Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to danawhitaker

Premium Member

to danawhitaker

Re: Mediacom To Start Charging For Phone Modem

We are currently reviewing the potential for customers to purchase modems from other retailers or use their own that they already have for phone service. As soon as we have more information on this I will let everyone know.

tsduke
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

tsduke

Premium Member

said by MediacomChad:

We are currently reviewing the potential for customers to purchase modems from other retailers or use their own that they already have for phone service. As soon as we have more information on this I will let everyone know.

Why doesn't Mediacom do the right thing and have a plan for customer owned devices before starting the new charge?
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

Rocco wants the cash.

tsduke
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

tsduke

Premium Member

He won't net much cash if several customers drop the phone.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

tsduke, realistically, this has actually made me think about not just dropping phone, but also TV service. I realized how little cable I actually watch as I started thinking about other ways to save on my bill tonight, and have been talking with other people in our household about it. Until another internet provider can offer speeds beyond 1.5 in this area (which is as high as CenturyLink goes currently) I'll be stuck with that, but dropping TV and moving phone might be what we end up doing. Between the digital adapters that will start costing $3/month next year, the voicemail charge (which was something originally free), a charge just to have a cable box, and now the modem double dip...ugh. And satellite isn't any better in regards to TV when you start taking into account multiple TVs in a household. I'm honestly thinking I could learn to live with just OTA networks.

MediacomChad, know that I don't hold you responsible for any of this. I still appreciate all the help you've given people here, myself included, over the past few years, and I know you can only do so much. But please, if you're in a position to pass on these concerns to people above you, do so. As a customer, I hate being in this position. I'm generally happy with the quality of my service. The picture's good, the phone's hardly ever down, and my internet connection is stable and fast. But I also hate the feeling that I'm being gouged or ripped off. You're basically raising the price of phone service by $5 across the board, but tacking it on as an equipment fee instead. It feels underhanded, shady, and, I don't know if it will do any good, but I will be passing my concerns on to local politicians and a few people I know in the media as well. I'm sure there are plenty of people who won't even look twice at their bills, but our household is on a very fixed income right now, and even $5 makes me stop and think.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

Yes, there are many options for cord cutters now if they are not huge content consumers of the latest and greatest. Netflix is cheap and has a lot of streaming content, although the movie selections are pretty limited. There is free Hulu with commercials and paid Hulu. A mix of OTA, Netflix, Hulu, and other internet accessible content will cost a fraction of Mediacom TV service.

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

lotusracer to danawhitaker

Premium Member

to danawhitaker
said by danawhitaker:

You're basically raising the price of phone service by $5 across the board, but tacking it on as an equipment fee instead. It feels underhanded, shady

yep, you may remember that's the point we all made when they decided to charge for internet modems. I always figured this phone modem thing was going to come next.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to danawhitaker

Premium Member

to danawhitaker
A lot of people don't notice these 'sneaky' price increases and that's why companies do it. Sales people get to advertise lower price and company can charge more at the same time.

lhollow
join:2010-12-02
IL

lhollow to danawhitaker

to danawhitaker
said by danawhitaker:

I'm honestly thinking I could learn to live with just OTA networks.

and even $5 makes me stop and think.

If I had just OTA, I don't think I'd have much need for a TV (beyond the kids' video games). One time I did go through and list the cable / satellite channels we watch and found about 24 that we and visiting family watch. Cutting out the less frequent channels and I can get down to 10. I don't count OTA channels in that list since I'd consider using a small antenna to save a few $ on my bill.

$5 will make a lot of people complain, but how many will actually do something about it?

The Home Phone Connect Lazy Senior mentioned sounds interesting. I ordered one about a week ago. I've been doing the same thing with a cell phone and a bluetooth gateway for about three years.
lhollow

lhollow to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Please hurry. I feel a "Buy it Now" is in my future. Which Arris models does Mediacom currently have in service? Anything you currently use SHOULD be supported.
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to tsduke

to tsduke
said by tsduke:

He won't net much cash if several customers drop the phone.

Fewer customers, percentage wise, need to drop phone service than the percentage price increase the $5 charge represents. If so, then it is a net revenue gain for Mediacom.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to lhollow

Premium Member

to lhollow
We use the Arris 402G, 502G, 601A and 602G phone modems

lhollow
join:2010-12-02
IL

lhollow

No DOCSIS 3 models? Is the Cisco DPC3208 that was mentioned earlier used? Any other DOCSIS 3 telephony modems?

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Cisco 3XXX series are all DOCSIS 3 modems/gateways

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to lhollow

Premium Member

to lhollow
Currently we do not have any Arris D3 modems out for regular use.