how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ahent

join:2006-10-06
Johnston, IA

[IA] Whole House DVR

With DSLreports.com in limp mode I am not able to adequatley search, so don't yell at me for asking this since I am sure the topic has been covered before.
I am looking into the whole house dvr system and was looking for some opinions and maybe and idea of how it is hooked up and works. My house is 2 years old, rg6 home runs for all cable, rj45 connections behind all tvs, the two tvs that would potentially be hooked up actually have 2 home run rg6 connections per tv (contractor said in case I got satellite).
I am assuming that these connections will be enough but just curious what I NEED to have them hooked up, how long it takes, what boxes are used, and anybody's personal experience with the boxes/process, etc. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

1 edit

The DCTs used are Pace Denalis

»www.pace.com/americas/products-c···rng150n/

The hard drive is a 500 GB Pace Jayhawk (Dc900x) and this is the total capacity for up to 3 DCTs and at this time it is not expandable. Home run wiring is a must and your wiring should do just fine. In fact instead of having one splitter behind the Jayhawk and a Denali connected to it you can have them use the other line so it's a 100% home run. Not necessary but why not?

PS I noticed some installers are installing MOCA filters behind the modem so make sure not to let them do it since it will most likely cause problems. They only need to install one MOCA filter at the main splitter for your TV outlets (if you have an amp, the best place for it is on amp output aka RF out).

Overall the service is OK. It's not perfect and you may see some glitches but Pace did a lot to improve it.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

ahent

Johnston, IA

Thanks for the input. Yes, I have an amp (electroline eda-ft08100, yes, it is an awesome amp) and everything in the house runs through it. The main drop comes into the house and is then split one side to modem the other side to the amp (no phone service through mediacom).
As for the hard drive, that is an increase in space (and a major reason for the upgrade) since I am still running a pace apache on one tv and a moto dct6412 phase 3 on the other with a combined storage capacity of like 270gb. No real troubles with either for years, but I am now looking for more capacity with all the HD now available and it would be nice to watch something on one tv that recorded on another.

ZC_217

join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA
reply to ahent

I actually just got the whole house DVR installed about a month ago. It's pretty good so far, the boxes have had some little issues. Like some channels wouldn't tune in but if I power cycled the box then everything would be fine again. There are a few other unique things to it that I've seen come up. I have 3 DVRs going back to the Jayhawk and haven't really had any issues with storage and I don't record anything that's not in HD.

I have 13 hrs of HD on it right now taking up ~29% of the drive space on the Jayhawk.

Whatever you do, stay away from TiVo's. I had nothing but issues with them and they even admitted they have an issue but refuse to fix it. Any time the channel map changes you'll loose channels until you spend 10-12 hrs re-running the guided set up. And 10-12 hrs is on the quick side.

There are other solutions that are available for computers and multi-stream cable cards but that takes more network capable tv's and things like that.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you!

Anonymous
Premium
IA
reply to ahent

That amplifier will have to go for 2 reasons

1 You need a single port amp so the MOCA filter is installed on the output
2 Mediacom does not want any 3rd party amps used
--

ahent

Johnston, IA

As Brick Tamland might say: "I love amp!"
That's from Anchorman for those that live under a rock. Well I have had a good run with the amp so I guess if I decide to go with whole house DVR I will just have to watch the guy install it and collect the parts as he puts them aside. I may have a use for it for something else.

Anonymous
Premium
IA

It's a good amp so yeah you wanna keep it.

lhollow

join:2010-12-02
IL
reply to Anonymous

said by Anonymous:

Wouldn't the filter work on the input side of the amp?

Anonymous
Premium
IA

said by lhollow:

said by Anonymous:

Wouldn't the filter work on the input side of the amp?

No. Pace reps want MOCA signal not reaching the amplifier.
--

lhollow

join:2010-12-02
IL

said by Anonymous:

No. Pace reps want MOCA signal not reaching the amplifier.

Do they have a good reason or just paranoid?

He has network cable behind every TV -- it could be set up to use network cable instead of coax. The equipment supports it, but Mediacom may not.

Nexis

join:2002-04-29
USA
Reviews:
·US Cellular
reply to ahent

The desired way to run it would be all 3 boxes home run to a balanced 3-way splitter. The MOCA filter would be on the input side of that 3-way splitter.

That being said, if you have cat5 ran to every tv location, you can stick the MOCA dongles into the closet and do away with that part. You will need a gigabit switch (pace says it has to be gigabit, i used a 10/100 switch) and some patch cables. Isolate the cat5 cables that feed the TVs from any computer networking you have, and plug them into the switch.

Check out this »mediacomcable.com/pdf/Pace%20DC9···uide.pdf page 9. Shows you how to run it, just make sure you have the low pass filter on the back of the jayhawk.

I agree that the amp will cause problems eventually. I've seen them make some nasty noise in the return path, and its only +3db per port on 8 ports. One of our provided subscriber amps and a 8 way will net you +4.5db per port on the 8 way. Depending on how many TVs you have, and what your levels are coming into the house, you may not even need the amp. Most of the time with self-installed amps you are over driving your signal causing tiling and other problems.

ahent

Johnston, IA

said by Nexis:

You will need a gigabit switch (pace says it has to be gigabit, i used a 10/100 switch) and some patch cables. Isolate the cat5 cables that feed the TVs from any computer networking you have, and plug them into the switch.

I knew when I wired the whole house for gigabit it would come in handy some day.

Anonymous
Premium
IA
reply to Nexis

MOCA dongles were external with Apache DCTs. Denalis DCTs have it built it but it can be disabled/enabled as needed.
--

StreatorTech

join:2009-12-02
Streator, IL
reply to Nexis

There should only be one low pass filter and thats at the splitter configuration. If you put a filter ont he Jayhawk, you won't get communication to the two other clients

Nexis

join:2002-04-29
USA

if he runs the communication over the Ethernet, then he would want the low pass on the back of the jayhawk.

Anonymous
Premium
IA

They most likely will not touch his ethernet wiring. The installers are trained to do it in a specific way and the only ethernet cable being used is a short ethernet cable from the Jayhawk to the 'red-dot' Denali (Apache DCTs need external dongles but Mediacom is no longer using them).

So one filter at the output of the amp, home run wiring and the 'red dot' needs to have MOCA disabled with no filters.
--

SnakeEyes

join:2005-05-18
Johnston, IA
reply to ZC_217

said by ZC_217:

Whatever you do, stay away from TiVo's. I had nothing but issues with them and they even admitted they have an issue but refuse to fix it. Any time the channel map changes you'll loose channels until you spend 10-12 hrs re-running the guided set up. And 10-12 hrs is on the quick side.

As a user of multiple TiVo DVRs (S1, S2, and S3,) not a single word of this is true.

ZC_217

join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA

said by SnakeEyes:

As a user of multiple TiVo DVRs (S1, S2, and S3,) not a single word of this is true.

As a former user of a Series3 HD and Premier...I can assure you that it is very true.

Series 2 and Series 1s are not affected because they don't have digital tuners in them. If they are working on the new digital line up then you either are only getting a few channels or you have a DCT that it is connected to.
Expand your moderator at work