Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to MichelR

Premium Member

to MichelR

Re: Hard Drive Deals

said by MichelR:

I figured that was it, based on the online tool. Nice way to avoid providing free warranty service.

As pointed out, a receipt with the date of purchase will help but you may be close to that date if the online tool says it is out. I do not think I have bought a drive in the past decade that was more than a month old.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Shipping it back to them probably makes it less than worth it anyway.

The new WD drive I got last week has a Nov. 2013 date.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

750gb Samsung EVO at TD for $430, till midnight tonight.

»www.tigerdirect.ca/appli ··· tId=5300

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
Samsung 1TB EVO for $499 (USD):

»www.bhphotovideo.com/c/p ··· 2_5.html

$430 for the 750 is an OK price, but it's not spectacular. It's more expensive per-gig than the B&H price, even after currency exchange.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

It's not the currency conversion I have a problem with, it';s the cost of getting it across the border. They won't send a 500 drive by USPS (and by extension CP), which leaves the couriers, who will in turn hose you bad.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
They charge about $10 for shipping to Montreal, while TigerDirect charges about $9 for shipping to Montreal. Not much of a difference...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

10 bucks, + the courier brokerage fee + the HST frontage fee + the we fronted any duties fee.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
B&H fees on $499 item:

Shipping: $10.40
GST: $24.95
Brokerage: $1.56
Disbursement: $0.75
Security & Handling: $2.65
Total of shipping and taxes/fees: $40.31

TigerDirect Canada fees on $430 item:

Shipping: $8.48
GST + QST: $65.65
Total of shipping and taxes/fees: $74.13

B&H tacks on less extra costs to your order than Tiger Direct does. Even if you ignore tax, all of B&H's cross-border costs combined amount to less than 1%. But since B&H guarantees no extra fees on pickup, the reality is that Tiger Direct's additional costs are MUCH higher.

anon_1
@teksavvy.com

anon_1 to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
Canada computers has the 960GB Crucial M500 for $509 - not that great a deal because in the past it was quite a bit cheaper, but it's better than the full price of $599.

I have one of these in my gaming computer, and I'm very happy with it.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
The price is pretty good, but the M500 isn't as fast as the 840 EVO,
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

B&H tacks on less extra costs to your order than Tiger Direct does. Even if you ignore tax, all of B&H's cross-border costs combined amount to less than 1%. But since B&H guarantees no extra fees on pickup, the reality is that Tiger Direct's additional costs are MUCH higher.

Only for a resident of Quebec. A resident of Ontario would get hit for the full HST on the B&H order, negating any savings.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by IamGimli:

said by Guspaz:

Only for a resident of Quebec. A resident of Ontario would get hit for the full HST on the B&H order, negating any savings.

He has GST and QST. HST for ON would be $64.87 or $71.84 at current exchange

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
B&H total fees in Ontario for $499 USD order:

Shipping: $10.40
HST: $64.87
Brokerage: $1.56
Disbursement: $1.95
Security & Handling: $1.05
Total: $79.83 USD

TigerDirect.ca fees in Ontario for $430 CAD order:

Shipping: $8.35
HST: $72.59
Total: $80.94 CAD

B&H's fees are not that different to TigerDirect's. My basic point remains, B&H is not much more expensive than TigerDirect because of cross-border fees.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

For anyone concerned, I have ordered many things from B&H without problem. No surprises. They even have iOS and Android apps.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

For anyone concerned, I have ordered many things from B&H without problem. No surprises. They even have iOS and Android apps.

You're purchased Camera products not hard drives right?

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

said by donoreo:

You're purchased Camera products not hard drives right?

Yes, but I am talking about the service over all. They are good and the price you see on checkout is the price.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
I bought seven Hitachi 4TB 5400RPM hard drives from B&H for my file server, because they had them on sale for $150. I and the convention have bought many things from B&H before, both camera related and non camera related.

They're a rather large and well respected retailer, and have been in operation for 41 years. To quote Wikipedia, they're the largest non-chain photo and video equipment store in the US. The CEO of Google once famously said during a 2007 Google financial results conference call that it's his favourite camera store.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

750gb Samsung EVO at TD for $400
Damn they're coming down in price. If didn't have to buy a new tire it would be up my alley.

»www.tigerdirect.ca/appli ··· tId=5300

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Still pricey but getting there.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Pricey when it comes to mechanical drives, yes,they're really coming down in price. What concerns me of course is that as the price comes down we sacrifice quality

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

I just meant on a price/gb. Of course the performance is so much higher than it is not a fair comparison to just look at price/gb.

There may be some quality issues as the price comes down but a lot of the price will still be basic economics of supply and demand.

mk_416
@start.ca

mk_416 to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
B&H uses Purolator which cost me $19 in shipping, brokerage & HST on a somewhat large $90 item. Not hosing anyone with those amounts when you consider that HST made up just under $12 of those $19.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Seagate 600 Series 480GB SSD - $239 at Tiger Direct....

»www.tigerdirect.ca/appli ··· com&lk=7

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
Performance is generally on-par with Samsung's 840 EVO (which is a bit faster), which sells for $251.

Three caveats, however:

1) The Seagate 600 series seems to have been discontinued (it's old, and NewEgg lists it as discontinued)

2) Seagate is a newcomer to the SSD field and does not yet have a proven track record. They also don't make the controller or flash in the drive.

3) The Seagate 600 has somewhat worse reviews than the Samsung 840 EVO (65% 5-eggs versus 80% 5-eggs)

Despite that, they're generally considered decent and well performing drives. I wouldn't buy it over the similarly priced Samsung, but I don't think you'd be disappointed buying it.
Expand your moderator at work

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: Hard Drive Deals

I got a Seagate 600 240GB on a Boxing Day special at Canada Computers for $139 which is close to that magical 50 cents a GB price I want to see the industry get to. That special is bang on vue!
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to Guspaz

to Guspaz
The Seagate is 480GB. What is the capacity of the Samsung?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by vue666:

The Seagate is 480GB. What is the capacity of the Samsung?

500GB.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

For the same price in the area of $239?

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues