Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to donoreo
»www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX44463
No PM opportunity, starting to think they are in cohoots LOL.

Prolly same manuf rebate to vendor, or price drop.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to TLS2000
The 4tb is a good deal, checked shopbot, most prices average $50-60 more.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Tiger Direct has 4TB for $149 after coupon right now.

They've also got 240GB Sandisk SSD drives for $149 after rebate.
--
Tom

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to elwoodblues
hm I did like 3 MIR for a PC I built for my father in-law I got everything no issue.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

I did a MIR once that impressively let you register online, then you could track when they received it and when the cheque had been sent. Wish I could remember what product that was for.

MSI outsources their MIR to a company that does that, and also pay the MIR in prepaid AMEX cards which, unlike the prepaid VISA cards you get with ASUS, are in CAD denomination and don't have the stupid monthly "processing fees" and other usage rules that reduce their value to nothing as you effectively cannot use them in Canada.

I think the third party is 4myrebates.com or something similar. Never had a problem with denied claims with them, although they do take a long time to come in. They offer you the option of taking $5 or $10 off the value to make them process it faster.

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
reply to Wolfie00
agree, I wont buy a product based on rebates
also wont buy a hd unless it has a min of 3yr warranty

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to donoreo
I've never had one rejected, however I've lost or forgotten so many that the actual sample I'm basing that on is very small. And this is mainly what they count on!

I did a MIR once that impressively let you register online, then you could track when they received it and when the cheque had been sent. Wish I could remember what product that was for.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Mail in rebates suck. They reject for anything.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to TOPDAWG
Tiger direct and rebates, bronx cheer for that..

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to elwoodblues
»www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···tId=4357

Seagate ST3000DM001 Barracuda 7200.14 Hard Drive - 3TB, SATA III (6Gb/s), 3.5", 7200RPM, 64MB

$129 comes with $30 MIR so $99.

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to elwoodblues
»www.canadacomputers.com/product_···d=042242

Seagate 3TB for $120, though 2 limit per person.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to Wolfie00
Yeah, I noticed that too. Very irritating.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Sold out online, you have to hit a store for it.

Brilliant website programming! The site lists a bunch of local stores where it's in stock, but because it's sold out online, nowhere does it tell you the freaking price!

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
reply to elwoodblues
Damn. There was one in my cart this morning lol

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

For those that didn't have a Costco card for Gone's post of last week's external Seagate 3TB USB 3.0 drive, TigerDirect has a 2 day sale here:
»www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···csid=_61

Sold out online, you have to hit a store for it.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to elwoodblues
For those that didn't have a Costco card for Gone's post of last week's external Seagate 3TB USB 3.0 drive, TigerDirect has a 2 day sale here:
»www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···csid=_61

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to BrianON
said by BrianON:

The data content of large writes doesn't go in the ZIL. Moving large files to ZFS does not fill the ZIL unless you do them in small pieces and fsync or equivalent often.

For small writes, the data is stored as a part of the log record. For writes greater than zfs_immediate_write_sz (64KB), the ZIL does not store a copy of the write, but rather syncs the write to disk and only a pointer to the sync-ed data is stored in the log record.
»blogs.oracle.com/realneel/entry/···tent_log

True, but who knows what kind of bizarre BS Samba is pulling. I hate it so much, it's super unreliable. But there's no other choice.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Guspaz
The data content of large writes doesn't go in the ZIL. Moving large files to ZFS does not fill the ZIL unless you do them in small pieces and fsync or equivalent often.

For small writes, the data is stored as a part of the log record. For writes greater than zfs_immediate_write_sz (64KB), the ZIL does not store a copy of the write, but rather syncs the write to disk and only a pointer to the sync-ed data is stored in the log record.
»blogs.oracle.com/realneel/entry/···tent_log

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
No more than it would destroy the SSD if it was the actual storage device that all writes were going to. The cache drives I've got in there are Intel 80GB G2 SSDs (there was a super duper cheap sale on them, they were like $30 or 40?), good for something like ~800TB of writes, so they should last a long time on a file server that doesn't have a lot of churn (it's storing media files and such, not a lot of deleting going on). And if it starts getting near the end of it's lifespan, I can always just remove the drive.
--

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to Guspaz
how are SSDs for your ZIL drive?

I thought it would destroy those pretty quickly..

My SSD for L2ARC doesn't seem to be as busy as I thought it was going to be originally..

the Best ZIL drive I can think of is that old Gigabyte PCI RAM drive card. it had 4 slots and could do up for 8 GBs of DDR2 ram.. i've heard some ppl pushed it to 4 x 4 GBs of DDR2 ram to get 16 GBs..

its still pretty fast compared to HDDs, and it seems like the perfect ZIL drive with unlimited writes, and an easy way to clear all bits.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
It's a mass storage file server with a big fat RAID array with a ton of RAM (24GB) and multiple SSD caches (one for ZIL, one for L2ARC), so there isn't any performance improvement from 7200RPM (might have slightly higher IOPS if the SSD caches don't get it, but the GigE port is the bottleneck). As a result, all that 7200RPM gets me is more noise and more power without any benefit.

I live in a 366 sqft one-room apartment, with that server maybe 15 feet from my bed with nothing in between to block the noise. So how loud the drives are is pretty important to me.

EDIT: I'm not sure 7200RPM drives actually have any real use anymore. SSDs have come way down in cost (Crucial has a 960GB model for $600 MSRP now), and 5400 RPM is better suited for mass storage (you don't care about performance if you're using HDDs instead of SSDs)
--

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

A lot of us have 5400 ~ 5900 RPM 'green' drives in our servers, mainly for cost or energy reasons (or both).

Don't forget noise concerns too...

5400RPM drives are usually much quieter and as I use my computer room as a broadcasting studio any extra noises picked up by the mic are unwanted

NefCanuck

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
reply to elwoodblues
A lot of us have 5400 ~ 5900 RPM 'green' drives in our servers, mainly for cost or energy reasons (or both).

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Guspaz
Why 5400 and not 7200?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
Buddy pointed out that BestBuy is selling 4TB Hitachi 5400RPM drives for $150 ($170 with $20 recycle rebate). I was tempted, since I need seven and only want the 5400RPM (NOT the 7200RPM), but they're a discontinued drive, so building a RAID array out of a disk you know will be impossible to replace individually isn't a great idea, even if ZFS is supposed to be fine with non-matching drives.
--

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to urbanriot
Yeah, I was up at Costco on Sunday and I usually take a look at all that stuff but decided to beeline to what I needed and got out quickly instead.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

That's a real good price, I'm tempted to drive up to St. Cats and pick up two.

Yea, now might be a good time if the exchange rate heads up... I saw 4TB for $129 and I thought that was a good deal too.

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to elwoodblues
I have a Seagate Backup Plus 3TB that gets lots of use. It's an excellent drive! Doesn't get anywhere near as warm as my 3TB Seagate Expansion.