share rss forum feed

Moropo
Premium
join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·America Online

which type of modem is needed?

My dad is currently paying $7 for the rental modem and wants to buy a modem to stop paying the monthly fee etc.

He currently has some very slow speeds like around 1.5 mb download or something but since he recently put netflix he is planning to upgrade his speed to around 10mb, or whatever comcast has closest to that.

First of all: is a Docsis 3 needed for 10-20 mb speeds? If yes, could you please recommend a cheap one (in price)? If no, even though its not needed, do you still think he should get it docsis 3 to future-proof?

Thanks.
--
B.S. and M.S. in Math
will begin my PhD in Math at University of Miami on Fall 2012

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

no a d3 modem isnt needed.....helpful, but not needed....it can help ease congestion and stabilize your connection...

dont know what you think cheap to be, but $70 for a zoom d3 modem..
seeing as a older surfboard is $55 i think its a good deal...

»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable···_title_3
--
I'm better than you!

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Just be careful because a non D3 modem most likely wont support IPv6 which that in and of itself is an improvement towards futureproofness.

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to Moropo

Sounds like he has the economy level, here is the Comcast approved modem list »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ any modem on it should work fine.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to Moropo

If you have Comcast digital voice service you'll need to buy an emta to avoid the $7 modem lease charge. If it's only internet service, than practically any D3 modem on the list will do the job.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Moropo

You didn't specify whether your dad is getting just internet, or internet and voice.

If he gets both internet and voice, it gets a bit convoluted, as there is a very limited "own your own" path with eMTAs. Currently, the only approved eMTA modem self-owned, is the Arris TM722G, and only if purchased through a Best Buy with a Comcast center. It may or may not be all that cost-effective a move (the TM 722G goes for $149...then add on Comcast's set-up charge)

On the other hand, if your dad has internet only through Comcast, it gets a lot easier!

Your dad is probably going to want to upgrade to the "Performance" tier based on desired download speeds stated (although Netflix can run just fine on Performance Starter, which is 6Mbps down).

Although a Docsis 3.0 modem may not be mandatory, I can think of no compelling reason to even think of anything less.

For example, you can nab a Zoom 5341J for $89 or less (you can find them cheaper on-line). It is a good, current Docsis 3.0 modem that will give good service and pay for itself after the first year over renting. there are other Comcast approved D3 modems that are just fine as well.

As EG points out, even if you do not need a Docsis 3.0 modem based on speed alone, the ability for Docsis 3.0 to bond 4 to 8 channels, will maintain more consistent throughput than an earlier Docsis 2.0 or 1.1 modem, which is particulalry good news for streaming video!

My only caveat: Do not try to save a buck by buying a modem that you do not know is new. There are used/stolen modems sold on ebay and such, that Comcast may not provision...IMHO, spend a buck and get one from a trusted retail source.
--
Deeds, not words

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

Just be careful because a non D3 modem most likely wont support IPv6 which that in and of itself is an improvement towards futureproofness.

tell that to......

said by AVonGauss:

I'm not sure why you're under the impression it does not, but the SB6120 should work fine when IPv6 is deployed in an area - it is even listed as compatible on the Comcast list.

said by scooby:

The 6120 works great with IPv6.

Moropo
Premium
join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·America Online
reply to Moropo

Sorry for not giving this info earlier. He doesn't have voice, he only has internet and cable (although he wants to remove cable now that he has netflix but I think they raise the price of Internet if you remove cable so it may not be worth it, we have to look into it)

So since he has no voice, I'm glad to hear it's simpler with the modems. The Zoom recommended by gar187er goes for $70 at Amazon and it's new (following peteC2 advise) and at a very good price point. I think we will purchase that.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge, we appreciate it.

Also, where could I find the prices of the different internet tiers for existing customers? All I ever see are the 6 months new customer specials etc.
--
B.S. and M.S. in Math
will begin my PhD in Math at University of Miami on Fall 2012

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to medbuyer

huh? I don't know what you want me to tell them because all three of us agree that D3 modems support IPv6.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to medbuyer

said by medbuyer:

said by Mike Wolf:

tell that to......

said by AVonGauss:

I'm not sure why you're under the impression it does not, but the SB6120 should work fine when IPv6 is deployed in an area - it is even listed as compatible on the Comcast list.

said by scooby:

The 6120 works great with IPv6.

Ah...yep...but then of course the SB6120 is a D3 modem (even if you call it a "6120")...just saying...
--
Deeds, not words

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Moropo

said by Moropo:

Also, where could I find the prices of the different internet tiers for existing customers? All I ever see are the 6 months new customer specials etc.

LuisRodg, I would recommend calling Comcast. One of the confusing things that I discovered when switching from dsl to Comcast, there are a number of different offers based on your location, and you will probably wangle the best deal by giving them a call rather than counting on their web site.

I did not even realize that I counted as an "existing" customer because I rent a HD box from them (the rest of my cable bill is paid by my apartment complex). In fact, it may sound paranoid or at least fussy, but I called a couple different times, speaking to different representatives before settling on the best deal for my situation.
--
Deeds, not words

shades

join:2001-06-26
Williamstown, NJ
reply to Moropo

I have a D2 voice and internet modem i currently rent, are the D3 modems still the same rental price?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

Yep, $7 a month either way. The eMTAs may or may not be as easy to get. As I mentioned, initially they sent me both a D2 eMTA as well as a D3 modem for intermet. I did get them to replace the two with a D3 eMTA.

Keep in mind, they are supposed to charge you shipping ($10), but they waived it for me. They will charge you the $10 for provisioning the new modem.
--
Deeds, not words

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit
reply to Mike Wolf

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···12119170 I think this might be useful with whatever modem is chosen.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 edit

No longer relevant now that poster edited their posting.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Moropo

go for a D3 modem just for better connection stability and being ready for IPv6.

and as stated before in the thread, Do not use Ebay or Craigslist. Yes going to the bestbuy or Newegg/Amazon costs more but you will know then it is new and has never been on an account.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports