Search similar:

uniqs
AndrewW
join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON

AndrewW to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues

Re: Hard Drive Deals

Dell is having a one day special on the 2TB Seagate HD for $89.99 , see here »accessories.dell.com/sna ··· A5895138 . I'm thinking of grabbing it but I'm apprehensive about Seagate drive quality and longevity.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by AndrewW:

Dell is having a one day special on the 2TB Seagate HD for $89.99 , see here »accessories.dell.com/sna ··· A5895138 . I'm thinking of grabbing it but I'm apprehensive about Seagate drive quality and longevity.

I already posted in the Dell Deals thread, it's no deal, it's the going rate.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

$89.99 is the not-on-sale "going rate" for a 1TB drive, not a 2TB. NCIX has 2TB drives on sale right now for $100-$110, so the Dell price is still a deal, just not a spectacular one.
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
If it's no deal then I guess I can still wait a bit longer. I was hoping that the larger capacity drives like the 4 TB would go on sale but their pricing is still at quite a bit of a premium on a per byte basis to the lower capacity drives. I guess the inventory levels still haven't been rebuilt post floods and there are less competing manufacturers.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
$95

$90

$100

SO STFU unless you know what you're talking about. I checked prices before posting that. 90 bucks is the "going rate".
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to AndrewW

Premium Member

to AndrewW
Seagate didn't suffer from the flooding at all, they just jacked up prices to make more money.

Inventory levels are fine, the fact that there are only 2 major players left in the market shows you how well "The Free Market" works.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to AndrewW

Premium Member

to AndrewW
And friend of mine bought two of the Seagate 4 TB externals when they were on sale late last year, and one of them has already self-destructed via the famous Click of Death. It is a continuation of my experience that the only drives I know about first-hand that have catastrophically failed have always been Seagates. I realize that everyone's experience is different and there's no rational basis for distrust of an entire brand, but I just hate the damn things.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
... on sale. Regular price $106.92.... on sale. Regular price $109.98.... on sale. Regular price $124.99.
said by elwoodblues:

SO STFU unless you know what you're talking about. I checked prices before posting that. 90 bucks is the "going rate".

said by Gone:
$89.99 is the not-on-sale "going rate" for a 1TB drive, not a 2TB.
Take your own advice, elwood.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Regular prices mean SFA, and you know it.
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Inventory levels are fine, the fact that there are only 2 major players left in the market shows you how well "The Free Market" works.

The Chinese regulator stipulated that Hitachi was to be operated independently for two years but the market evidence shows otherwise. Looks like your right on the inventory levels. I now see that Seagate just got downgraded by Needham two notches because of rising inventory levels.
AndrewW

AndrewW to Wolfie00

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

And friend of mine bought two of the Seagate 4 TB externals when they were on sale late last year, and one of them has already self-destructed via the famous Click of Death. It is a continuation of my experience that the only drives I know about first-hand that have catastrophically failed have always been Seagates. I realize that everyone's experience is different and there's no rational basis for distrust of an entire brand, but I just hate the damn things.

I personally have always bought Hitachi and never had an issue staying away from Seagate for the reason you mentioned.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

There are plenty of not-on-sale 1TB and 2TB drives at NCIX and Canada Computers right now, so really elwood, what's your point?

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

There are plenty of not-on-sale 1TB and 2TB drives at NCIX and Canada Computers right now, so really elwood, what's your point?

Really? You guys are going to argue over something so minor and unimportant?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by donoreo:

One could argue that you're no better for throwing yourself into the ring, but I won't

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by donoreo:

One could argue that you're no better for throwing yourself into the ring, but I won't

I am playing the parent role in this. You two go sit in different corners now for a while

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

Obviously comprehension is not your foremost skill.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Obviously comprehension is not your foremost skill.

... so says the guy who didn't twice read (and the second part even bolded) the point I was making.

Oh, and the hard drive from Dell "on sale" is still cheaper than all the other three places you posted "on sale" too. To which I said - still a deal, but not a super fantastic dead. That's the other point you didn't read.

So angry today, eh elwood? If you weren't so angry, maybe your own reading comprehension would improve.
Expand your moderator at work

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

1 recommendation

Kalford to donoreo

MVM

to donoreo

Re: Hard Drive Deals

said by donoreo:

you must be new here. Welcome to Canchat.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Hey got my Memory Express Flyer and its showing the 240Gig Intel SSD drive 30 series (not 500) with free shipping for $159.

This seems like a decent sale or is it becoming the norm??
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

That's what NCIX had the Intel on for last week. I love mine...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Bestbuy has a 3TB external Hitachi Drive for $139. It's only USB 2.0 though(which is odd).

»www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/pro ··· L-120925

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Bestbuy has a 3TB external Hitachi Drive for $139. It's only USB 2.0 though(which is odd).

»www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/pro ··· L-120925

Dell deals today has a better deal, Seagate 3TB USB 3.0 for $125 with free shipping.

»accessories.dell.com/sna ··· A6221931

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Dell deals today has a better deal, Seagate 3TB USB 3.0 for $125 with free shipping.

If it's anything like the GoFlex, stay away! It's okay if I'm using it, but if I leave it on for any length of time I have to unplug / power back on to use it.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by A Lurker:

If it's anything like the GoFlex, stay away! It's okay if I'm using it, but if I leave it on for any length of time I have to unplug / power back on to use it.

I have a 2TB USB 3.0 GoFlex hooked up to the shop server as a backup drive and have had zero issues with it. Was one of those $89.99 specials at Staples a while back.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to A Lurker

Premium Member

to A Lurker
I don't have that issue with GoFlex, either. They do have a peculiar design where there is no on/off switch and they only power up when connected to an active USB port, and they go to sleep after a period of idle time, but I find that they wake up when the processor tries to access them. I have both the old (vertical) and new horizontal models. Still prefer the Lacie units (which often but not always have WD drives) when I can get them cheap. As I said earlier I really dislike Seagate, but will still use their externals for non-critical stuff if the price is right. Will never have one inside a computer again, though.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
I bought a 3GB one last fall. I use it primarily for offline storage, but I'm using it for the temporary collection drive. If I leave it on (and inactive) for a couple of hours I get a Windows write delay failure on trying to wake it. I did the whole diagnostics and never fixed it. It has never failed during a transfer, so I've basically ignored the problem. From what I've read, Seagate pretty much says if the drive is a problem it's likely your set up. Bad system, bad USB port, bad cable, etc. I have mutiple internal drives set up in exernal cases, also using USB (through a hub no less). I can leave them on for days (without thinking as they are purely offline storage) without problems. They're a mix of WD and Seagate drives, so it's odd that only the GoFlex gives me an issue.

So now I power up the drive, transfer files, disconnect it and power it down. Works fine, but not really what I wanted it to do.