watch

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to urbanriot

Re: Hard Drive Deals

Yeah, I was up at Costco on Sunday and I usually take a look at all that stuff but decided to beeline to what I needed and got out quickly instead.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

That's a real good price, I'm tempted to drive up to St. Cats and pick up two.

Yea, now might be a good time if the exchange rate heads up... I saw 4TB for $129 and I thought that was a good deal too.

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to elwoodblues
I have a Seagate Backup Plus 3TB that gets lots of use. It's an excellent drive! Doesn't get anywhere near as warm as my 3TB Seagate Expansion.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Styvas
That's a real good price, I'm tempted to drive up to St. Cats and pick up two.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to IamGimli
Good eye! Unfortunately, I don't actually need one, and don't have a spare hundred lying around to buy it and save it for later.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

weird...my 896MB GTX 260 is massive compared to that thing...that card kind of looks like a low end card, but i guess with 4 GB of RAM on it...my card barely, and i mean barely, fit in my tower.

It may be 4GB but it's DDR3, not GDDR5 like other graphics card. This seems to be more angled at a market that doesn't required high performance but a lot of video memory, probably some sort of CAD software or still picture editing.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to Styvas
said by Styvas:

Just saw this one at Costco. Seems like a decent price for 3TB.

That's a clearance price (note the asterisk and the .97 price). If you're thinking about it, don't wait too long as they're on their last pallet of that product.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to vue666
I'm running two similar Seagates right now without problems, but they don't get heavy use, admittedly. The only drive I've had literally fail was a Western Digital quite a while ago.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to Styvas
Nice find... my only issue would be it's "Seagate"....

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Click for full size
Just saw this one at Costco. Seems like a decent price for 3TB.

DeViLzzz

join:2004-07-29
Sarnia, ON

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues
Hey Western Digital it has been quite awhile now since the flooding that caused you to raise prices. Please return prices to something close to the pre-flood prices ... now !

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues
1.25TB per platter would still be under the 1 terabit per square inch limit, so it's not surprising. Combined with HGST's 7 platter drives...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

alexpb1

Barrie, ON
reply to elwoodblues
1.25 TB platters are under development according to some articles I've read. People are speculating whether WD's 5TB drives will be 5x 1TB platters or 4x 1.25 TB.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
They top out at about 1 terabit per square inch with PMR, theoretically, after that they move to HAMR, which has been demonstrated already at 1 terabit per square inch. So that's around where the transition point is. Current 1TB/platter drives are somewhere between 566-625 Gbit/sqin depending on the surface area of the platter.

Traditionally, we can fit up to 5 platters in a standard 3.5" drive, meaning current areal densities can support 5TB drives. HGST, however, announced that their new Helium-filled drives will sport 7 platters, which would mean 7TB drives. Once we max out the current-generation technology (perpendicular), it seems like we'll be somewhere around 11-12TB before the current recording technology is maximized. I don't expect them to go that far, though, because there will come a point where it will be REALLY hard to maximize the current technology, and increasingly easier to just jump to HAMR.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to alexpb1
I though they hit the wall on the current tech with 4tb?

alexpb1

Barrie, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Even better deal:
NCIX just matched the $139.99 price.
They are also offering free shipping too.
Apparently if you already ordered from ME you can contact them and price match the free shipping offer from NCIX and be refunded the difference.

»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=78093···oid=1293

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

WD still hasn't released their 4TB red/green drives

Yep, I'm looking for 4TB REDs to upgrade one of my NAS boxes...

the 8x3TB RED NAS is working great... quick, quiet and very little energy usage... Idles around 55W, in use around 62W. Compared to my old server which idled around 200W and 250W read/write its quite an improvement.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
WD still hasn't released their 4TB red/green drives

alexpb1

Barrie, ON
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by alexpb1:

In case anyone is interested, Memory Express has a one-day only deal on those 4TB Seagate Backup USB 3.0 external drives.

$139.99 + $4.99 shipping.
»www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX43639

That's the best so far! I'm very excited that 4TB drives have finally come to the price they should have been about a year ago! So excited I used two exclamations in my previous two sentences.

Yeah, I am hoping this $140-$150 starts becoming the norm.
Western Digital is to release their new 5TB Red/Green models by the end of this year, so hopefully it helps drive the price of 3/4TB drives down even further.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to alexpb1
said by alexpb1:

In case anyone is interested, Memory Express has a one-day only deal on those 4TB Seagate Backup USB 3.0 external drives.

That's the best so far! I'm very excited that 4TB drives have finally come to the price they should have been about a year ago! So excited I used two exclamations in my previous two sentences.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
If memory serves, the Intel iGPU in Ivy Bridge processors is slightly faster than A GeForce 630. That might give you an idea about how low-end a 640 is, not that model numbers are directly related to performance.

Intel's next GPU, in Haswell, should be at least three times faster; it has 250% the execution units, an updated architecture, and up to 128MB of onboard VRAM. Yeah, they're starting to actually put video RAM on CPUs.

At this point, Intel has already rendered the ultra-low-end of the discrete graphics card market irrelevant (why buy a 610 when your iGPU will be substantially more powerful?), and the next generation is going to kick that up a notch... They've been so far behind that they're improving at a much faster pace than nVidia or AMD as they catch up.

This development in GPU power is particularly of note for "retina" displays, since the number one factor holding back performance in high-resolution notebooks is the graphics chip.
--

alexpb1

Barrie, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to franklyong
The GT640 is a low-end card. Even today the GTX260 is not.

franklyong
Cisco Geek

join:2004-12-05
Canada
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
reply to dirtyjeffer
Well I have a 1GB GT640, and the RAM just seems like a gimmick. Like it probably won't take advantage of all that memory before the GPU Core bottlenecks it.
It is approximately the same performance as my 9600GT I have.

In comparison the GTX560 is a much better card and only has 1GB :P.
--
Residence: WRT400N DD-WRT - pfSense P4 2.8GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
Home: Teksavvy Extreme Cable 28/1
WNDR3700 + RT-N13 DD-WRT

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

EVGA GeForce GT 640 4GB DDR3 - $105 at Futureshop

»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/···ce2den02

weird...my 896MB GTX 260 is massive compared to that thing...that card kind of looks like a low end card, but i guess with 4 GB of RAM on it...my card barely, and i mean barely, fit in my tower.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

Seagate 4 TB external USB drive $149 - Free shipping - Today ONLY....

In case anyone misses this tomorrow and wanted it, also the same price at NCIX until the 27th ($154 with free shipping vs. $149 + $5 shipping)

»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=78093···oid=1293

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to elwoodblues
Seagate 4 TB external USB drive $149 - Free shipping - Today ONLY....

»www.newegg.ca/Special/ShellShock···252013_1

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Hydraglass
said by Hydraglass:

Don't forget that the T1 line was introduced in 1961 with all of its 1.544 Mbps of digital glory - It wasn't until the 1970s that higher-level T-carriers (first the T2 at 6.3Mbps, then later the T3 at 44.7mbps) came along - then there was quite a bit of stagnation until the late 1980s when fiber started to become commonplace, and technology like SONET came along. Communication speeds seem to have gone in fits and starts, unlike computing technology that seems to follow a pretty stable growth curve the last 40 years.

My CEGEP (two/three year level college between highschool and university), for the entire 3 years I was there, relied on a bonded T1 (DS1C?) for a whopping 3 megabits of connectivity to serve classrooms, all computer labs, all residences, the school website, and online registration system. When I started out it was running on copper and shared with McGill's mcdonald campus. When I graduated, it had been upgraded to dedicated fiber, but still running just a bonded T1 (so about 3 megabit) over that fiber.

It was painfully, almost uselessly slow, and this was before YouTube... At one point I knew how much they were paying for it (I've since forgotten), and the price made no sense, for what they were paying I remember they could have gotten dedicated ethernet-speed fiber that would have been many times faster. Then again, they were operating the school's systems off a mainframe (yes, an actual mainframe) in a basement server room with a halon fire suppression system, and a bunch of developers that kept the source code to stuff on paper in binders. So you could say that even though it was the 2000s, the school's IT department was stuck in the 1970s despite having a budget big enough to fully modernize. No idea why.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and when we did pre-registration with the compsci dean, since professional degree people got to do that, the school's registration system, and this was like 2004, it was all a text-based terminal system.
--

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to elwoodblues
EVGA GeForce GT 640 4GB DDR3 - $105 at Futureshop

»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/···ce2den02

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

The Bell 103A at 300bps came out in the early 60's, but the popularity and robustness of the ASR33 and similar model Teletypes as timesharing terminals (as well as computer consoles) kept the 110-baud data rate in use for decades after that, even though higher speeds were possible.

Don't forget that the T1 line was introduced in 1961 with all of its 1.544 Mbps of digital glory - It wasn't until the 1970s that higher-level T-carriers (first the T2 at 6.3Mbps, then later the T3 at 44.7mbps) came along - then there was quite a bit of stagnation until the late 1980s when fiber started to become commonplace, and technology like SONET came along. Communication speeds seem to have gone in fits and starts, unlike computing technology that seems to follow a pretty stable growth curve the last 40 years.