Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Gone

Re: Hard Drive Deals

said by Gone:

They aren't "higher quality" - they're just WD Greens with TLER support for RAID 5. They are otherwise identical to a WD Green. The WD Blue is the baby brother to the WD Black, both being 7200 RPM drives. If you're not using the drive in a RAID 5 array the Red doesn't absolutely nothing for you that a Green already does.

Guspaz and I got into this, TLER has been disabled in the "consumer" drives(Blue Black,Green), so the Red drives is a marketing ploy to get more money out of you for the same thing.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by elwoodblues:

so the Red drives is a marketing ploy to get more money out of you for the same thing.

Ding ding ding ding. You got it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

And the better question, is why would I put a 5900 RPM (why they ddn't just go back to 5400 is a good question too) in a NAS or DAS.

Donoero had a gig where the previous admin put green drives in a disc array.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Greens (or any other consumer drive for that matter) should fine for RAID 1, but RAID 5 can be like playing with fire.

Seagate were the ones who started the 5900 RPM thing. The only reason I can think it that it provides the best ratio between performance and power savings versus 5400 or full-blown 7200.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
reply to andyb

said by andyb:

Dunno how these drives are but on sale for $80

Kingston V+200 KR-S3020-3H 120GB Internal Solid State Drive - 2.5" Form Factor, SATA III, 6Gb/s, RAISE, DuraWrite, DuraClass Technology

Not bad, but not great -- right now the cutting edge price points on SSD's is 50c/GB -- I've seen several 240GB units around $129.99 on sale with just a few at $119.99 (usually with a mail in rebate). I've seen quite a few of the 120GB for $69.99, with a few on sale at $59.99 (again usually with mail-in rebate).

I'm waiting for a 240GB SSD at $119.99 "no rebate needed" to install in my network services box, to cut down on power usage.. Currently it provides DNS, DHCP, Sendmail, IMAP, Asterisk Phone server, WebDAV server, etc - but no reason to have a hard drive spinning all the time. I thought about moving it over to a RaspPi running on an SDHC card, but I need a little more CPU power (running on a core 2 duo w/ 4GB ram - and that's pretty snappy).

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
reply to elwoodblues

I see the new Samsung 840 series SSD's will be very very close to the 830's in pricing.

The 830's should be discounted soon.

FaxCap

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to elwoodblues

3TB External at Ncix for $120. That's not bad, if it's a 7200rpm drive inside, it's cheaper then buying the bare metal drive.

»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=74983···oid=1210

OCZ Vertex 4 256gb $180 with rebate

»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69939···oid=1210

And finally a 2TB Seagate Drive for $90 (going rate Gone)

»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=66010···oid=1210

vue666
Small block Chevys never die
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1

Not an hard drive but can be used with a hard drive...

A friend at work uses one of these and recommends it over the WD Live TV box I have and love...

Pivos Aios Network Media Player $89 but $59 after mail-in rebate....
it has a 3.5 inch internal bay for a hard drive...

»ncix.com/products/?sku=64162&vpn···ications

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Supports bluray iso, like that

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Hey Vue, those media players look real nice. While WD has been sitting on their hiny, this company has put in GIG network and other nice touches. It has my interest!!

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS

Anav open up that leather wallet of yours and let a few moths fly loose... LOL

Yeah and the price is right too...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Anav

said by Anav:

Hey Vue, those media players look real nice. While WD has been sitting on their hiny, this company has put in GIG network and other nice touches. It has my interest!!

I'm getting one, and yeah WD has been sitting on their hands.. They better have a new model coming out for Christmas, or at 60 bucks, this thing is going to destroy their sales.

I have read some reviews, and they aren't nice,but considering I'm not paying for it,I'll give it whirl.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS

After you've had it for awhile you'll have to do a review of the device for us....

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to elwoodblues

Hmmm, everything Ive read says its decent. Most negatives were on the initial remote it came with. Only boxee has a decent remote but at least the pivos unit has a web browser thats friendly or so it seems.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

I read a review over at HardOCP, that it had plenty of issues but that was a year ago.

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS

said by elwoodblues:

I read a review over at HardOCP, that it had plenty of issues but that was a year ago.

Maybe that explains the low price?

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to elwoodblues

I'm in the market for an external USB 3.0 or eSata case that can hold two or more hard drives...

Do you blokes have any recommendations?

Cheers

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to vue666

said by vue666:

Not an hard drive but can be used with a hard drive...

A friend at work uses one of these and recommends it over the WD Live TV box I have and love...

Pivos Aios Network Media Player $89 but $59 after mail-in rebate....
it has a 3.5 inch internal bay for a hard drive...

Do these receive the stream from your pc through your router or are
these an internet device themselves?

FaxCap

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to vue666

I use the Thermaltake Dock solution .

I got 4 or 5 of these things around the house, some USB2, some USB3 some Esata. I personally cannot stand external cases, if there is a really good deal on an external drive, I'll buy it and take the drive out.

It's a PITA, I have to bundle up the case, the brick that comes with it and a USB Cable if I hit the road, then you have to see if there is a outlet where you are going..

I have 2 500gb USB powered drives (USB 3) and a 32gb stick so that suits me just fine for portability.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to FaxCap

I should be able to access my network shares and play content that way. The WDTV I have now is 100mb connection and even when I'm downloading Linux distros at 28mb I have no problems.

With Gbe I should be laughing.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Well Computer Canada has it on for $88 and free shipping vice NCIX at $89 and $10 express shipping. What cheeses me off is that Memory Express has none instock becuase they would match and beat it for $85 plus the free shipping. All of them have the $30 mail in rebate ontop.

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to elwoodblues

Elwood - Are you going to the media player?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

said by vue666:

Elwood - Are you going to the media player?

I emailed my sister and said I wanted it for my Bday and she ordered it for me.

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS

Boy your sister stills gives you presents at 23? LOL

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

said by vue666:

We always exchange presents.. never fail. I got her a zipline ride for her birthday, across the Elora Gorge.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Anav

said by Anav:

Well Computer Canada has it on for $88 and free shipping vice NCIX at $89 and $10 express shipping. What cheeses me off is that Memory Express has none instock becuase they would match and beat it for $85 plus the free shipping. All of them have the $30 mail in rebate ontop.

My bad it was Best Direct out of BC that has it 1$ cheaper than ncix with free shipping
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS

Best Direct is a& direct Canada are sister companies of NCIX

See the heading "Sister Companies" in the NCIX wiki

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCIX

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Looking for a 60GB good quality SSD for a low price?($50/60)
Was going to install Windows 7 64 bit & Dungeons & Dragons Online
on it. Any hints/tips/info/suggestions/advice? Thanks in advance! :P!

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to vue666

said by vue666:

My brother and I do at 43 and soon to be 48

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to GoRaptors

I wouldn't go with anything less than 120gb. I run 120gb on both of my computers and after installing a basic software suite I've got maybe 20gb free on both.
--
Tom