how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pen25

join:2002-08-11
Tulsa, OK

3 hour limit

i have noticed that i get disconnected after 3 hours of talking. i opened a ticket and was told this is policy yet i did not see it in the tos or faq. i did start reading through and see there is a 5800 min limit though in the fine print. i work from home at night at times and i am a host of a conference bridge when i do work from him. this does not make me happy what so ever.

i understand this is a business but seriously? this isnt wireless. if i wanted these types of limits id have went with majicjack and saved myself a ton of money.

after my ticket was closed i got no response as this asking where it is in the user agreement.

dmolavi
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Sewell, NJ
If you work from home and use this line for business, you should consider one of VT's business plans instead. Their monthly limit is over 10,000 minutes, so the 3 hr connection timeout you hit may be higher.

Also, it may have something to do with the registration timings on the servers, etc...
--
NukedGallery.net
TheMolavis.com

pen25

Tulsa, OK
this isnt a business and no need to have a business plan. i fall within the total # of minutes they say i can us on my unlimited plan. my problem is i am told that it is in thier policy to cut a user off after 3 hours even though it is not in thier uap and tos.

I would get the same thing from magicjack and it is already known of the 3 hour limit and acceptable.

anyway be forwarned there is a 3 hour limit on max calls.

BTW this was just something recently added as i have hosted these calls for 2 years now and just within this year have they started to cut off the calls and i have been a subscriber for 3 years so far

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by pen25:

I work from home at night....I am a host of a conference bridge when I do work from home....

said by pen25:

This isnt a business and no need to have a business plan.

Hmmmm.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
reply to pen25
said by pen25:

i work from home at night at times and i am a host of a conference bridge when i do work from him.(sic)

said by PX Eliezer70:

Hmmmm.

I too work from home at times when I have a need outside of normal business hours and need to get a little extra done, need to work with people in other time zones, when I have an appointment at the house or a sick kid. I guess the question would be if at times is on a consistent basis? Are these daily, weekly or monthly events?

None of the activities from home I do should require me to have business class phone or internet, but if I had the need to host very long phone conferences with regularity and doing so was important to my livelihood, I probably wouldn't do so on a budget phone service, which many residential VoIP providers are. That doesn't mean they don't provide good service for most people most of the time, but 3 hour calls is extreme.

I hadn't scanned the VT TOS for a while, but I do agree if there is a limit imposed, it should be listed. They do say residential service should not be used for "consistent" activity that could be considered "commercial". That is the closest thing I see that could apply.

My suggestion would be to call and try to engage them in a conversation and see if you can have the limit extended for you line. I have no idea if they would, but if these calls are not too regular, perhaps something could be worked out.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by unknvoip:

3 hour calls is extreme.

That's the thing.

And keep in mind that he is [complaining] about getting cut off after 3 hours.

So he really wants calls that are [longer] than 3 hours---say 4 hours or 5 hours or whatever.

3 hours is just where they are cutting him off.

I have never been a fan of the VT company, and I have many posts critical of them. But here this seems a little much for a customer to expect.

------------------------

Besides, a business that needs conference calls that are 4 or 5 or 6 hours is truly dysfunctional.

They need to stop yapping and get cracking.

Dilbert's company times a thousand.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to pen25
I though most cutoffs when true where more of a safety feature if the phone didn't hang up. Then you would not have say a 24 hour call with no body on it.

I know CallCentric allows adjustment of the cutoff time on their control panel.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
reply to pen25
Wonder if I am the cause of this. Back in March incoming call failed to disconnect. Didn't notice anything on my end all other calls seemed fine but call lasted 419:59 before it finally disconnected.

pen25

Tulsa, OK
reply to PX Eliezer70
at times i work at home. but regardless if i was on a conference call or on the phone with my mother. this isnt something i am using beyond what they consider normal min usage.

pen25

Tulsa, OK
reply to nonymous
if this were the case this is a problem at the server side not receiving the proper disconnect packet. and the difference between talking to my mom for 5 hours and hosting a conference call once a week is? again nothig in the tos or aup stating there is a 3 hour limit and before this year was no problem to have a call for 6 or 7 hours.

dcurrey: doubt you were the cause. the call would not have remained up in the switch unless there are problems on the terminating leg. this is how i knew the problem was with VT and not the term end provider which happens to be the company i work for. i went in and looked at the disco logs on the bridge and seen we were issued the disconnect.