Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

[Vista] Slow Opearting System-Slow Performance

Good Afternoon All

Mom's PC, HP S3323W, Windows Vista Sp2, Norton Antivirus 2012, Readyboost active

For Some reason it's really really slow, Windows Live Messenger won't sign in, It's AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.50ghz, 1gb of ram, Onboard video--retail system

No clean install or factory refresh performed on it

Any advice is appreciated

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
Well first of all it's an old machine with 1GB of ram, however that might not be the entire problem, but lack of memory might be a big part of the problem when it has to use the hdd for physical memory. If it's lack of memory there's things you can do like disable Aero if it's enabled at all, and use Vista basic, otherwise add more if you really want to keep using the machine.

If a program won't connect to the internet that can be many different things, can it connect to the internet, and browse it at all?

We have no idea what else is running on this system. Does she have tons of toolbars on their browser, or dozens of things running on startup which are not services?

I'll suggest you start by running disk cleanup, first for her profile, and then for the entire system where you have to elevate it. Clear the the temps, and possibly anything really large, as in GBs, with the exception of the hibernation file if you actually want to use hibernate. If this has never been done before it might help otherwise it won't make a difference.

You really didn't provide much information go on here, but did it slow down after adding certain software, like Norton for example? Computers get faster, software uses more resources, etc.. Maybe disabling the resident av would help? Disable crap from running that you might know that doesn't need to be running all the time like application launchers in the system tray.
--
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth -Kahlil G.
I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires -Susan B Anthony

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit
Yes already disabled what i can, might be more that i will look into, Will disable Aero if it's enabled on hers, plan on adding more memory for that PC when can afford it.

also running on the system is the following programs

IE 9
Windows Live Messenger-Latest
Yahoo Messneger 11.5
Norton Antivirus 2012
Norton Safe Web Lite
Kodak Easy Share software for Digital camera
Itunes
Netgear Connection manager, installed with drivers for her wireless adapter

Not sure if was slow before adding Norton or not, as i don't really use her PC much, i'm normally on my own system, but lately she's been complaining of PC running slowly, All Windows updates are applied, and plugins for all the programs

Previious Antivirus before switching to Norton Av 2012, was Microsoft Security Essentials, she was like i don't trust Microsoft Security Essentials for Online banking and shopping, so she went and bought Norton Antivirus 2012, which point i removed MSE for her, and make sure completely cleaned out, then installed Norton onto that PC

**My Current System Older than hers, and much faster, then again my current system i have 4gbs of DDR Ram, AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 939) 2.20ghz, and GT430 video card, Soon to be replaced with an up to date AMD APU System, A8-3820, or AMD FX 4100 Quad Core System, soon as the money is available to do that)

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13

1 edit
Well other than reinstalling that application, and making sure that it's not blocked in the windows firewall, which during it's install should have allowed itself out already, assuming they can browse the web you might need to look into her account itself. Confirming she can login to it from a browser.

I had to look it up, and the processor wasn't much better than a P4 which generally have been retired, and can't handle too much these days. I'd have to confirm it as I don't remember, but it would seem it still uses the original old ddr memory.

Replying to your edit, the amd processors have sucked for a while now, core for core intel beats amd. Go with at least a intel i5, the 2500k overclocks very easily with a basic aftermarket air cooler, or the 3550 since the 3570k doesn't overclock well. The i5 isn't much more than the fastest amd processor, and will last you longer since most software will not take advantage of more than a couple cores.
--
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth -Kahlil G.
I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires -Susan B Anthony

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
reply to computerman2
While the system may be older, an AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.50 ghz processor is nothing to sneeze at. I built 4 systems with either that exact processor, or one very close to it, and they all run fine with a lot of things running.

However, the difference in my case, and it sounds like with your system (which has almost the same processor), is the RAM. I put Windows 7 64 bit on each one, and installed 8 GB of ram. My mom is running a similar setup, but she is running Windows 7 32 bit, with 4 GB of ram (well, 3.25, as we all know 32 bit OS's won't see the full 4 GB), and does not have any problems at all.

I would suggest looking to see how much ram you could add, and go with that. While the processor can run a 64 bit OS, you did not say if Vista was the 32 bit or 64 bit version. Even if it is 32 bit, if you could add 1 or 2 GB more of ram, I think that would help solve the problem.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: bplencnerCancer@wi.rr.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit
Her Vista is a 32bit operating system, and will definitely get ahold of 1 or 2gb more ram for it soon as possible

Overall fixing her PC up shouldn't be too expensive at all, and should run well for a while

(if i can afford an Intel I5 For my PC, i guess will just have to see on that, budget is around 500 hundred dollars, don't think getting custom built this time, but i might, just not sure totally yet)

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to computerman2
Since I just reinstalled/restored 2 systems that are Vista and 1 GB, the last few weeks, I figure I can put in my 2 cents too.

Vista systems with 1 GB can run just fine. Just can't have lots of "junk" installed that stays in memory all the time.

Don't know what she might have on the system, but even cleaning a system off to the nubs, will not make it run like it will after a reinstall. So, if you can get her stuff saved, reinstall after a format. Everyone might be surprised.
--
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings,
we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
We are flexible like that.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to computerman2
To get Windows Vista to perform effectively Your mothers computer needs to have at least 3 Gigs of RAM for 32 bit version of the OS or 4 GB of RAM if its the 64Bit version of the OS --- it has 1 GB now so if you do upgrade make sure that the RAM matches and is GOOD quality otherwise you'll introduce other issues. RAM memory is the prime culprit in poor performance issue.

Norton AntiVirus is a RESOURCE HOG --- I would suggest switching to ESET NOD 32.

Once you have the RAM Memory and Norton sorted out your Performance should be vastly improved.

I also would suggest running a Cleaner application like CCleaner -- if you get this make sure to review all the configuration options to catch everything that it possible can and then CLEAN.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
You must be talking about the Norton of old, because Norton of today is VERY light on the resource usage. It has been heralded even on this very site by people who used to hate Norton as being the lightest of AVs available today.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | Galaxy Nexus LiquidSmooth by TeamLiquid

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to computerman2
Aside of adding 1gb ram...and there is no need for more than that, this is a system that should run reasonably smooth...not a speed-burner, but certainly adequate.

Best guess is that there is either some process that is running and not letting go of resources, or perhaps some kind of malware.

If a comprehensive scan for malware and viruses comes back clean, and you can't identify an offending program or rogue process, then the best answer may well be to wipe the system clean and do a complete re-install.
--
Deeds, not words

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest
eset online scan--clean
malwarebytes scan--clean
Norton Av scan--clean

gonna just start backing up data, and preparing for a clean install, after i make sure have all her HP Drivers, and drivers for 3rd party software as well

of course machine didn't come with a Vista disc, and just a home made Restore DVD, so hopefully all goes well with that lol

Will check over task manager one more time, and also reduce startup items more before the complete rienstall just to be sure

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
said by computerman2:

eset online scan--clean
malwarebytes scan--clean
Norton Av scan--clean

gonna just start backing up data, and preparing for a clean install, after i make sure have all her HP Drivers, and drivers for 3rd party software as well

of course machine didn't come with a Vista disc, and just a home made Restore DVD, so hopefully all goes well with that lol

Will check over task manager one more time, and also reduce startup items more before the complete rienstall just to be sure

Is your PSU still giving out good juice? Bios setup should have a monitor to tell you the +12, +5, +3, -12 voltage.

Have you cleaned every bit of dust from it recently? It is getting old and a good cleaning may be sorely needed. Take the fans off/out and clean the blades. Take fans off of heatsinks and clean them. Get behind the motherboard. Get all the lint out of the PSU.

Search web and remove Norton's Web Lite program (NOT the AV, just the web lite). Does it run faster? Could you live without this if it does? It seems like the only program in your list that may cause "slowdown" and instant messaging login issues.

--all are guesses
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

computerman2
Premium
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit
Click for full size
Click for full size
Will do a dust clean out on that PC again, will remove Norton safe web lite from it..and see how it performs, just did a dust clean out on that machine i say about a month ago, but might need it again

PSU seems to be giving out enough juice and working fine it appears, but will check the bios anyways on that

Thank you all for the replies, once can get access to Mom's PC again, will work on another dust clean out, removing safe web lite, chkdsk perhaps, and see if defrag been ran or not, i believe when i set that one up, i set it for monthly schedule

Mom's PC list of Installed programs screen shot and Service, i disabled what i knew i could, some of the stuff don't know what it goes to lol at all, as i don't run any of that software