spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Anon

One big sick joke

i dont know what to do anymore.

For the past month and a half my Shaw has been the worst service I have ever had the privilege to use. Here is the rundown

Im on Broadband 100. My speeds are about 60mbps in prime time. Thats good and i enjoy it. I live in Victoria BC and we are getting an upgrade on May 25th to split a node. Ok good.

Thats not why im here.

Im a senior in high school. Its hard for me to balance work and school at the same time. So what do I do to make quick cash? I play in online tournaments. Not just any tournament though, Battlefield 3 tournaments. Now its hard enough making money because the only way you make money is to win or place top 3, whats even harder is trying to stay in the game without lagging out.

Shaw likes to play one big sick joke EVERY round I play. Everything is fine, im running 60mbps then guess what happens? "Your connection to EA Online has been lost" then 5 seconds later "You have been disconnected from XBOX Live". Now of coarse every Shaw tech will say "well its obviously an issue with XBOX Live, lets just dodge trouble shooting blah blah blah". I am 100% certain it is not a problem with XBOX Live or EA. The fact that im disconnecting from 2 services at the exact same time is more then coincidental.

Now my Shaw tech log must be ridiculous. I have had about 4 service calls and here is the outline of what they have done.

-Gave me Cisco modem
-Gave me a power amp, replaced all the interior cables
-Replaced the drop and ran a new wire along the side of my house, punched a hole in my wall to run a brand new wire to a brand new splitter.

Pretty much every cable in my suite has been replaced, and the RF signal is near perfect.

And i still disconnect.

I cannot afford to lag out of matches due to Shaw, where im letting my team down and in some cases, a lag out means an automatic forfeit of that round.

This is beyond a joke, they say they are going to split the node on April 27th and they push that back to May 25th. And who knows if that will even fix my issues.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

1 edit
Even though it is a pain in the ass to be disconnected during matches, Shaw is not responsible for lost income. You're essentially doing business on a residential connection, and Shaw will throw a TOS red flag at you.

Disconnecting from two services controlled through your XBOX is not coincidental. If your XBL account gets disconnected, so will your connection to EA. One can't work without the other. The same goes for COD. If the XBL connection drops, so will the connection to Infinity Ward.

Here's what I would do, as Shaw won't be all that helpful if a single device is showing issues: Run a smokeping test on the DSLR and have it monitor your IP address. Smokeping will report back any lost connectivity. Play BF3 and wait for the disconnects to appear. If Smokeping does not report back any disconnects during that time frame, you have an issue with XBL and/or a NAT problem. (Seeing that site is being rebuilt, Smokeping is down. Anyone with a *nix system can do it though.)

As for the networking gear, are you using Shaw's Cisco gateway in bridged mode or non-bridged mode? An understanding of your home network will help us decide who shall be at fault.

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver
Well, if you're really pissed you could always take them to small claims court. I'm sure they have some false advertising in their ads somewhere.

Fortunately a TOS isn't legally binding, so if you do take them to court for not delivering the service they advertise you can definitely claim financial losses, false advertising, punitive damages, etc.. as a result of their service being sketchy.

Internet isn't CRTC regulated, so ISP's can get away with murder if you actually rely on them to govern themselves.

Problem is that you're looking at about $150 in fees to take them to court.

But definitely troubleshoot everything as suggested above and make sure it's not something on your end.
--
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it."-Malcolm X

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

Edmonton, AB
If you plan on taking such action, then you'll have to do it via snail mail as every TSR agent or supervisor will give you an address to mail in your complaint. Then you'll be waiting 6 months for small claims court to open your case and subpoena Shaw to appear. I don't think your lost income will be worth the time. They'll throw your case right out as you wouldn't be able to afford the fire-power to take on Shaw.

Your thoughts only apply to certain Countries that have remorse climaxes, such as the UK for example. That does not apply in Canadian law.

Don't take this as a cynical remark, but merely as experience in dealing with corporate politics.

fan13027

join:2008-10-26
Winnipeg, MB
You can take my comment as cynical though. You say you are losing income, but I missed in your post where you say you are paying for business class services or a specified guarantee of uptime.

No sympathy here.

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

1 edit
reply to XT0RT
said by XT0RT:

If you plan on taking such action, then you'll have to do it via snail mail as every TSR agent or supervisor will give you an address to mail in your complaint. Then you'll be waiting 6 months for small claims court to open your case and subpoena Shaw to appear. I don't think your lost income will be worth the time. They'll throw your case right out as you wouldn't be able to afford the fire-power to take on Shaw.

Your thoughts only apply to certain Countries that have remorse climaxes, such as the UK for example. That does not apply in Canadian law.

Don't take this as a cynical remark, but merely as experience in dealing with corporate politics.

Not true. He can just file a claim with the local small claims court in his jurisdiction, then hire a process server to serve their local office in Victoria.

Usually if you sue for less than $3000 in punitive damages, it will cost them more to actually file a defense that isn't half hearted (just referring to their TOS), then attending a settlement conference will probably require their attorney and someone from the company who has authority to settle, then of course the actual court date which requires more attorney time on their end. So you can stick it right back to them if you really want.

To be fair it seems like Shaw is actually making an effort to resolve the issue though.
--
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it."-Malcolm X

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

Edmonton, AB
Shaw has done their part. They have replaced all hardware up to and in his premises, minus dealing with a node. I just wish this 'kid' would fess up and tell us if his other network devices are being disconnected at random intervals. If not, then we have found the culprit, a NAT problem with the XBOX.

Anon
1) Playing tournaments on a Shaw residential connection =/= a business. It is absurb that you think that participating in eSport matches for $$ and prizes is a business.

2) Im not planning on taking Shaw to court, i came here for network troubleshooting not legal advice.

3) Xtort im glad you called me a kid i wouldnt of figured it out any other way (btw 18 is a legal adult, seeing as you expertise in criminology you would know) Yes my NAT is open, i still DC, DMZ, i still DC, direct connect to Cisco AIO, DC.

Shaw has obviously not done their part if the problem still persists.. And its 100% not a problem with XBL or EAO, im the only one in my city who i know of who are experiencing these drops.

In a /ping google.com /t test sometimes i notice that the ping reaches around 200ms.

Also before i lagout the game tends to get really laggy and I rubber band. Sometimes i will lag out of a xbox live party, auto reconnect, then moments later lose connection to XBOX Live. pingtest.com returns no packet loss and around 3ms jitter.

ErikRP

join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by :

1) Playing tournaments on a Shaw residential connection =/= a business. It is absurb that you think that participating in eSport matches for $$ and prizes is a business.

Whether you think it's "absurb" (sic) or not, the fact is you are relying on Shaw's connection to make money. You said it yourself ("So what do I do to make quick cash? I play in online tournaments"). Shaw isn't likely to get too concerned about your use of its services for making money, but at the same time you can't use the fact that you are losing money to demand 100% reliability while you are gaming for cash.

Even with your latest post I can't see if you have actually tested to see if your other services are disconnecting when you lose connection in your game. That's the best way to tell who is to blame. Once you can pinpoint if you are losing connection to everything or just XBL/EA then you know whose throat to choke.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

Edmonton, AB
said by :

You are affiliated with a sanctioned league and are making a profit from it. Therefore it is a business agreement, even though you don't think of it as one.

2) Im not planning on taking Shaw to court, i came here for network troubleshooting not legal advice.

Seeing that you claim that Shaw has failed to resolve your issue, combined with a sense of self-entitlement, you were probably going to end up down that road.

3) Xtort im glad you called me a kid i wouldnt of figured it out any other way (btw 18 is a legal adult, seeing as you expertise in criminology you would know) Yes my NAT is open, i still DC, DMZ, i still DC, direct connect to Cisco AIO, DC.

Not in BC. 19 is the legal adult age. Your NAT will never be open, it just merely supports uPnP and will open/close ports when required. XBL still has issues with uPnP from time to time. A 200 ms ping to Google will not kick you off XBL.

Shaw has obviously not done their part if the problem still persists.. And its 100% not a problem with XBL or EAO, im the only one in my city who i know of who are experiencing these drops.

Yes they have, minus rolling a maintenance tech to your distribution node. That will happen is when enough people on your node complain about this issue, and that is dependent on the demographic of the neighbourhood.

In a /ping google.com /t test sometimes i notice that the ping reaches around 200ms.

A lag spike won't kick you off XBL. A ping test coming back with no response during those tests would be indicate a signal loss. Your modem isn't losing a connection.

Also before i lagout the game tends to get really laggy and I rubber band. Sometimes i will lag out of a xbox live party, auto reconnect, then moments later lose connection to XBOX Live. pingtest.com returns no packet loss and around 3ms jitter.

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
Please don't tell me you're connecting to the Xbox using wifi.
Have you done this:
»support.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbo···y-errors
(scroll down to Frequently disconnected from Xbox LIVE)

fender

join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC
I had the best luck putting my 360 into a DMZ. YMMV

ravenchilde_t

join:2012-05-03
OP:

What is the DHCP lease time set to on your Cisco DPC3825? Is it in Bridged Mode? If not, why not? (and call to get bridged) If yes, what is the DHCP lease time set to on your router?

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
Wow buddy... just for the reference, what is that you make weekly?

I played in an AlienWare tourney for Left 4 Dead 2 on PC, and to get the top three spots was impossible.

People actually play competitively on XBOX? That blew my gasket...

And lastly wouldn't a part time Landscaping/Pressure-cleaning job be a better use of your time and health?

As far as the networking goes, I played the tourney on a Novus connection, ping 5ms to California, I couldn't have gotten to 20th place with Shaw... no way... it's just too encumbered by the DOCSIS infrastructure. You need pure Internet for competitive play.

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
I wish there was a thumbs up button for you and EricRP and Xtort...... I agree wholeheartedly with your posts, this iSpitfire even though he claims he's over 18-19, sure acts like the a child, much like the loser roommates I have had who are too lazy to get a real job and blame everyone else for their problems. They don't last long and end up living elsewhere. His attitude does nothing to help his cause or get something fixed or show he's an adult.

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN
Do you get disconnected when you AREN'T competing ? As in, does it happen irregardless if you are playing for money or playing for fun ?

Just curious, Good Luck!
--
Onsite Computer Support in Memphis
»www.memphispcguy.com

fender

join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC
said by MemphisPCGuy:

irregardless

Pet peeve... The word is regardless. There is no such thing as 'irregardless'.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

Edmonton, AB
said by fender:

said by MemphisPCGuy:

irregardless

Believe it or not, the word still exists in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. It's not a common use word, but the 'no such thing' clause is false. /off-topic

I suggest we conclude this thread, as the OP has ran off with his tail tucked between his legs.

ShawUser_t

join:2012-05-08
Vancouver, BC
reply to pkarlos_76
said by pkarlos_76:

I wish there was a thumbs up button for you and EricRP and Xtort...... I agree wholeheartedly with your posts, this iSpitfire even though he claims he's over 18-19, sure

"Senior in high school" = 17-18 no?

His Xbox better not be wireless...

Anon
reply to MemphisPCGuy
@memphisPCguy i disconnect whenever. I can sit idle for hours and come back to see myself disconnected. I can sit on the main menu and eventually disconnect.

@pkarlos thats cool dude. i dont come here to make friends i came here to trouble shoot. I could really careless what someone thinks about me on a forum about broadband lol.

@ravenchilde By any chance do you know the log in username and PW to log into the Cisco? I tried the username and pass stickered to the side but they do not work.

@ShawUser my xbox is wired

@Xtort If i were to disconnect from EA and then Xbox Live it means im disconnecting from two services at the same time. IW runs their games off of P2P connections so of coarse it would seem that you DC from 1 thing only., if i DC from EA i DC from their Master Server + an individual Dedicated Server which = 1 service (EA Online) then 5 seconds later I DC from XBOX Live. If i were to just disconnect from XBOX Live I wouldnt see the "Disconnected from EA Online" message, it will cut straight to main menu and then "Disconencted from XBL"

ErikRP

join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to XT0RT
said by XT0RT:

said by fender:

said by MemphisPCGuy:

irregardless

Believe it or not, the word still exists in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. It's not a common use word, but the 'no such thing' clause is false. /off-topic

Agreed - the word "exists" but where it is found in the dictionary it is more to note that its usage is technically incorrect. It's almost impossible to use it correctly.

In the case of MemphisPCGuy's comment, "As in, does it happen irregardless if you are playing for money or playing for fun?" it should be "regardless", since he's wondering if the disconnects happen either time, no matter what (regardless).

Since the "ir" in irregardless would make the word to mean "not regardless", it's almost impossible to have a situation where the word would ever make sense. Go ahead, try it. I think you'll find it quite a challenge.

/getting seriously off-topic

Lesaonar

join:2000-07-25
Victoria, BC
reply to XT0RT
said by XT0RT:

Not in BC. 19 is the legal adult age.

The age you become an adult is national, not provincial, and is 18yrs of age. The age of majority is the age you can vote and join the military, which is 18.

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
Whatever yall just jelly the guy is making big bucks by pwning n00bz.

ravenchilde_t

join:2012-05-03
said by :

@ravenchilde By any chance do you know the log in username and PW to log into the Cisco? I tried the username and pass stickered to the side but they do not work.

No, I don't know. It also won't work if you are in bridged mode. Are you in bridged mode?

Anon
yes im in bridged mode

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
said by [user= :

]yes im in bridged mode

Then you can't access the unit. You'll want to investigate your router DHCP lease times, and try bypassing it if problems persist.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Have you tried, connecting your XBox directly to the modem, getting an external IP on your XBox?

And yes, if your Live connection drops, your game will drop too, all of the games, require a Live Gold connection to play.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

Edmonton, AB

1 edit
reply to Lesaonar
said by Lesaonar:

said by XT0RT:

Not in BC. 19 is the legal adult age.

The age you become an adult is national, not provincial, and is 18yrs of age. The age of majority is the age you can vote and join the military, which is 18.

The Federal Government doesn't set the rules on drivers' licenses, Provincial elections, and purchases of vices such as alcohol and tobacco products. You're partially right, but as long as he is in BC, he's subject to the Province's Age of Majority act. Remember how legal statutes work - Provincial before Federal. Even the RCMP has to operate in that fashion.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 485M @ 580M : 8GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
rat-hole alert

Flamesfan

join:2011-03-28
Can you play online games without an XBL Gold account? You need to the connection to XBL to play games online. But you are correct though. The 2 services are fine. It's probably your Xbox or your router. The node split will only affect the bandwidth in your area, if you are getting 60Mb p/s then it's not a saturation problem (Some people on here pray for 60 Mb p/s).

Have you tried gaming when directly to the modem? Have you replaced your network cable? Have you borrowed a friends Xbox and tried it at your house? Have you tried your xbox at a friends house? How long is the cable between your router/modem and your xbox?

Have you talked to ShawSean yet?

Edit: missed the second page, removed questions