Search similar:

uniqs
Sympathy
join:2004-09-06
Newburgh, NY

Sympathy

[XPHome] One update from today (05/08/12) not installing! XP

Windows XP SP3.

The update is KB2686509. When I installed it, it failed. I checked this log file and saw this message "Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install KB2686509"

I went to kb update and saw the same message. "You receive this message if any registered keyboard layout files are not in the %Windir%\System32 folder. In this scenario, the computer is incompatible with the security updates."

why would the computer be incompatible?

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2686509

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

The answer to your question is further down in the KnowledgeBase article you cite:

What should I do if the installation of this security update fails with the "0x8007F0F4" error?
If you receive the "0x8007F0F4" error when you try to install this security update, follow these steps:
Open the Faultykeyboard.log file that is in the %windir% folder. This log file contains information about registered keyboard layout files that are not in the %Windir%\System32 folder. The log file will resemble the following:

Keyboard1.dll
.\Layoutfiles\keyboard2.dll
C:\Windows\System\Kbda1.dll
Note In this example, the first entry is just a file name. The second entry includes a relative path with the file name. The third entry includes a full path of the file.
Copy the files that are listed in the Faultykeyboard.log log file into the System32 folder.

jakeydsl
Jakey In Joisey - Imperfect Together
join:2001-01-07
Montclair, NJ

jakeydsl to Sympathy

to Sympathy
A subject of heavy discussion at Microsoft Answers...

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 8927b79c
rmgalley
join:2012-05-10

rmgalley to Sympathy

to Sympathy
Another reason for failure to install KB2686509

I had used a stripped down slipstreamed installation of Windows XP Pro SP3 using nLite removing, amongst other items, all superfluous keyboard layouts. However I found four missing keyboard layouts were required to install this update. These were found by opening 'faultykeyboard.log' in 'C:\Windows' and were, in my case:

Dvorak US English keyboard
US Multinational keyboard
Dvorak left-hand US keyboard
Dvorak right-hand US keyboard

To fix I placed a copy of:
KBDDV.DLL
KBDUSX.DLL
KBDUSL.DLL
KBDUSR.DLL
from the original (non-stripped down Windows set-up disc) into ...

C:Windows\System32
(and C:\Windows\System32\dllcache - for completeness).

... and the update installed correctly.

QUOTE FROM MS WEBSITE: How does this update work?

This update enumerates all the keyboard layout files that are registered on your computer, and then it verifies that they are all in the %Windir%\System32 folder.

You may receive an error message:
Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install KB2686509 failed (0x8007F0F4)

You receive this message if any registered keyboard layout files are not in the %Windir%\System32 folder. In this scenario, the computer is incompatible with the security updates.

ltsnow
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA

ltsnow

Premium Member

Correctamundo, rmgallery. I had exactly the same situation you did and fixed it exactly the same way.

martinwill2
@comcast.net

martinwill2

Anon

Does not work. Five files listed in faultykeyboard.log are
kbdsp.kbd
kbdno.kbd
kbdla.kbd
kbdus.kbd
kbdycl.kbd
and multiple instances of some of these.
I found all of the corresponding .dll files in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 but to be sure went to the dllcache directory and copied the dll files from there into the above directory and ran Windows Update again, with the same result. No error code is given by Windows Update, only the message ... failed.
Microsoft MUST come up with a Fixit solution. I've wasted HOURS today trying to find a workable solution to no effect, on two computers that have legitimate Windows XP SP3 OSes installed in them. I also ran Fixit for Windows Update but it didn't find or correct the problem. Windows Automatic Updates repeatedly comes up in the bottom right and repeatedly fails to install the update, with no explanation. and no error code.

Dave1949
@plus.net

Dave1949

Anon

It appears to be something to do with the keyboard if you have re-mapped keys or (as in my case) disabled Caps Lock. I re-enabled that on the two machines I have that were affected and the update installed OK and I then disabled Caps Lock again afterwards. My laptop hadn't been tweaked and the update was fine from scratch. MS solution seems hideously complicated. I have seen another post elsewhere that seems to confirm this.

g7mzh
@plus.com

g7mzh

Anon

I have no Faultykeyboard.log, the Registry entry referred to doesn't exist, all the DLLs referred to are present in both SYSTEM32 and DLLCACHE, I am using a standard keyboard and nothing has ever been remapped or disabled. Still no joy.

jakeydsl
Jakey In Joisey - Imperfect Together
join:2001-01-07
Montclair, NJ

jakeydsl to Sympathy

to Sympathy
For those still struggling with this problematical MS update, progress has been made in advancing solutions to several different causalities.

Check the MS support forum previously linked for the latest.