donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Gone

Re: Hard Drive Deals

said by Gone:

said by roguesmith:

any good SSD deal. I have a ocz 120gb but it is not enough...

What do you mean? If you have a Vertex/Agility 2 or older I can understand wanting to upgrade, but if it's a Vertex/Agility/Solid 3 you're just wasting your money by upgrading to a different SSD.

I think he means it is not big enough.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

Ah, fair enough.

Still, my 120GB in the desktop has been more than ample for Windows and my core apps, but I've got 8TB of magnetic storage hooked up to that same machine I could understand it being a problem in a laptop if it's the only machine you use.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elwoodblues

»www.newegg.ca/Special/ShellShock···022012_1

$109.99 + $4.99 Shipping

Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT180A3K5 2.5" 180GB SATA III SSD

If I wasn't broke I'd be buying two! This deal is very close to the 50 cents/GB barrier and it's not some cheapy Agility neither.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Yeah, the 330s are great.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by Gone:

If it was bigger, I would get it. I want it for my Mac Mini and since it is the only drive, need more than 250 GB.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by donoreo:

said by Gone:

If it was bigger, I would get it. I want it for my Mac Mini and since it is the only drive, need more than 250 GB.

I thought you couldn't take apart Apple portables?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by elwoodblues:

said by donoreo:

said by Gone:

I thought you couldn't take apart Apple portables?

Mini = desktop. The small square one. It is essentially a laptop by parts, everything in it is made from laptop components. I currently have a 320 in there with 60 GB free. I can free another 60GB by moving my iTunes music to a NAS. I can move photos from 2011 as well and free another 20 or so, but not much more.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

AHH gotcha....

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

Mini = desktop. The small square one. It is essentially a laptop by parts, everything in it is made from laptop components.

Perhaps no longer, but at one time that was the same case with the iMacs. I think it's how they managed to squeeze all the components into the display.
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1

Crucial M4 Micron C400 SSD 256GB
$189

»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=60446···oid=1146

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues

OCZ Agility 3

OCZ Agility 3 Series AGT3-25SAT3-240G 240GB Internal Solid State Drive - 2.5" Form Factor, SATA III, 6Gbps

$139.97 after $20 Mail in rebate

»www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···261-8202
--

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

Waiting for the magic less than $0.50/gb -- Should be avail by mid year.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto

said by mazhurg:

Waiting for the magic less than $0.50/gb -- Should be avail by mid year.

me too. May be by end of the year I hope.

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to elwoodblues

NCIX
Hitachi 1T 7200rpm SATA3 32meg cache $59.99

»ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=···oid=1382

The 500gig is $49.99

FaxCap

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS

Good price...thanks for the heads up...

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to creed3020

said by creed3020:

»www.newegg.ca/Special/ShellShock···022012_1

$109.99 + $4.99 Shipping

Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT180A3K5 2.5" 180GB SATA III SSD

If I wasn't broke I'd be buying two! This deal is very close to the 50 cents/GB barrier and it's not some cheapy Agility neither.

Getting there. I need about 250GB for under $150 before I take the bait. It would be installed in the MacBook -- which would need to be de-junked of too many files...
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to FaxCap

said by FaxCap:

NCIX

Those are real nice drives, probably the closest thing to a WD Black on the market right now.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to vue666

said by vue666:

$189

Raise you a Memory Express Take on the issue for $159.

»www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX33418
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by FaxCap:

NCIX

Those are real nice drives, probably the closest thing to a WD Black on the market right now.

WD Black are you sure these Hitachis are of that quality?
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Performance. Quality is a whole other matter, though I'm sure despite the smaller warranty they would probably last just as long if they were well taken care of.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues

Hitachi drives have a good reputation for quality. According to Backblaze, a backup provider with at the time over 9000 drives (they should be well over double that by now), in the middle of last year they said:

said by Backblaze :

We are constantly looking at new hard drives, evaluating them for reliability and power consumption. The Hitachi 3TB drive (Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3030ALA630) is our current favorite for both its low power demand and astounding reliability. The Western Digital and Seagate equivalents we tested saw much higher rates of popping out of RAID arrays and drive failure. Even the Western Digital Enterprise Hard Drives had the same high failure rates. The Hitachi drives, on the other hand, perform wonderfully.

Elsewhere in that blog post, they said that their non-Hitachi drives saw about a 5% per year failure rate, while the Hitachi drives were at under 1% failure rate. And these are consumer drives.

Now, experience with one particular model of drive doesn't necessarily extend to all drives from a company, but it does go to show that Hitachi does have some good stuff.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Anav

said by Anav:

said by vue666:

$189

Raise you a Memory Express Take on the issue for $159.

»www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX33418

That is getting down to where I might pull the trigger soon. It seems the price break on SSDs is at the 256 size, anything above that is a lot more expensive.
--

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to elwoodblues

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB $89.99

»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=66010···oid=1258

I know this is a hard drive thread but I can't help mentioning NCIX's
Intel Core i7 3770 sale price of $279.99.....that's $50 off.

»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=70539···oid=1258

FaxCap

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

I'm glad to see that slow and steady decline of the 2TB price. That NCIX sale you referenced is the first time I've seen $89.99 for a 2TB since pre-flood. Too bad the WDC Greens are not following as closely behind, those Seagate as getting such poor reviews in terms of longevity and DOAs.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

The new Seagates aren't bad, it was just that their reputation was murdered by the whole 7200.11 fiasco and head parking issues with the Baracuda LP, though for what it's worth that same issue affected the WD Green, too.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by Gone:

The new Seagates aren't bad, it was just that their reputation was murdered by the whole 7200.11 fiasco and head parking issues with the Baracuda LP, though for what it's worth that same issue affected the WD Green, too.

The 7200.11 was fixed by firmware, non? I have several and never had a problem with them.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Yes, but if the drive pooched out before the firmware update you were SOL.

When it comes to hard drive issues, people seem to have inordinately long memories. The whole 75GXP fiasco 10 or so years ago lead to IBM dumping its entire hard drive division in shame, which is rather amusing since Hitachi drives are turning out to be some of the best on the market right now.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

said by Gone:

When it comes to hard drive issues, people seem to have inordinately long memories. The whole 75GXP fiasco 10 or so years ago lead to IBM dumping its entire hard drive division in shame, which is rather amusing since Hitachi drives are turning out to be some of the best on the market right now.

I had at work two of those in 30 GB size. They were awesome drives except for the failure.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

YES the Deathstars!

LOL

Then the Kalok drives which were pure trash.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

I had at work two of those in 30 GB size. They were awesome drives except for the failure.

Yup, and that's partially the reason why IBM was murdered over it. The 75GXP was the fastest drive on the market at the time and were primarily purchased by enthusiasts. Glowing reviews from all the usual review sites, etc etc. Then they started failing all at the same time en masse. To say that the backlash was epic would be an epic understatement in itself. Needless to say, IBM never recovered and sold the entire division to Hitachi.