Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

[HD] J Jefferson If You're Out There

J Jefferson-
If you're out there - have you been made aware of any dates yet for the Freedom region when that "2nd round" of HD channels will be launched? The ones that the Philly city area have had for a year and a half now? (DIY HD, Cooking Channel HD, Reelz HD, etc.)

Finally got word that Northern DE will lose analogs on 6/5, so expecting that 1st round that they got across the border in PA last Fall with Fox Soccer HD, Gol TV HD to hit around the 3rd week of June.

If there's a date floating around for that second round - it'd be nice to know it's at least scheduled. I'm missing way too many HD's with FIOS right now and this would seal the deal for me moving to Comcast.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Was told they have to check bandwidth and other issues in the Pittsburgh region before adding more HD even though my system is 860 mhz and final analog cuts are scheduled for sometime in June. Makes no sense to me. Also was told maybe 5 or around there new HD channels which stinks in my opinion.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by mikedz4:

Was told they have to check bandwidth and other issues in the Pittsburgh region before adding more HD even though my system is 860 mhz and final analog cuts are scheduled for sometime in June. Makes no sense to me. Also was told maybe 5 or around there new HD channels which stinks in my opinion.

this is why analog reclaimation and SDV would sound good right now mike. TWC is now rolling out a new version of iGuide that is an R29 release instead of A28. Here is the new TWC version 79.41 - R29.0.r-4. The new version features apps such as startover, lookback, and caller id on tv in the navigator style menu boxes so TWC is slowly getting iGuide up to Navigator standards.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

There are way too many customers that use cablecard equipped devices that DO NOT WANT TO USE SDV!!! and it is a slap in their face for this to be suggested.

SDV is just a quick fix to a more serious problem with poor bandwidth management by the provider. There are so many other avenues available that Comcast is pursuing.

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by Mike Wolf:

There are way too many customers that use cablecard equipped devices that DO NOT WANT TO USE SDV!!! and it is a slap in their face for this to be suggested.

SDV is just a quick fix to a more serious problem with poor bandwidth management by the provider. There are so many other avenues available that Comcast is pursuing.

The thing is that SDV is eventually coming as Comcast is going to need to support current STBs that can't handle IP broadcasting. And once the system is filled up with the current HD channels and new narrowcast services. You are already seeing the casualties to not supporting SDV no full Premium Channel suites in HD.

Maybe Comcast will use IP back channel support for SDV when they do launch thanks to them having an agreement for VOD on the Tivo's. The only problem with that is it would only work with Tivo. So it looks like they would have to deploy tuning adapters. Mike please don't take this wrong but I wan't to know why you are so opposed to SDV? Is it the fact that the tuning adapter for the Cisco systems iis too big? Problems with Tivo and SDV which are becoming less of an issue?

At first the Tivo people in North Texas were upset about SDV but when the issues got ironed out there hasn't been many issues since since we are motorola based.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to Mike Wolf

what stinks is that we are limited in the amount of channels comcast can offer and other services as well. Even at 860 mhz I am limited.
I figured at 860 mhz I would be fine for the forseeable future but I guess I was wrong.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

3 edits
reply to motorola870

said by Mike Wolf:

+1; look at what happened with Time Warner & Cablevision.
TWC, after thinking SDV would solve ALL their bandwidth problems, FINALLY came to the realization that analog reclaimation (DTA's) was, & IS the way to go - much more reliable, too.
Cox will probably NOT be far behind on this, if they are NOT already.

Cablevision is going the same route, & is actually REMOVING linear channels from SDV & making them "broadcast" again; due (again) to all the issues (like "channel not available") that plague this technology.

said by motorola870:

The thing is that SDV is eventually coming as Comcast is going to need to support current STBs that can't handle IP broadcasting.

Apples to oranges; sort of, but NOT totally related

And once the system is filled up with the current HD channels and new narrowcast services. You are already seeing the casualties to not supporting SDV no full Premium Channel suites in HD.

While these "casualties" may partially be bandwidth related now, CC WILL be resolving these by finishing up the rest of their analog reclaimation as we speak. You DO realize that the majority of CC systems STILL have their limited basic analog STILL taking up lots of bandwidth! My area has 18 such channels STILL taking up space - getting rid of those alone will reclaim enough bandwidth for at least FIFTY+ new HD channels. And considering that our (non-premium) HD lineup actually blows away DirecTV's - & that after just the expanded basic analog reclaim - it appears to me CC sure doesn't need SDV here!
Our reclaim is being taken care of this June.

If you want proof of this, look at the CC systems in Philly, where ALL of the analog is gone, & they DO have full premium suites available - all without needing SDV.

Mike please don't take this wrong but I wan't to know why you are so opposed to SDV? Is it the fact that the tuning adapter for the Cisco systems is too big? Problems with Tivo and SDV which are becoming less of an issue?

It's NOT just with Cisco systems & it's NOT just with Tivo subs; again, go to all numerous cable & Tivo boards & read all the complaints about "no channels available", Tivo's missing recordings due to the stupid TA loosing contact with the Tivo &/or channel to be recorded.

Sorry, but I TOTALLY agree w/Mike W on this; you can keep SDV & those PITA TA's!!!

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by dishrich:

said by Mike Wolf:

+1; look at what happened with Time Warner & Cablevision.
TWC, after thinking SDV would solve ALL their bandwidth problems, FINALLY came to the realization that analog reclaimation (DTA's) was, & IS the way to go - much more reliable, too.
Cox will probably NOT be far behind on this, if they are NOT already.

Cablevision is going the same route, & is actually REMOVING linear channels from SDV & making them "broadcast" again; due (again) to all the issues (like "channel not available") that plague this technology.

said by motorola870:

The thing is that SDV is eventually coming as Comcast is going to need to support current STBs that can't handle IP broadcasting.

Apples to oranges; sort of, but NOT totally related

And once the system is filled up with the current HD channels and new narrowcast services. You are already seeing the casualties to not supporting SDV no full Premium Channel suites in HD.

While these "casualties" may partially be bandwidth related now, CC WILL be resolving these by finishing up the rest of their analog reclaimation as we speak. You DO realize that the majority of CC systems STILL have their limited basic analog STILL taking up lots of bandwidth! My area has 18 such channels STILL taking up space - getting rid of those alone will reclaim enough bandwidth for at least FIFTY+ new HD channels. And considering that our (non-premium) HD lineup actually blows away DirecTV's - & that after just the expanded basic analog reclaim - it appears to me CC sure doesn't need SDV here!
Our reclaim is being taken care of this June.

If you want proof of this, look at the CC systems in Philly, where ALL of the analog is gone, & they DO have full premium suites available - all without needing SDV.

Mike please don't take this wrong but I wan't to know why you are so opposed to SDV? Is it the fact that the tuning adapter for the Cisco systems is too big? Problems with Tivo and SDV which are becoming less of an issue?

It's NOT just with Cisco systems & it's NOT just with Tivo subs; again, go to all numerous cable & Tivo boards & read all the complaints about "no channels available", Tivo's missing recordings due to the stupid TA loosing contact with the Tivo &/or channel to be recorded.

Sorry, but I TOTALLY agree w/Mike W on this; you can keep SDV & those PITA TA's!!!

no philiadelphia does not have the premium suites in HD they dropped them to add the latest round of HD channels and they did not have them that long.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

I just understand what they are going to do for areas like mine that might not have the bandwidth for alot more channels, in the future?
Somehow even with the analog reclamation in june or july and an 860mhz system it still might not be enough for the new hd channels in the 1000s.
What will happen in the future when comcast wants to offer 200+ hd channels here?

osravens

join:2011-01-26
Cumberland, MD
reply to motorola870

The city of Philadelphia Comcast systems have 33 HD premium movie channels. They did have some more, but they were primarily west coast feeds that were dropped.

The systems outside of the city in the suburbs never had the additional channels. Most of them have a few extra channels, HBO 2 HD, HBO Zone HD and HBO Latino HD are the most common ones, some have HBO Signature, some have a few extra Starz HD channels instead. But none outside of the city have more than 9 HD channels.

Outside of PA, nothing in the Mid-Atlantic has ever had more than 5 HD movie channels. The Pittsburgh area has TMC HD, Central PA has some systems with Starz Edge, Starz Comedy and Starz Kids & Family HD with TMC HD.

The New England areas have not seen any HD additions since World of More, and the rest of the regions have seen drops of a lot of premiums for other HD except for Michigan, which seems to have them all still (21-25 through the state), but is seeing some of the new channels added. BBC America HD and Hub HD seem to be throughout the state, some have received Bloomberg HD, PBS Kids Sprout HD, and a few others (Ann Arbor, for sure).

motorola870

Arlington, TX

said by osravens:

The city of Philadelphia Comcast systems have 33 HD premium movie channels. They did have some more, but they were primarily west coast feeds that were dropped.

The systems outside of the city in the suburbs never had the additional channels. Most of them have a few extra channels, HBO 2 HD, HBO Zone HD and HBO Latino HD are the most common ones, some have HBO Signature, some have a few extra Starz HD channels instead. But none outside of the city have more than 9 HD channels.

Outside of PA, nothing in the Mid-Atlantic has ever had more than 5 HD movie channels. The Pittsburgh area has TMC HD, Central PA has some systems with Starz Edge, Starz Comedy and Starz Kids & Family HD with TMC HD.

The New England areas have not seen any HD additions since World of More, and the rest of the regions have seen drops of a lot of premiums for other HD except for Michigan, which seems to have them all still (21-25 through the state), but is seeing some of the new channels added. BBC America HD and Hub HD seem to be throughout the state, some have received Bloomberg HD, PBS Kids Sprout HD, and a few others (Ann Arbor, for sure).

Does the entire city of Philadelphia have the premium HD channels? I know that part of the city is 860MHz so maybe they are only available in those areas?

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to mikedz4

said by mikedz4:

I just understand what they are going to do for areas like mine that might not have the bandwidth for alot more channels, in the future?
Somehow even with the analog reclamation in june or july and an 860mhz system it still might not be enough for the new hd channels in the 1000s.

Pittsburgh greater region is using a 725mhz delivery package. The region has to carry 4 DMA's worth of locals in analog. There is "room" for at least 108 additional HD channels if the full 860mhz spectrum was used with 0 analog.

said by mikedz4:

What will happen in the future when comcast wants to offer 200+ hd channels here?

On-Demand/Streampix: No need for channels.

Compression: HEVC will be here in 3-5 years.

IP Delivery: SDV all the way to the remote, EVERYTHING becomes On-Demand; no more "channels", just content to tune to. Not Big-Band edge routing SDV, that is complete failure and quick-buck gimmicks. REAL SDV. If your neighbor begins watching ABC before you, you piggy back his stream. Otherwise, every "addressable" device has enough bandwidth to access a "stream".
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

osravens

join:2011-01-26
Cumberland, MD
reply to motorola870

Yes, the city of Philadelphia does. None of the suburbs have the premiums.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to markofmayhem

so what is the holdup if there is room for 108 more hd channels? Especially after the limited basic go all digital by august?