Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Wolfie00

Re: Hard Drive Deals

said by Wolfie00:

said by Guspaz:

No, I suggest a 256GB SSD and a 2TB HDD

I agree, though I'm thinking a good 120 or 128 GB SSD would be adequate.

On my last personal build I wish I had gone with a 256gig SSD rather
than 120gig for C:. I am constantly amazed at how much HAS to go
on C: no matter what drive the main installation goes on.

FaxCap

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Guspaz
OCZ's SandForce stuff has gotten fairly mature to the point where I don't worry about their reliability. I have one in the laptop I'm typing on right now. I ran into some issues with the system randomly freezing a while ago, but that was resolved with a firmware update and has since been without any issue.

Having said that, I still use an Intel 520 in my desktop and wouldn't have it any other way.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues
I prefer Intel, but Samsung and Crucial's stuff is also good. Any brand beyond that I'd have to investigate; OCZ are to be avoided at all costs.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
reply to Wolfie00
You might take a look at Newegg or Fry's. I've gotten some pretty good deals at both.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

No, I suggest a 256GB SSD and a 2TB HDD

I agree, though I'm thinking a good 120 or 128 GB SSD would be adequate.

I recall that you also like Intel SSD's, and I agree with that, too.

Now, put our two points of agreement together, and we're talking about a 256GB Intel SSD that costs about twice as much as the WD drive that is necessary anyway and that I already complained about ripped off for! Which is the only reason I didn't get the SSD. When prices come down or something decent goes on sale, we're all set to move the 120 GB Windows partition to an SSD. I have a lot more demands on my limited finances than the fastest possible disk configuration, including many other computers that all need stuff, and for the time being, for a computer that is not going to be used very often, a good fast reliable HDD seemed like a good place to start.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

Not a realistic assessment, IMHO. This is going to be his backup/semi-portable game machine, the new one being some monstrous water- cooled supercomputer that is too heavy to lug around to LAN competitions. Every bit of performance matters. Of course an SSD makes a huge difference, and the new one has a ginormous SSD of some size that I don't recall, because I had nothing to do with building it myself. The old Dell was just being rehabilitated potentially for my own use, but I set it up as his backup gaming machine, and also built Windows in a 120 GB partition so we could easily move it to an affordable SSD in the near future. So we're really talking about the difference between distributing functionality between an SSD and a fast drive, vs. distributing it between an SSD and a slower drive. Or do you suggest I buy a 2 TB SSD?

No, I suggest a 256GB SSD and a 2TB HDD, but at that point it's a lot less important how fast the 2TB is since it's bulk storage.

My desktop is SSD-only (2x 180GB Intel 330), but it's backed up by a file server which (as soon as the shipment arrives) will have a total of 44TB of capacity. The drives don't need to be fast, they're storing bulk data, and performance is helped by the fact that it's a RAID array (only two storage pools means only 2x the IOPS, although the throughput would be great if the GigE connection didn't bottleneck it).

Come to think of it, my laptop (Mac air) is SSD-only too, and the file server is doing everything off SSD except for the storage array itself. The things (SSDs) are just so darned cheap these days. I've seen 'em dip below $0.60 per gig on sale.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to vue666
We didn't "manage" the printers. The solution was provided by Xerox and some other company, and we - being my end - needed to make Active Directory and the practice management/billing software talk with it.

There were some occasional nightmares we ran into, but overall it worked better than one would ever expect. The actual printer/copier hardware was temperamental as hell, though. We had situations with AC voltage on the mains and interference from fluorescent lights causing the printers to crash. They work Workcentre 5655s with additional bottom input trays and the 5000 sheet letter side input tray attachment and the multi finisher. They were monsters compared to what the base unit 5655 normally looks like.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to Gone
I guess that is a reason why HRM municipality has outsourced their printer management to Xerox and is being considered by other government agencies in Nova Scotia....

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to vue666
Getting a Xerox Workcentre integrated with Active Directory with all print jobs being held at the printer under you swipe a prox card against a reader and where any faxing, scanning or copying functions require a matter number to be entered to tie into a law firm practice management back-end (as in, to bill the client for the disbursements) takes the cake.

Memories of those days still keeps me up at night.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to elwoodblues
Try getting one of those Xerox Work centre network scanning on Novell Netware network.....no that's fun.....

We've migrated last year to Windows And network scanning is much better...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to milnoc
said by milnoc:

We'd probably be worse off. Ever tried to use one of their business copiers today? Sheesh! Talk about a bloated, incomprehensible mess! I get better results with an HP multifunction printer!

I had to get one running in an office with network scanning.. boy that was fun.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to elwoodblues
We'd probably be worse off. Ever tried to use one of their business copiers today? Sheesh! Talk about a bloated, incomprehensible mess! I get better results with an HP multifunction printer!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to koira
Going ot,Xerox invented so much stuff and literally threw it away,imagine where they would be if they hadn't.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to GoRaptors

Re: Still looking for a SSD 180GB under $100?

Wait for a sale. And even then, what you'll get for $100 probably won't be that great. SSD technology is still an expensive beast.

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Still looking for a SSD 180GB under $100? Looked everywhere no luck.

Anyone have any leads? Thanks in advance! Cheers! :P! !

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to elwoodblues

Re: Hard Drive Deals

said by elwoodblues:

While we're being nostalgic. How about an Apple Profile?
a 5 or 10mb full height Shugart hard drive inside.

said by elwoodblues:

I used to work on Xerox 8010 hardware, they ran with the belt driven 8" platter Shugart drives. Like this: »www.digibarn.com/friends/curbow/···dex.html
when those heads crashed there was no doubt with the noise they made.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to Guspaz
Not a realistic assessment, IMHO. This is going to be his backup/semi-portable game machine, the new one being some monstrous water- cooled supercomputer that is too heavy to lug around to LAN competitions. Every bit of performance matters. Of course an SSD makes a huge difference, and the new one has a ginormous SSD of some size that I don't recall, because I had nothing to do with building it myself. The old Dell was just being rehabilitated potentially for my own use, but I set it up as his backup gaming machine, and also built Windows in a 120 GB partition so we could easily move it to an affordable SSD in the near future. So we're really talking about the difference between distributing functionality between an SSD and a fast drive, vs. distributing it between an SSD and a slower drive. Or do you suggest I buy a 2 TB SSD?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
All mechanical drives are as slow as molasses, and using them for anything that needs high performance is silly. The difference between the fastest and slowest drives is tiny compared to SSDs, so the only reason to use mechanical is if you need cheap mass storage, at which point the quieter (or cheaper) the better.
--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to donoreo
The Red drives sound good until you realize that they spin at various (mostly low) speeds. Good for NAS but not good for high performance.

BTW, I just finished reinstalling Windows 7 on a Dell XPS 9000 using the new WD drive I bought and the Dell OEM Windows DVD (the son had cannibalized the original HDD's to use in a new computer he built, but this is still a fantastic machine with an Intel i7 quad core and Radeon 5870). Amazingly fast and painless install, apparently Dell has moved to some type of customized reinstall. The original XP and Vista CD's/DVD's were basically OEM versions of standard Windows, but this one just zipped through looking like a normal installation except that "installing features" which is usually the longest part, was done in seconds. Up and running with Windows 7 SP1 in probably less than about ten minutes.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues
TD has the WD RED NAS drives on sale:

»www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···2000EFRX

2TB for $99

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo
Click for full size

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

said by Gone:

Haha, Connor. Now that brings back memories.

I was working for the Shack when those drives were around.

Remember a 25-1029 or 25-1032 or 25-1045? Old "hard card" drives? They were WD drives with controller on them.

Damn you Don, I had forgotten those numbers

The last ones came in as a 20mb single platter drive.. slow as molasses.

I used to make a killing on those things, call up everyone who bought a computer from me at Christmas to tell them at $1,099 a 40mb hard drive was on sale.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to donoreo
I can't remember those models specifically, but I remember Quantum was big on hardcards.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by Gone:

Remember a 25-1029 or 25-1032 or 25-1045? Old "hard card" drives? They were WD drives with controller on them.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to elwoodblues

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

I would, remember those POS drives Kalok?

(youtube clip)
speaking, every hard drive from that era was unreliable.

No, i had conner drives, Seagate and WD's never had the failure rate the Kaloks had.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

I agree, though. If I was making a decision about buying 10,000 drives for a corporation or a production run of PC's, I'd want to have some pretty good hard data on which to base the decision. But one drive for one computer, meh, it's OK to say I've always had good luck with them, like the looks of it, and like the warranty. I'm just amazed that WD can stay in business with such disproportionately high pricing, at least for the "Black" series.

The WD Black is a fantastic drive, I just don't think it demands the price premium over comparable drives of a newer design. WD is feeding off the perception that people still have toward Seagate to artificially inflate their prices, despite the fact that the latest Seagate 7200RPM drives are in many ways better than the Black.

Though, I will say, the fact that the WD Black is (in he the computer world, anyway) an old design that is still fast shows just how amazing it was when it came out a few years ago. I'm really surprised they haven't refreshed the line though, as the only thing I can find are FAEX drives that are the exact same thing as the 1TB drive sitting in my computer that I bought over two years ago. I know that they're planning on releasing SSHD under the WD Black and WD Blue banner, I just have no idea if that is the only replacement for the line or if there will be a magnetic-only version in the future as well.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I would, remember those POS drives Kalok?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HVpNOwzdak

Comparatively speaking, every hard drive from that era was unreliable.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

While I may paint a line of drives as being bad (e.g. the 7200.11s), I won't do it to an entire manufacturer. I would hope others would do the same.

7200.11 -- were those the wonderful Seagate drives that might fry their firmware at random during any powerup, depending on the phase of the moon?

I agree, though. If I was making a decision about buying 10,000 drives for a corporation or a production run of PC's, I'd want to have some pretty good hard data on which to base the decision. But one drive for one computer, meh, it's OK to say I've always had good luck with them, like the looks of it, and like the warranty. I'm just amazed that WD can stay in business with such disproportionately high pricing, at least for the "Black" series.