uniqs
share rss forum feed

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to urbanriot

Re: Hard Drive Deals

Thanks, whats your opinion on the Adaptec 6405?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

said by Thane_Bitter:

Thanks, whats your opinion on the Adaptec 6405?

Well, in the early days of SCSI I spent much of my time with Adaptec then moved to 3Ware then in the days of SATA/SAS I've gone through 3Ware (LSI), LSI / Intel / Dell, Areca (horrible), and now back to Adaptec... and I'm quite happy with that choice as the experience has been very positive.

Comparatively, the Adaptec has been the best experience as the interface is really easy to work with, error messages are easy to interpret, the cards are extremely compatible with everything else and... well, all the issues I've had with all of the above, I don't have with the Adaptec cards. I'm recently and happily converted.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues
Me, I've got two 8-port LSI boards. One of them a SuperMicro card that has no backplate and is literally just held in the slot by friction. It was the original card in the build, cost half as much as an LSI card, but it was a dumb way to save $150. For the second card I bought a real LSI board.

Anyhow, because I have 16 real SATA ports (plus another six onboard), I don't need to use any sort of drive expanders. I put three IcyDock MB455SPF-B hotswap bays into the case. They each hold five drives and take up three 5.25" slots, so the front of the case has fifteen hotswap 3.5" slots in nine 5.25" slots. Love it.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a bigger case; wiring the internals of the lianli I bought has been a nightmare. I would also have started with a proper LSI board instead of the SuperMicro one, and I would have bought the 3ware cables for them instead of the supermicro cables (the 3ware cables are enormously less stiff). Also I would never have started out with a mobo that could only accept 3.3GB of RAM, since ZFS was RAM starved until I gave it at least 8.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
Yea, I usually use 3ware cables as well, they're usually longer, clip tighter and are more flexible than lower cost or packaged alternatives.

My biggest complaint with LSI is obscure messages like:

"Unrecovered read error, CDB = 0x2f 0x00 0x14 0x27 0x... etc"
or "Data synchronization mark error, CDB = 0x2f 0x00 0x14 0x27 0x... etc"

At that point, I need to refer to documentation to refer what the hell those addresses refer to.

On my Adaptec with Adaptec Storage Manager, the drive with issues is clearly marked with a red or yellow indicator. Drive with issue? Here you go, this is the drive that has issues.

I appreciate the verbose log with LSI equipment but I don't get the same helpful information as I do with Adaptec. My workstation has an LSI1078 based controller (3 years?) and the console doesn't give me the same SMART information I get from the Adaptec. Little things like that.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
I'm using the LSI controllers in IT mode, though; they act as dumb SATA controllers. For that reason, I never care about any messages they might send. Almost any problem would be handled at the ZFS layer.

I didn't notice any difference in SMART data from any other controller that I'm used to, but I didn't specifically check.
--

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
Any good deals on Blu-ray burners?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
They're not all that expensive in general. They start at about $80. Newegg has an LG unit on sale for 16% off ($95 -> $80) that has better specs than the non-sale $80 units.

Caution: Bluray burners do not typically come with bluray playback software. Such software (like WinDVD or PowerDVD) normally sells for $80 itself, although WinDVD Pro 11 is currently on sale for $50.

Another caution: Windows 8 is currently incompatible with all Bluray playback software from any company. Windows 8 can only play DVDs regardless of what software you have.
--

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
I'm more interested in burning data to Blu-ray - ie: photos, digital paintings, 3D readings that I have created... instead of multiple dvds...

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Another caution: Windows 8 is currently incompatible with all Bluray playback software from any company. Windows 8 can only play DVDs regardless of what software you have.

Ha, they still must be sore over selecting the HD-DVD format for their xbox360, then buying back all those unwanted units.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by Thane_Bitter:

said by Guspaz:

Ha, they still must be sore over selecting the HD-DVD format for their xbox360, then buying back all those unwanted units.

No it's because they don't want to license it from Sony.
Lots of third party apps out there, in fact VLC just go an update to 2.04 this morning and is supposed to play BR (they say experimental) but I need to try it still.

Of course if you know where to look There is total media theatre which plays BR discs/images beautifully with menus.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to elwoodblues
480gb SSD drive

OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-480G

Unless TD screwed up, it's showing USB 2.0 speeds

»www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···rlot.com
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
You may want to consider getting a BDXL burner, then. The $80 LG unit supports it. Those can burn up to 128GB per disc, as opposed to 50GB with regular bluray.

BDXL adds the following capacities to the Bluray spec:

100GB (33.3GB x 3 layers) rewritable
100GB (33.3GB x 3 layers) write-once
128GB (32.0GB x 4 layers) write-once

Bluray is an evolving spec. It may well be the last optical spec we ever have, even for 4K video, because of how it can be expanded. Companies have already demonstrated working 200GB rewritable discs (33.3GB x 6 layers), 400GB read-only discs (25GB x 16 layers), and the plan is to eventually hit 1TB per disc (although the companies believe that will require a different wavelength laser).

When Bluray was new and the companies were talking about future many-layer discs with big capacities, I was initially skeptical... But now they've actually been selling 128GB quad-layer discs for years...
--

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

480gb SSD drive

OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-480G

Unless TD screwed up, it's showing USB 2.0 speeds

»www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···rlot.com

The price is coming down on higher capacity ones. $299 for that one!
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
It has nothing to do with Sony or HD-DVD. It's simply that Microsoft changed the APIs sufficiently to break WinDVD and PowerDVD, and neither Corel nor Cyberlink have bothered to update their software yet, despite over a year of warning. They'll probably try to sell it to us as an upgrade.

VLC's bluray support is not all that useful. Even if the experimental bluray decoding/demuxing/menu stuff works properly, it can't properly decrypt stuff all by itself (IIRC they have limited de-AACS support if you give it a list of the keys, but no BD+ support), which means you have to pay for AnyDVD HD, which at ~$155 CAD is far more expensive than commercial BluRay playback software (which tends to be eternally on sale for $40-50, or $90 if not).
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
$299 for a 480GB OCZ drive, or $380 for 2x240GB Intel 330... I know which one I'd pick.

Also, Intel just introduced the 240GB Intel 335. Identical to the 330 except it uses 20nm flash instead of 25nm. Prices are currently higher but eventually it should be cheaper than the 330.
--

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues
If you need some speed....

Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$109.99

»promotions.newegg.ca/NEemail/pro···_-HDD#IT
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Guspaz
To be fair Guspaz, I'm confidently say that most people won't be playing commercial BR discs on their PC.

If that is indeed the case, I'm pretty sure most of us know where to obtain BR discs unprotected if necessary.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

$299 for a 480GB OCZ drive, or $380 for 2x240GB Intel 330... I know which one I'd pick.

Yup.

»www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/···0-q-yet/

quote:
The troubled solid-state drive company OCZ Technology Group this afternoon disclosed that it has sharply reduced its staff as it works to refocus the company.

OCZ said non-production staff has been cut 28%, while the workforce at OCZ’s Taiwan production facility has been reduced by 32%.

I'd be cautious about OCZ for the moment.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I think their main problem is their focus on 1000 different product lines. From what I read in the article they're going to streamline development of new product lines and drop other lines.

Hopefully they survive. Competition is a good thing.
--
Tom

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
I wonder if there will be a few OCZ items on sale shortly???

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

I think their main problem is their focus on 1000 different product lines. From what I read in the article they're going to streamline development of new product lines and drop other lines.

Hopefully they survive. Competition is a good thing.

That and they've also managed to build a reputation for unreliable products. Other companies using the same controllers have not... I'm not sure what OCZ is doing wrong, but my guess is that they're just not validating their products well enough. Their testing is not lengthy enough or rigorous enough, and so they rush insufficiently tested products to market.

said by elwoodblues:

To be fair Guspaz, I'm confidently say that most people won't be playing commercial BR discs on their PC.

If that is indeed the case, I'm pretty sure most of us know where to obtain BR discs unprotected if necessary.

Umm, what other reason is there to buy a bluray drive except to play commercial bluray discs?
--

Misaow

join:2010-10-19
Ottawa, ON
reply to elwoodblues
I know its not a SSD but this thread is about HDD...

2 TB USB3 external from WD 159.99 + can combine with coupon code ZZ3$LVBXFBP33N for another 15$ off, free shipping.
»accessories.dell.com/sna/product···A6111909

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Umm, what other reason is there to buy a bluray drive except to play commercial bluray discs?

I wonder

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Given the reasonable size, I would use them for data storage. I would back up my photo library.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

How about data backup? Instead of backing up my digital car show photographs for 2012 (which I shoot in the RAW format) to one Bluray disc instead of 10 or 12 DVDs...

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by vue666:

How about data backup?

Yea, it was a strange question he asked. I'd bet more people use them for legitimate backup purposes than piracy. I've never used my blu-ray burners for piracy, they're entirely for archival.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

said by Guspaz:

How about data backup? Instead of backing up my digital car show photographs for 2012 (which I shoot in the RAW format) to one Bluray disc instead of 10 or 12 DVDs...

Exactly. I would use them for off site backup at my in laws.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by Guspaz:

Given the reasonable size, I would use them for data storage. I would back up my photo library.

Optical media is so last year. a buck each, for one time use is quite expensive. I'd rather purchase a mechanical drive (1.5tb for $69 for example)then store anything on optical any more.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
You can't do any of those things with a bluray drive... They require a bluray burner.
--

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by Guspaz:

You can't do any of those things with a bluray drive... They require a bluray burner.

... a bluray burner is a "bluray drive".