Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Mashiki

Premium Member

to Mashiki

Re: Hard Drive Deals

1TB is way to small these days, but damn they've gotten cheap.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki

Well there was an offer up a few days ago for 4TB@159 think it was tigerdirect, but the sale has expired.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to vue666

MVM

to vue666
You replied to a post with the price in it, why are you asking me?
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

said by Guspaz:

You replied to a post with the price in it, why are you asking me?

Because I checked Newegg and there is no listing for a Samsung 840 500 gb for the price you claim...

$399 at Newegg
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 20147249

Tiger Direct has this for $299
»www.tigerdirect.ca/appli ··· tId=5300

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
Because NewEgg and TigerDirect are the only stores in the world, right? Nobody else could possibly have a lower price?

»www.bhphotovideo.com/c/p ··· 2_5.html
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

And it is a store I am not familiar with. Next time should I post saying an item is available for a certain price and not include a link?

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

1TB is way to small these days, but damn they've gotten cheap.

Picked up a Touro 1TB mobile, for my WD Live, for $50 at Staples, last week.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
We just had a big debate on the last page of this thread about B&H shipping costs... they've been mentioned many times in this thread, including two posts before your first one...
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
BHP is an American company and ships from the states. Be prepared to get hosed on taxes and brokerage when it crossed the border.

American posted prices will generally be cheaper than Canadian ones. My experience with BHP was buying a set of wireless sennheiser headphones. They were over $150 cheaper than in Canada. I think they only shipped via UPS, so I did the math on how much UPS charged for brokerage and what the tax would be. The brokerage was expensive but I still came out quite a bit.

Comparing the American retail price to a Canadian retail price is a bit misleading.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 edit

donoreo

Premium Member

said by zod5000:

BHP is an American company and ships from the states. Be prepared to get hosed on taxes and brokerage when it crossed the border.

Look up the thread before you type. B&H shows up front all costs, including brokerage. It is posted above with specific examples. They still come in cheaper in many cases.

From the example above:

HST:$32.76
Brokerage:$1.56
Disbursement:$0.98
Security & Handling:$1.05
Total:$36.35

SubTotal: $251.99
Customs Clearance : $36.35 - see above, mostly tax
Shipping: $9.60 - purlator
Order Total: USD $297.94
(CAD) $327.88 - based on current exchange

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
In fact, the last time I did a comparison, there were less additional fees on a B&H order than there were on the same item shipped from TigerDirect Canada...

The only thing is the currency exchange.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Over on another part of this forum... User "Network Guy" posted that Newegg.COM (not .CA) has Seagate 4TB internal drives on sale for $140.00 including shipping if you use the coupon code in his post....

»[HOT Deal] Seagate 4 TB internal HDD $140 shipped

Not sure if the coupon can be used at Newegg.CA...
vue666

to elwoodblues
Ooops duplicate post...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
Nope, just tired it, the code doesn't work.
$200 (Newegg.ca) is over priced, I bought my last one for 170.
vue666 (banned)

to elwoodblues
Seagate external 3TB for $109

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· nctionCA

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

No idea if it's the same one, but I'm having problems with an external Seagate 3TB that I bought not long ago. I'm not even sure what the problems are, but my backups to it keep failing and I've switched to a different drive until I figure it out.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
Seagate has sky-high failure rates on many of their drives, so that's not surprising. Buying a 3TB Seagate drive would be a mistake at any price.

alcohowl
@shawcable.net

alcohowl

Anon

`reply to elwoodblues

Seagate has sky-high failure rates on many of their drives, so that's not surprising. Buying a 3TB Seagate drive would be a mistake at any price.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.3 released!`

Disagree. Granted, you shouldnt have to flash hard drive firmware. IF you flashed 7200.11's firmware, theyre tanks(except for the 1.5 TBs). Too bad they nixed their warranty though. 7200.12 were rock steady too.
vue666 (banned)

to elwoodblues
I've had more failures with Seagates than other manufacturers... and articles on the web seem to indicate similar experiences....

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki

Sounds about right. Back when I was in the industry Seagate had a 40% failure rate for us. WD about half of that.

Anyway, for anyone who has a US drop box and wants a cheap SSD 240GB Kingson SSDNow V300 Series 240GB for $109 w/Free Shipping

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

I've had more failures with Seagates than other manufacturers... and articles on the web seem to indicate similar experiences....

I have more failures with Seagate SAS than WD SATA but I've witnessed plenty of failures with WD drives and worse, both companies send you refurbished drives that break within a few months.

JMarkham
@start.ca

JMarkham

Anon

I had a 2tb Seagate SATA and a 2tb WD SATA fail recently. Both replacement drives were brand new. Nice surprise.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

1 recommendation

Thane_Bitter to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
Recall the days of old when you sent in a bad drive and they sent you a shiny new one, sometimes with double the capacity of the original - I miss those days.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
$290 for a 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD on the Newegg.ca Shell Shockers today:
»www.newegg.ca/Special/Sh ··· 162014_1

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Damn that's come down in price, I have just too many summer projects around the house to spend that quid now.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues

Premium Member

San disk just launched a 4tb SSD drive.Thety're planning on releasing a 6tb soon and an 8tb by the end of the year.

HOLY MOLEY , no idea what the price is, but it's gotta push the smaller capacity SSD drives firmly into the mechanical price range.

»www.theinquirer.net/inqu ··· rise-ssd

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 1xM#t=58

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Mmmmm, want, but I imagine the price comes with a good case of sticker shock. Think the manufactures of mechanical hard drives will conspire to keep their prices high? I think they will.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
I don't see why this thing would have any impact on SSD pricing at all. NAND is a commodity market, and SSD prices are largely driven by NAND pricing.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
You send in a kidney, they send you the SSD.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Why? One of the biggest issues with SSD is the capacity, Sandisk has just broken that. I've already commented upthread about how the price is coming down on the lower capacity (512gb and less) drives.

You can pick up a 1tb mechanical drive for 50 bucks these days, because a 4tb is in the $170 range. Mechancial drives are a commodity also.

So you would consequently expect that as SSD capacities increase, the lower ones would drop in price (cost per gb/tb)