Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Devanchya

Premium Member

to Devanchya

Re: Hard Drive Deals

said by Devanchya:

They are cheap to make and there is still a huge market for them in Corporate Sales.

In fact the new desktop I just saw ordered here has 250gb drives still.

In the workplace most people do not even need that much space. You give them space they will store things locally and then bitch that they lost their data when the drive fails.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya

Premium Member

Yes I agree, but when you start looking at the size requirements of certain applications it becomes easier for the support staff to go with 250gb as the standard. Our virtual desktops which most people now use as their "real" desktops are only 50gb in size. Developers have 250gb and complain all the time they want 2tb drives... because they are developers and like size measuring.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
SSD is different from Mechanical, a 250 SSD Boot drive would be good.

As for deleting, I do too, but I also "keep" some .
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I wonder why 1TB and 500gb Hard drives are still around, they're just too small.

Run cooler than larger drives and depending on their intended use 500GB is a decent size (I still have approx 400GB free on it actually)

I run a 120GB SSD + 500GB data drive but keep all my media files on my NAS (easier sharing of media as the NAS can share to any device I have and uses way less power etc. that running the big box)

Course that data drive is getting up there age wise (IIRC its from 2007) a WD drive so I may start poking for a decent deal to replace it with a like sized drive.

NefCanuck
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Just had a WD Green 500gb fail on me weekend past... I went to the WDC site and found the warranty just expired a few months ago...

It was in my Ubuntu server and was holding a backup of my music collection....
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by vue666:

Just had a WD Green 500gb fail on me weekend past... I went to the WDC site and found the warranty just expired a few months ago...

It was in my Ubuntu server and was holding a backup of my music collection....

Ouch, I have 2 x 2TB WD Green drives in my NAS server in a RAID 1 configuration, just over one year in, so far so good, but since I can add two more drives in the NAS enclosure, I think I'd better dump two more drives in and go RAID 5 :/

NefCanuck

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Devanchya

MVM

to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

Yes I agree, but when you start looking at the size requirements of certain applications it becomes easier for the support staff to go with 250gb as the standard. Our virtual desktops which most people now use as their "real" desktops are only 50gb in size. Developers have 250gb and complain all the time they want 2tb drives... because they are developers and like size measuring.

My dev box at work has ~210GB used right now. A 250GB drive would be silly.

Before this computer I had an 80GB drive... It was a nightmare of constantly having to run windirstat and try to find things to delete, which made me less productive.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
Ajax, ON

Devanchya

Premium Member

The point of a small drive is to ensure you don't use it to store things though. Put everything into the Network where SAN's, NFS and other forms of "cheap and deep" hardware can keep it backed up.

In fact if you are a developer everything you need to build your software should be going into the Change Management software at LEAST nightly... and that should be associated with a Continuous Build system and hopefully Code Review, Turn Over Review, and Final Deployment automation

You only have space on your local machine to save time on compiling.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
Errm, change management systems don't save any space. You still need local copies of all the branches, which takes up a substantial amount of space, and the compiled binaries of a massive application like ours also take up a ton of space.

It also doesn't help that I'm in integration so I work with all of our products, which means that I can end up with binaries to multiple versions of many of our products...

We have limited NAS space, but it's just for important backups.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - $129.00

»www.ncix.com/products/?s ··· oid=1296

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
If you only need a 500gig drive here's a great deal....$49.99

»www.ncix.com/products/in ··· oid=1296

FaxCap
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Click for full size
Seagate 1.5 external drive $30.00 off ---> $79.98

»www.staples.ca/ENG/Catal ··· d=401441

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by vue666:

Not bad... I grabbed five of those at Staples when they were $69 back in March.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

said by vue666:

Not bad... I grabbed five of those at Staples when they were $69 back in March.

5!!! They would only give us one by my place.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Devanchya

to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

The point of a small drive is to ensure you don't use it to store things though. Put everything into the Network where SAN's, NFS and other forms of "cheap and deep" hardware can keep it backed up.

In fact if you are a developer everything you need to build your software should be going into the Change Management software at LEAST nightly... and that should be associated with a Continuous Build system and hopefully Code Review, Turn Over Review, and Final Deployment automation

You only have space on your local machine to save time on compiling.

+1. I use a 240gb SSD as my OS/Games/Applications drive. It makes the OS/Applications/Games run much faster and smoother. Anything else (like music/video) I store on my three 2tb drives.

I usually have about 60-70gb free on the SSD (which is good.. because I like to download stuff on on it before I move it to other drives). The downside is I have to keep an eye on how many games I have installed on it as those are probably the biggest eater I have of SSD hard drive space. When SSD's get bigger I'll probably upgrade to 500gb SSD.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

Unless you need that drive now I'd maybe wait. they have them as door crashers like every month. I've got 3 at 69 each. no issues with them I love them.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
Ajax, ON

Devanchya to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
How you setup the Change Management system can easily save space. Perforce can do it quite well with it's Client views. But there is some simnatics here that could start an argument that isn't worth it. Main reason is, all systems are different and everyone "does it differently"
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

said by vue666:

Unless you need that drive now I'd maybe wait. they have them as door crashers like every month. I've got 3 at 69 each. no issues with them I love them.

Thanksgiving week I purchased a 2TB Seagate Freeagent USB 3.0 with power supply for $83.00 at Best Buy in Bangor, Maine... I reformated it as ext4 and it's attached to one of my Zorin-OS 5.1 computers (Ubuntu 12.04 based Linux distro)...

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by vue666:

Thanksgiving week I purchased a 2TB Seagate Freeagent USB 3.0 with power supply for $83.00 at Best Buy in Bangor, Maine... I reformated it as ext4 and it's attached to one of my Zorin-OS 5.1 computers (Ubuntu 12.04 based Linux distro)..

I paid $89 for one of those drives at the local Staples here in Fort Erie over the summer. Has served us well as a backup drive at the shop.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
My two 80GB Intel G2s arrived yesterday, and are now living in my server as L2ARC and ZIL cache drives I had previously swapped out the mobo/cpu for an i7-920, and tonight I'm expecting my 24GB of RAM to arrive. No more performance issues from being RAM-starved

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Yea, having > 24GB is game changing, it's nice having a pile of virtual machines with 4GB allocated to them without disturbing your primary system. Also nice having a RAM drive for temporary internet files.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5IN

$128.99 discounted from $169.98 at NCIX.

Excellent buy.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

do want man why must I be jobless.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

TigerDirect is selling Intel x25-m G2 80GB SSDs for $30 after coupon/rebate:

$60 base price
$-10 coupon
$-20 MIR

»www.tigerdirect.ca/appli ··· =4969041

»www.4myrebate.com/?oc=TD-7215

I (and a lot of my friends) bought two of them. I'm going to put one in my fileserver as a ZIL cache drive, and the other one in the fileserver as an L2ARC cache drive.

A word of caution: these SSDs have proven their reliability since they've been on the market for years, but by the same token, they're relatively slow because they've been on the market for years. They use the same controller as the original G1 drives (plus some tweaks like TRIM support and slightly better write speeds), which were the first practical SSDs on the market... I paid $700 for my 160GB G1. But even though they're much slower than modern SSDs, they're enormously faster than any spinning rust!

Ordered one last night from TigerDirect.ca...Today I get an e-mail from them with a tracking number. The item is shipping from - West Columbia, South Carolina...I thought it would have been in Ontario...LOL

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
The MIR expired a week ago, though... you'll have to pay the $50. Still a decent price, but not as awesome.

The 24GB in my server isn't because of VMs or anything like that, but because ZFS is a memory hog. 24GB may be overkill, though. 2GB was a nightmare (constant problems), 3.3GB (previous mobo was 32-bit) was an improvement but still liked to time out some SMB requests, 8GB seemed problem-free. So going from 8GB to 24GB wasn't necessarily required.

That said, I had horrible and unreliable OCZ RAM for that 8GB, which seemed to cause tons of RAM corruption issues even if memtest86+ never could turn up anything, so swapping out the bum OCZ RAM (they don't even make RAM anymore) with some nice HyperX will help there.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

The MIR expired a week ago, though... you'll have to pay the $50. Still a decent price, but not as awesome.

You mean the X25? They have a $20 rebate valid until the 31st now, but no longer the $10 discount.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to elwoodblues

MVM

to elwoodblues
Ah, for some reason they have a new rebate.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

Ah, for some reason they have a new rebate.

To generate sales, just guess that would be the reason

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - $129.00

»www.ncix.com/products/?s ··· oid=1296

Ordered two of those yesterday, couldn't resist.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

T
The 24GB in my server isn't because of VMs or anything like that, but because ZFS is a memory hog.

Oh, I thought we were referring to workstations.

My home server has 18GB and it's not virtualized, I upgraded it to Windows Server 2012 when Microsoft gave me some keys last week and it hosts Exchange to activesync my personal phone, 16 TB of media shares, terminal services so i can access my IM's, email, etc., from far-away PC's. That experience uses up about 9GB of RAM (lots of desktop apps are eating up the RAM).

Have a new server in boxes though, since June, for doing fun virtualizing stuff with ESX and about 64GB of RAM... unfortunately I haven't had time to integrate it. Some day...