how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pen25

join:2002-08-11
Tulsa, OK

3 hour limit

i have noticed that i get disconnected after 3 hours of talking. i opened a ticket and was told this is policy yet i did not see it in the tos or faq. i did start reading through and see there is a 5800 min limit though in the fine print. i work from home at night at times and i am a host of a conference bridge when i do work from him. this does not make me happy what so ever.

i understand this is a business but seriously? this isnt wireless. if i wanted these types of limits id have went with majicjack and saved myself a ton of money.

after my ticket was closed i got no response as this asking where it is in the user agreement.

dmolavi
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Sewell, NJ
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
·Verizon FiOS

If you work from home and use this line for business, you should consider one of VT's business plans instead. Their monthly limit is over 10,000 minutes, so the 3 hr connection timeout you hit may be higher.

Also, it may have something to do with the registration timings on the servers, etc...
--
NukedGallery.net
TheMolavis.com

pen25

Tulsa, OK

this isnt a business and no need to have a business plan. i fall within the total # of minutes they say i can us on my unlimited plan. my problem is i am told that it is in thier policy to cut a user off after 3 hours even though it is not in thier uap and tos.

I would get the same thing from magicjack and it is already known of the 3 hour limit and acceptable.

anyway be forwarned there is a 3 hour limit on max calls.

BTW this was just something recently added as i have hosted these calls for 2 years now and just within this year have they started to cut off the calls and i have been a subscriber for 3 years so far

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
·Optimum Voice
·Vitelity VOIP

said by pen25:

I work from home at night....I am a host of a conference bridge when I do work from home....

said by pen25:

This isnt a business and no need to have a business plan.

Hmmmm.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
reply to pen25

said by pen25:

i work from home at night at times and i am a host of a conference bridge when i do work from him.(sic)

said by PX Eliezer7:

Hmmmm.

I too work from home at times when I have a need outside of normal business hours and need to get a little extra done, need to work with people in other time zones, when I have an appointment at the house or a sick kid. I guess the question would be if at times is on a consistent basis? Are these daily, weekly or monthly events?

None of the activities from home I do should require me to have business class phone or internet, but if I had the need to host very long phone conferences with regularity and doing so was important to my livelihood, I probably wouldn't do so on a budget phone service, which many residential VoIP providers are. That doesn't mean they don't provide good service for most people most of the time, but 3 hour calls is extreme.

I hadn't scanned the VT TOS for a while, but I do agree if there is a limit imposed, it should be listed. They do say residential service should not be used for "consistent" activity that could be considered "commercial". That is the closest thing I see that could apply.

My suggestion would be to call and try to engage them in a conversation and see if you can have the limit extended for you line. I have no idea if they would, but if these calls are not too regular, perhaps something could be worked out.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
·Optimum Voice
·Vitelity VOIP

said by unknvoip:

3 hour calls is extreme.

That's the thing.

And keep in mind that he is [complaining] about getting cut off after 3 hours.

So he really wants calls that are [longer] than 3 hours---say 4 hours or 5 hours or whatever.

3 hours is just where they are cutting him off.

I have never been a fan of the VT company, and I have many posts critical of them. But here this seems a little much for a customer to expect.

------------------------

Besides, a business that needs conference calls that are 4 or 5 or 6 hours is truly dysfunctional.

They need to stop yapping and get cracking.

Dilbert's company times a thousand.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to pen25

I though most cutoffs when true where more of a safety feature if the phone didn't hang up. Then you would not have say a 24 hour call with no body on it.

I know CallCentric allows adjustment of the cutoff time on their control panel.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
reply to pen25

Wonder if I am the cause of this. Back in March incoming call failed to disconnect. Didn't notice anything on my end all other calls seemed fine but call lasted 419:59 before it finally disconnected.

pen25

Tulsa, OK
reply to PX Eliezer7

at times i work at home. but regardless if i was on a conference call or on the phone with my mother. this isnt something i am using beyond what they consider normal min usage.

pen25

Tulsa, OK
reply to nonymous

if this were the case this is a problem at the server side not receiving the proper disconnect packet. and the difference between talking to my mom for 5 hours and hosting a conference call once a week is? again nothig in the tos or aup stating there is a 3 hour limit and before this year was no problem to have a call for 6 or 7 hours.

dcurrey: doubt you were the cause. the call would not have remained up in the switch unless there are problems on the terminating leg. this is how i knew the problem was with VT and not the term end provider which happens to be the company i work for. i went in and looked at the disco logs on the bridge and seen we were issued the disconnect.