join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Service Electric Cablevision DOCSIS 3.0 thread

Click for full size
A few months ago
Click for full size
Today 5/9/2012
Since the crash it appears our threads on Service Electric Cablevision have been reset or deleted. Hopefully they come back when data is restored.

I am starting a new thread about the DOCSIS 3.0 internet service. I'm attaching 2 pictures of modem levels. One was from a few months ago and another one from today. Look at how drastic the levels have changed.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE

Wow - looks like you need a sweep done post-haste!
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Yeah when I get home I'm going to tighten all connections and maybe change splitters around.

I do have a 3 way in the garage but there's an outlet I don't need connected so I'm going to switch it to a 2 way.

Though even with the better levels earlier this year nothings changed.

Ground block > 3 way > -5.5 leg to utility room > 2 way > eMTA and Modem

So 9 db loss in splitters, plus cable / connectors

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to cypherstream

Click for full size
wihtout emta and commscope 1ghz 2 way
K I switched out the 3 way in the garage for a 2 way. Not a single change in signal. Even rebooted the modem.

Then in the utility room I went straight to the Moto SB6120, bypassing the 2 way and the arris eMTA. Picture is attached.

Anyway I can't not have an eMTA hooked up, so I put that back together. I'll just have to keep an eye on it I guess.

I checked the TV input (haven't in a long time since I have DirecTV). I did notice that analog channel 4 gets some faint lines in it when my upload is going full blast (1mbps). None of the other channels seem to do it. My TV has a signal meter that works on digital channels. -Ch 127-3402 WFMZ HD is 6 bars.
Ch 117-1701 WCAU HD is 6 bars.
Ch 104-2301 KYW HD is 9 bars.

Everything below 100 is 10 bars.

Oh by the way did you see how crappy Music Choice looks now? ALL of them look like garbage (Ch 29-2701 through Ch 29-2745).

Anyway the speed is still pretty close to what its provisioned at (12/1)

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

I'd still give them a call. I know on the Sunbury system if you tell them your levels are off they'll be out the same day.

With warmer weather coming, it'd be best to take care of that now. Between the lower SNR and the power levels, something definitely is wrong in your area (not like you don't already know that..LOL)
--

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

1 edit

Ok. I just don't want to pay for a service call.

MacSto

join:2011-07-26
reply to cypherstream

How are these stats?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

1 edit

Click for full size
Good!

After a new drop (RG6Q temporary), my levels improved. Curious to see when they come back and do a bury and put in RG11 if its going to make any difference.

Wish I had a pic of the return telemetry. It was all over the place before. New cable and its flat and clean.

What area are you in? Diff headend / cmts because your ranging service id is different along with the frequencies. I do have the iGlass report for my modem showing the internal ip's and signal level history including upstream snr.

sectvfreak

join:2010-11-07
Kintnersville, PA
reply to cypherstream

must be nice on the berks system meanwhile for us folks over in lehigh valley system just fall further and further behind still on docsis 2.0 15 mb max speed limited VOD limited HD channels. just basically limited everything. oh best part is i dont have an option to go to rcn very mom and pop and tired of not having options... are they that short on cash and competition from RCN and limited areas of FIOS in Allentown.. at least 8 years behind in the cable market now..

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to cypherstream

Click for full size
says offline but its wrong!
I had a new RG11 line buried and terminated today. New levels posted. Weird thing is modem says its offline. On the contrary levels are good and I'm surfing the web at my provisioned speeds.

MacSto

join:2011-07-26
reply to cypherstream

Upgraded to the 35/3 package on the Sparta system.

I know I read on here that a year ago or so they sent out a newsletter advertising 50 and 100mb packages. I asked about them when I called, and they had no clue what I was talking about. I guess I'll just have to settle with this for now

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

If I recall, the system in Sparta and Service Electric Cablevision are 2 different companies...
--

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!

All kidding aside... yes they are separately run.

SECV in Birdsboro is expanding onto their headend again. Bunch of new cinderblock walls being put up at the rear left of the building. They've been expanding over the years. New front facade, cool LED animated sign, 2nd floor addition, and now this new back / side addition.

Must need the room for some new equipment!

luckydriver

join:2006-12-29
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to cypherstream

i just accidentally ran into this thread. if windstream cant fix my dsl issues with the rain, i have no choice but to go to SECV with the 12mb internet only plan for 47 bucks

i dont care about speed per se, i've lived with 1.5 or less my entire life. reliablity in storms etc is key though

so is cable more reliable in the storms? from just reading in this thread it appears living in berks at least gives me hope.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Rock solid. Never deviates from the speed, especially with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, it has more channels to transmit on so its more load balanced.

During severe weather it works fine. How fast is Windstream DSL?

luckydriver

join:2006-12-29
Reading, PA

im not allowed to get over 1.5 they say because i'm in a resell area

just worry about prologs caps, i d/l tons of tv shows