spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dhar

join:2004-07-05

[CATV] HD Plus Pak and CableCARD

I have an HDHomeRun Prime CableCARD device.

For several months, IFCHD, DIYHD, COOKHD, H2HD, and G4HD have been in my Windows Media Center guide. I'm able to tune DIYHD and COOKHD but not the others. These are HD channels in the 1200s for which I get the SD versions in the 200s.

Recently, I noticed three new Showtime HD channels and two new TMC HD channels have been added. Although I subscribe to these services, I cannot tune them.

None of these channels show up in the guide for the Cox DVR in the other room.

Cox has at least two support articles on its web site stating that the "HD Plus Pak" is available to CableCARD devices including my Prime, but I can't find a definition of what it is. One of them says it's been available since Dec 2011, and they were both updated Mar 26, 2012.

I've called and spoken to 4 different reps over the months, and none of them knew what I was talking about. The last one told me none of these channels show up in his DVR's guide, so that's that. (Never mind that I can tune DIYHD and COOKHD!)

Can anyone here clarify what the HD Plus Pak is and explain what I should be getting? I have seen discussions that the first five channels are perks of the whole home DVR service (which is available in my area) but should also be available to CableCARD users whose equipment can tune them (1 GHz, MPEG4). And my understanding is that I should be getting the new Showtime and TMC channels since I subscribe to them.

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2

4 edits

What City are you located in?

Here is the list of Plus Package Channels by Market and Launch Date:
(may be a few changes since I created the list)
»www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre···19724898

Note you must also subscribe to the corresponding channel package.
IFCHD, G4HD and H2HD are NOT part of the Plus Package. IFCHD is the Movie Pak.

I would call 877-820-8202, you will most likely get someone in Omaha, NE. Someone there should know about the Plus Package HD channels, If not ask for their supervisor.

»ww2.cox.com/residential/support/···0000000}
CableCARD Devices and Plus Pak Channels

Last Updated: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 > Related Articles

The TiVo Premiere (including XL and Elite/XL4), the Ceton InfiniTV, and the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime can tune to 1 GHz and decode in MPEG4, which makes them compatible with the Plus Pak channels.
(NOTE: the TiVo Premiere/XL/Elite/XL4 needs a software update before they will be capable of MPEG4 (H.264) used in AZ, and Virgina. This update from TiVo is expected in May)

CableCARD Devices and Plus Pak Channels

As of December 1, 2011, Cox allows eligible UDCPs (retail CableCARD devices) to access the Plus Pak channels. Customers with devices that are able to tune to 1 GHz and decode in MPEG4 are capable of viewing these channels, which are offered at no additional charge. If you have a qualified device not currently receiving the Plus Pak channels and are interested in accessing them, please contact us.

More CableCARD and Plus Pak Info
»ww2.cox.com/residential/arizona/···0000000}

dhar

Thanks for that. Here's my channel line-up:

»ww2.cox.com/residential/greaterl···neup.cox

Unlike the ones you linked to on avsforum, sadly I see no "Plus Package HD", though just about all the Plus Package channels (for Santa Barbara, say) do appear in my HDHomerun Prime's guide (I didn't list HBO and some others as I don't subscribe to them), though none appear in my Cox DVR's guide. However, these pages do exist and appear to be the same as the ones you linked to for various markets:

»ww2.cox.com/residential/greaterl···kage.cox
»ww2.cox.com/residential/greaterl···trio.cox

They've been there for months, probably since Oct 2011 at least, and the whole home DVR has been available for months as well. I don't know anyone with the latter, so I don't know what they get.

I'll try the number you gave me, but I guess Cox is just really lagging in my area.

signcarver

join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit
reply to dhar

I didn't see you mention the area you are in but are you sure you get those channels... In phoenix I frequently get channels in the media center guide that are not on my system, often about a month before the launch of those channels, in some cases it has been a premature switch to the pacific feed of a channel or mistakenly adding a sub channel or two from tucson when I'm in phoenix. What usually happens is I see the channel in the guide for a week, then its removed, if it was a channel we are to get rather than a mistake, the channel goes live a few weeks later, then I need to wait another week or two for the guide to get it back.

BTW, in my area for the 1st 5 you mentioned, I get just fine and the 2 you get are in mpeg4/h264... the 3 you are not getting are currently in mpeg2. I wasn't expecting to get the channels but when I activated the cable card, the person asked me if it was for a tivo or a media center pc and everything came in fine on my pc. Also if you are in an SDV area, you will need a tuning adapter, cook and diy are in the 300 channel map that the cable card alone would get, the other 3 are only in the tuning adapters map.

Edit: sorry you posted your area while editing... It looks like your plus pack only currently gets 10 extra channels (most markets its about 25) It would not surprise me that the guide company added all the plus pack channels not just the 10 your area gets (probably 7 extra HBOs thats why nothing else is working)

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to dhar

I does not appear Greater Louisiana has officially launched any Plus Package channels, The PDF is dated 03/12. They are probably live for testing only. Once launched these channels will still not show up on your Cox Receivers unless you get the Whole Home DVR package also.

If you tune to DIYHD and COOKHD, from the HDHomeRun Prime tuner diagnostic, can you determine if the channels are MPEG2 or MPEG4 (H.264)
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC Passport: 3.1.091, OS: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp,
DIY-eSATA DVR Expander WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX, No Enclosure

dhar

They're MPEG4, and they cause a weird state in which after tuning them, I can't tune many other channels without first going through a channel such as NBC HD, which resets the condition to normal operation. I was hoping this would resolve itself after they enabled the channels, but it looks like that isn't happening. Oh well, I guess I'll keep waiting to add them to the guide subset I normally use in Media Center.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to signcarver

said by signcarver:

It looks like your plus pack only currently gets 10 extra channels (most markets its about 25) It would not surprise me that the guide company added all the plus pack channels not just the 10 your area gets (probably 7 extra HBOs thats why nothing else is working)

Where do you see the 10 Plus Package channels listed for Greater Louisiana? I cannot find any in the listings.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC Passport: 3.1.091, OS: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp,
DIY-eSATA DVR Expander WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX, No Enclosure

dhar

reply to dhar

Interesting coincidence... Just checked my Prime logs, and early this morning, there were two sets of rebooting entries 10 minutes apart, each starting with "card indicated fatal error or firmware upgrade". (This was over 12 hours after I called Cox.) These are the only such entries since last reboot due to power cycling over a month ago. I can now tune the three new Showtime channels and two new TMC channels I mentioned in my first post. However, the status of the other five channels remains unchanged. As before, none of these channels show up in the guide for the Cox DVR in the other room.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 edit

do you know someone with the cisco whole hardware? maybe those three are still in testing and not even live. tivo lists Omaha as having Tennis HD GreenHD and a couple other channels that aren't part of the cox lineup in our area yet. maybe tribune jumped the gun.

dhar

reply to dhar

It's not just the CableCARD devices that Cox is messing up. It's Zap2It, AND Cox's own TV Listings web-based guide has all the new channels I mentioned. However, when I go to record one I definitely subscribe to (neat feature, BTW!), it tells me:

"You do not currently subscribe to this channel.

To order this channel, call Cox at 800-234-9002."

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

said by dhar:

It's not just the CableCARD devices that Cox is messing up. It's Zap2It, AND Cox's own TV Listings web-based guide has all the new channels I mentioned. However, when I go to record one I definitely subscribe to (neat feature, BTW!), it tells me:

"You do not currently subscribe to this channel.

To order this channel, call Cox at 800-234-9002."

I think they all get the guide data from tribune I could be wrong though. have you checked tivo's listings even if you don't have a tivo?

dhar

Yes, same thing on Tivo (web guide).

signcarver

Phoenix, AZ
reply to BryanInPHX

said by BryanInPHX:

Where do you see the 10 Plus Package channels listed for Greater Louisiana? I cannot find any in the listings.

»ww2.cox.com/residential/greaterl···kage.cox

On the plus pack page there it states:

"Over 1000 HD viewing choices. The Plus Package expands Cox HD service with even more channels. That's 10 more HD channels."

I have no idea what they are. I'm just surprised there are so few compared to other markets.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

exact language

Over 1000 HD viewing choices. The Plus Package expands Cox HD service with even more channels. That's 10 more HD channels.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
reply to signcarver

your area might be getting ready to launch more. what you listed is what Omaha has for the plus pack channels.

dhar

reply to signcarver

Ah, but that page is talking about the "Advanced TV Plus Package". This thread is about the "HD Plus Pak". It really feels like Cox is running a shell game, but if you could turn all the cups up, there'd be no pea.

signcarver

Phoenix, AZ

Should be the same thing as it "requires" Trio and WHDVR. In phoenix its just called Plus Package Channels not "HD Plus Pak".

BTW is your area a moto area rather than sa, for some reason I thought LA was moto, because I had another thought that it might be that only sa cards will get the plus pack map as I believe it is a different oob frequency and since only "WHDVR" equipment gets the channels they may not have it in the moto map but I'm not sure if they are using simulcrypt or resorting to one brand of card. It will probably take another month or two to iron out the kinks especially since I see no official references to the extra channels being in the lineup. It would really help if someone chimed in who actually has WHDVR in Louisiana and find out what they get.

I forgot how to check the channel map on the prime but is the channel in the map? I have gotten subscription required occasionally when not in the map but usually I get a message about not being on the cable system.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to dhar

I set-up a SiliconDust HomeRun Prime today, and got the Plus Package channels Authorized without any issues from Cox.
»ww2.cox.com/residential/arizona/···p.cox#20

The guy in Omaha knew exactly what I wanted and how to do it. I called 877-820-8202.

One interesting and very disappointing issue with these MPEG4 (H.264) channels is that the Intel Core i3 integrated HD graphics (GPU) does not display the Video. There is Audio but no Video. The Video comes in fine on my Laptop though, so I know they are working.

There was already a posting on AVSF that I was aware of. Anyone have any ideas, other than a future Intel driver update? Perhaps an inexpensive Video Card.
»www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre···=1392677
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 Desk, Win7 Toshiba Satellite A505-S6973
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.091, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX

dhar

reply to signcarver

said by signcarver:

BTW is your area a moto area

It is Motorola.

It would really help if someone chimed in who actually has WHDVR in Louisiana and find out what they get.

Indeed.

I forgot how to check the channel map on the prime but is the channel in the map?

All the channels I mentioned are in the map (accessible through the Prime's web server). So are some I didn't mention because I don't subscribe to them. They appear to be the same ones that are already available in other markets.

tim85254

join:2010-07-15
reply to BryanInPHX

said by BryanInPHX:

One interesting and very disappointing issue with these MPEG4 (H.264) channels is that the Intel Core i3 integrated HD graphics (GPU) does not display the Video. There is Audio but no Video. The Video comes in fine on my Laptop though, so I know they are working.

You might compare the list of installed codecs between your laptop and the machine with the Core i3 integrated graphics board. Also, is it a brand-name machine or built from discrete parts? Brand-name machine manufacturers will often list outdated Intel drivers as being the "latest" on their website - have you checked Intel's website directly to see if there's any update?

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
reply to signcarver

well they are using motorola cards in the cisco whole dvr's in the motorola areas, so that can't be it.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to BryanInPHX

MPEG4 (H.264) Plus Pak HD and CableCARD on TiVo

The MPEG4 (H.264) Plus Package HD Channels have been Fixed with TiVo SW Update w/ 20.2.1.1

RE: The "Spring Update" SW Vers. 20.2.1.1-01-2 started rolling out today.

I am VERY happy to confirm the issue with the Cox H.264 Plus Package HD Channels have been Fixed with the latest SW release.

Note: You still need to call Cox @ 877-820-8202 to have the Plus Pak channels added to your account. ask for HBO+, SHO+, Starz+, and/or Cinemax+
--
TiVo Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.091, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to tim85254

Re: [CATV] HD Plus Pak and CableCARD

said by tim85254:

said by BryanInPHX:

You might compare the list of installed codecs between your laptop and the machine with the Core i3 integrated graphics board. Also, is it a brand-name machine or built from discrete parts? Brand-name machine manufacturers will often list outdated Intel drivers as being the "latest" on their website - have you checked Intel's website directly to see if there's any update?

Both have Shark007 x64 Codecs installed, but I have tried removing them also with no changes

My PC is a custom build:
Intel Core i3-2105 - HD Graphics 3000 - Latest Driver Installed 8.15.10.2696
ASUS P8H67-V (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

My Laptop is a Toshiba w/ Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset

I am fairly sure this is an Intel i3/5 Core, Intel driver for its embedded video chip issue.
--