, Ernie Hudson, James Murray, Andrea Parker, Jud Taylor
Writer/Executive Producer: Michael McDonald (Cougar Town)
Director: Stephen Hopkins (House of Lies, Californication, 24)

Logline: In the extremely near future, androids are so sophisticated that they closely resemble their human makers, but some of these robotic servants are becoming self-aware, evolving to the point where they are capable of human emotion and connection.

Untitled Karyn Usher (Fox)

Cast: Julian McMahon, Saxon Sharbino, Angela Bassett, Louise Lombard, Rick Schroder
Writer/Executive Producer: Karyn Usher (Prison Break, Bones)
Director: Brett Ratner (Tower Heist, Prison Break, Red Dragon)

Logline: When a CIA operative is killed, his teenage daughter—taught in the ways of espionage—sets out to uncover her father’s killer with the help of a rogue agent, even as she’s recruited to be a spy herself.

Alias plus Veronica Mars multiplied by Jane Levy’s Tessa on Suburgatory. While that may seem nonsensical, it’s the most succinct way of describing Usher’s kick-ass female-centric teen actioner, which has its feet in multiple realms, fusing together the cutthroat worlds of high school and high-octane espionage.

(with that kind of comparison, I will definitely be checking it out if it makes it)

The Selection (The CW)

Cast: Aimee Teegarden, Ethan Peck, Martin Donovan, Celia Kate Massignham, William Moseley, Peta Sergeant, Sean Patrick Thomas, Leonor Varela, Andrew Elvis Miller
Writer/Executive Producer: Sarah Fain (The Shield, Angel, The Vampire Diaries)
Director: Mark Piznarski (Gossip Girl, Veronica Mars)

Logline: Based on the upcoming novels by Kiera Cass. Set 300 years in the future, a war-torn country’s lottery system forces 35 young women, from various castes, to compete in a tournament to marry the royal prince and ascend to the rank of queen.

The comparisons to The Hunger Games are apt here, but The Selection’s battles are less about physical death matches and more about the cutthroat competition among the girls for the prince’s attention, as they scheme and plot their way into his affections and eliminate their rivals for a multitude of reasons.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

Re: Nearly 90 pilots... "especially heavy on the supernatur

More sci-fi and supernatural TV is always good, but no more vampires, please.

From the shows you listed, I'm most interested in Midnight Sun. It seems like an interesting premise for a TV show, but more than that, the writer and director have worked on some good shows (Awake and Fringe).

Elementary looks good, but I'll watch anything with Jonny Lee Miller in it after two great seasons of Eli Stone. A modern-day Sherlock Holmes solving crimes with the NYPD should be fun.

Last Resort also looks good. I don't think Shawn Ryan has created a bad TV show yet.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Rook008:

Elementary looks good, but I'll watch anything with Jonny Lee Miller in it after two great seasons of Eli Stone. A modern-day Sherlock Holmes solving crimes with the NYPD should be fun.

I think it will be hard to top Sherlock -- series two is amazing.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY

1 edit

I've heard about it, but never watched an episode.
Maybe I'll see if I can find the pilot to watch.

Edit: Only 3 episodes per season, is that correct?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by Rook008:

Edit: Only 3 episodes per season, is that correct?

Yes. »thetvdb.com/?tab=seasonall&id=176941&lid=7

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to darcilicious

ABC is moving forward with these two:

666 Park Avenue from Warner Bros. Television and Alloy Entertainment, is based on the Gabriella Pierce book. The series revolves around a young couple who manages one of the most historic apartment buildings in New York City -- which happens to be the spot of supernatural occurrences that complicate and endanger the lives of the building's occupants.

Dave Annable, Vanessa Williams, Terry O'Quinn and Mercedes Masohn are among the stars of the series.

Last Resort, meanwhile, revolves around the renegade crew of a nuclear submarine who go on the lam after being given a sketchy order to deploy their weapons. The crew then declare themselves the world's smallest sovereign nation with nuclear capability.

The series, from "The Shield"'s Shawn Ryan, stars Andre Braugher as the crew's captain and comes from Sony Pictures Television.

(from: »www.thewrap.com/tv/article/sarah···bc-39591)

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to darcilicious

And here's what the CW is going with:

A young Carrie Bradshaw, a DC Comics archer, and a beauty and beast are among the new faces you'll see on the CW next season: The network announced five new dramas Friday that include the "Sex and the City" prequel "The Carrie Diaries," "Arrow," and an update on the CBS drama "Beauty and the Beast" starring "Smallville" veteran Kristin Kreuk.

The network's other two new shows are the medical drama "First Cut" and "Cult," about a dark TV show that draws legions of violently obsessed fans.

[...] Still uncertain is the fate of the "Hunger Games"-esque pilot "The Selection," which follows a young girl chosen to compete for the hand of a prince in a war-torn nation.

(full article here: »www.thewrap.com/tv/article/cw-or···es-39541)

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to darcilicious

In regards to the post about 666 Park avenue.
Mercedes Masohn. She's been a busy bee this year. She was on the Finder, and Common Law. Now here. Hopefully this series works out for her.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

That was the first thing that I thought too when I read her name in Darci's post. It was odd seeing her in both The Finder (which I believe has been cancelled by Fox) and Common Law last night.

Common Law looks like it's going to be a fun show to watch.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Yeah, The Finder has been canceled.

I'm not sure if I really want to invest my time in yet another buddy cop/law show (I like Suits a lot, for one thing) so I'm not sure yet if I'll tune into Common Law or not...

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

I like the buddy cop shows, especially ones as funny as Common Law was last night.
Plus it seems like only very pretty people work with the two detectives.

It's a pretty easy show to watch.
--

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Good Guys was better then Common law. A bummer they couldn't have brought that over to USa from fox.

I think she was a guest star on common law. Just a one shot spot. Not sure though.
I did like her on The Finder. I also like how her and Sherman's relationship was very "modern". Friends with benefits, though the writers seemed to evolve that into a more traditional relationship as the show went on.
I'll miss the finder, as it was a unique show. Not really a comedy or a cop show. It was just different.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

Good Guys was an awesome show. I didn't like Colin Hanks at all before I started watching that show, but he grew on me. And Bradley Whitford is great in anything he does, even the more serious stuff. If that show started out on a cable network, it would probably still be on.

I'd describe The Finder as "quirky" but I did enjoy it a bunch.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I wish most of the shows I like were on a cable channel. I might get fewer episodes per season, but at least they last a while and don't get pulled from the schedule with episodes left un-aired like what happened with Awake.
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Rook008

said by Rook008:

This was picked up by CBS, by the way.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to darcilicious

Some more on various genre shows:

Revolution NBC; Mondays at 10 p.m.

NBC gets into the sprawling serialized drama game with Revolution, from creator Eric Kripke (Supernatural), director Jon Favreau (Iron Man) and executive producer J.J. Abrams (Lost), which imagines a world in which all forms of energy have ceased to exist. Set years after a destructive incident in which the entire planet went dark, the dystopian drama revolves around a group of characters who set out to reunite with missing loved ones and solve a global mystery: what caused the blackout and who was behind it?

Do No Harm NBC; Midseason: Sundays at 10 p.m.

In this twisty psychological thriller, based on Robert Louis Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, gifted Boston neurosurgeon Jeffrey Kohl (Steven Pasquale) tries to contain his violent and maniacal alter ego, who threatens once again to throw his professional and personal life into chaos. After five years of successfully containing "Ian Price," Kohl learns that his alter ego has build up a tolerance to the drug treatment that has kept him in check... as Ian unleashes his revenge on Kohl.

(This next one is posted for all you fans of Justified, this sounds like it might be good though not a lick of sci-fi, sorry! )

Vegas (CBS)

Hands down one of the best pilot scripts of the season, Vegas (formerly known as Ralph Lamb), created by Nicholas Pileggi (Goodfellas) and Greg Walker (Three Rivers) and directed by James Mangold (3:10 to Yuma) tells the real-life story of Ralph Lamb (Dennis Quaid), a rancher who became known as the "cowboy sheriff" of Las Vegas in the 1960s. Under his leadership, he merged the police force and sheriff's department into one law-enforcement agency, tangling with local thugs, Hell's Angels, and mobsters, each of whom was looking for a piece of the Vegas dream. Quaid is joined by Jason O'Mara, Carrie-Anne Moss, Michael Chiklis, Taylor Handley, James Russo, Michael Reilly Burke, and Michael O'Neill.

Zero Hour (ABC)

In thriller Zero Hour, Anthony Edwards (ER) stars as Hank Foley, the editor of Modern Skeptic magazine who has spent 20 years debunking various conspiracy theories and urban legends. But when his wife Laila (Jacinda Barrett) is abducted from her antique clock store, Hank gets pulled into a centuries-old mystery, one that has roots in a Doomsday device coveted by the Nazis during World War II and kept secret by a clandestine group of priests. What is it about a set of seemingly innocuous clocks that has one man ruthlessly killing anyone he comes in contact with to obain? And just where does the treasure map he's unearthed lead? The far-flung adventure, created by Paul Scheuring (Prison Break), finds Hank teaming up with an FBI agent to track down Laila and get to a powerful force that could change the fate of humanity before his adversary does.

Cult (CW)

It's hard to describe the CW's psychological thriller Cult, from creator Rockne S. O'Bannon (Farscape) and executive producer Josh Schwartz (Chuck), because the premise is pretty trippy in itself. There's a show-within-the-show which is also called Cult, and which may be linked to the deaths and disappearances of several people who watch the show, viewers who become obsessed with the show's Lost-like mythology and the central figure, Billy Grimm (Robert Knepper). But Billy Grimm is just a character, played by actor Roger Reeves. Right? Or he is a disembodied boogeyman? Or are people preying on Cult viewers and driving them insane? These are some of the questions raised within the pilot episode, in which blogger Jeff Sefton (Matthew Davis) investigates the disappearance of his Cult-obsessed brother and teams up with a production assistant (Jessica Lucas) who works on the show in order to uncover just what is going on. Alona Tal (Veronica Mars) also stars.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

Zero Hour Trailer:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZcHPL4-sJw

666 Park Avenue Trailer:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=x91yps9mu0I

Last Resort Trailer:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDSttA64KGU

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to darcilicious

Elementary Trailer:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrDVSxNycKc

(not scifi but if you like Justified this might be interesting)
Vegas Trailer

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIJSII0LwSY

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

Well, I recently saw the pilot episode of Sherlock, and I have to say it was amazing! Besides the fact that Sherlock is a genius and solves crimes, I love the way they sometimes print on the screen what's going on in his head before he sums up his ideas to anyone out loud. And the dialogue is great. I expected it to be smart, but I found it to be pretty funny too.
And I like that Watson is more than just a person for Holmes to bounce ideas off of.

I'm going to watch the next episode very soon. I think everyone should be watching this show.
Thanks for the recommendation Darci.
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Glad you like! Hubby and I are re-watching season one eps ourselves -- though we're not sure if hubby saw them the first time around even

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Rook008

Never heard of Sherlock. Might have to check out the first few episodes. How many seasons are there?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

So far, two seasons, three episodes each (!!). Season two is available via online until 6/19: »www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/wat···dex.html (listed in reverse order so watch those airing dates )

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Huh? What? Wait... only 3 episodes a seasons? Wth???

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

That's them lazy Brits for ya' They're actually a solid 90 minutes of entertainment though. So, think of it as quality over quantity

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Cool!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to darcilicious

Doesn't make them brits any less lazy.

I'm still unhappy that its so long till the next Top Gear.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Rook008

said by Rook008:

Well, I recently saw the pilot episode of Sherlock, and I have to say it was amazing!

There's an unaired pilot floating around out there as well; no major plot changes, but some slightly different settings / characters and one or two minor plot deviations. Kind of fun to spot the differences

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

I've been watching previews on "Revolution." Looks interesting, but I am not sure I can accept it. The premise is that some event changes the laws of physics so that things like electricity don't work. I'm not sure I can suspend my disbelief with this one because if electronic devices stopped working because electricity no longer worked, then lightning wouldn't happen, and the human nervous system wouldn't be able to function.

I could accept something like a massive EMP disabling all existing electronics, but the series suggests that no electronics are possible, this simply isn't possible without drastically changing the laws of physics, so much so that life probably couldn't even exist.

I still might give it a shot.
--
What smells like blue?

crazediamond
Maybe you shouldn't be so proud?
Premium
join:2002-01-19
Atlanta, GA

Revolution sounds roughly like S.M. Stirling's series of books about an event that causes anything high energy to stop working (gunpowder, steam etc). More specifically one of the major storylines in the series.

Anyhow, he didn't try to get in the technicalities of it, just one day poof stuff quit working and through some experimentation basically the people who were trying to figure it out just accepted that the laws of physics did change in ways that made previously constant things variable. Presumably that's how you try and head off "why do nerves still work?".
--
And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?
And if I open my heart to you, and show you my weak side, what would you do?

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ

Fair enough.

Judging from the previews, guns still work, which means that steam power should work as well. You can do a lot with steam power, but we will see how the series develops.
--
What smells like blue?

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to darcilicious

I'll probably check it out after I've finished Season 2.

I have to say that the events at the end of season 1 were pretty cool. I'm watching A Scandal In Belgravia right now and so far it's great. I'm hoping to get through all of season 2 this weekend.
--