All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
stangn991
join:2006-03-20
Markham, ON

stangn991

[Express] Cable jack works in living room only.

Hi all,
I got my high speed internet installed by a Rogers technician about a month ago. Everything is great, except now I want to move the modem/router from the living room to the bedroom.

It seems like the coax plug in the bedroom is not active. In fact, the one in the den is dead too.

I live in a newly built condo, and when Rogers tech came to install, he had to go on another floor to activate a wire.

So my question: how come only the living room coax jack in active? Do I have to pay more for other jacks to be active? I don't have cable TV...Internet ONLY.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

if rogers enabled the other jacks, it would decrease the signal to the jack your modem is currently connected to. think of it like water pressure, if water is running down one hose, its pressure is high, when u run the same water into 3 hoses, the pressure gets lower, rogers disconnects unnecessary drops. u only need one outlet with your modem so it makes no sense to have them all active
stangn991
join:2006-03-20
Markham, ON

stangn991

I just wish they asked me where I wanted installed. I was under the impression I could move it anywhere. Oh well. I guess I'll just drill a hole in the wall or something.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

just go to your demarc, and move it yourself. the cable terminates in your appartment anyways

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to stangn991

MVM

to stangn991
said by stangn991:

except now I want to move the modem/router from the living room to the bedroom.

It seems like the coax plug in the bedroom is not active. In fact, the one in the den is dead too.

I live in a newly built condo, and when Rogers tech came to install, he had to go on another floor to activate a wire.

So my question: how come only the living room coax jack in active? Do I have to pay more for other jacks to be active? I don't have cable TV...Internet ONLY.

Since you live in a condo see if you can find where the Rogers line comes into you're space .... There might be a splitter there that the Rogers tech may have left in place just in case you go with their TV offerrings. Since you're not doing TV with Rogers you're only entitled to one live connection for your highspeed internet but if the splitter is still in place just connect all the ones that have been dropped and see if does what you want ... If not call Rogers and they will move to the cable to where you want it to be at cost to you. When Rogers does it for you they make sure that you're signal levels are correct ... If you use a splitter your signal levels may be off and that will require more work.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

if only one jack is working, it would not be a splitter, it would be a coupler. splitters are lossy, couplers are less lossy. it would make no sense for them to put a splitter and only connect one leg. the other signal is being wasted

CFoo
join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON

CFoo to stangn991

to stangn991
As Paolo said it may be possible to do the connecting yourself but the room may be locked and under the control of building management. Since you mentioned the tech had to go to another floor, there must be a dedicated space or closet for the wiring.

On occassions, I have seen these spaces unlocked or not even secured.
VHS
join:2008-11-17

VHS to stangn991

to stangn991
I got my rogers internet installed 2 months ago. The closet in my suite (carries Telus Fibre Optic and Rogers cable wires) has a main line coming in from Rogers. From there, 2 other lines extend to my living room and bedroom. I only got cable internet but I am using a new Rogers line that connects to my den and the tech installed a 3-way splitter connecting the 3 lines. I asked why he did that as it would cause a signal loss and he said my signal was too strong so I needed a splitter. Go figure. Anyways, I am not sure if the OP has a closet like mine but it is easily accessibly and can be opened by a screw driver.