spc
uniqs

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: DSLR Restore Progress

whats wrong with making backups? i just did one yesturday... cost me $1 in media

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

@ El Quintron & Paolo :

Absolutely, but I was just making a general point regarding relative severity.

Incremental backups once daily at about 5 AM Eastern time might be optimal.

And now, having said all of that, I really ought to back up some more of my OWN personal stuff right away.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

And having said all of that, I really ought to back up some more of my OWN stuff right away.

An easy way to prevent a catastrophe that I've found, is by keeping your datas and OSes on separate drives, at least that way if one drive goes you're not completely screwed.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

An easy way to prevent a catastrophe that I've found, is by keeping your datas and OSes on separate drives, at least that way if one drive goes you're not completely screwed.

....which of course is not the Windoze default setting.

I do keep some of my data on other physical drives, even better on other PCs across my LAN, and/or on external USB hard drives.

But there is some with which I have been complacent and need to catch up - docs, bookmarks, & downloaded web pages - all of which default to C: .

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

....which of course is not the Windoze default setting.

Of course not... which is silly because both Linux and OS X separate the OS from the Data by default... even if they don't go all the way by using separate partions, recovery is substantially easier.