uniqs
share rss forum feed

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to Guspaz

Re: Hard Drive Deals

Ordered the 60GB and 240GB 330 from Newegg. The 60GB will be used as an OS/boot drive for a desktop system, and the 240GB will be used as a dedicated drive in my Asus netbook. I often use that netbook in areas where a mechanical drive could be vulnerable to shocks.

$227 with taxes and delivery. I would have preferred lower, but SSD prices don't seem to want to drop any lower at this point.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elwoodblues

»sourcecdn.ncix.com/ncix-blackfriday-preview/

$69.99 Seagate 2TB Barracude 7200RPM

I'll be getting one that is for sure. Nice to see the ole 2TB price back again!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by creed3020:

»sourcecdn.ncix.com/ncix-blackfriday-preview/

$69.99 Seagate 2TB Barracude 7200RPM

I'll be getting one that is for sure. Nice to see the ole 2TB price back again!

* Very limited quantities available.... Good luck
--

creed3020
Premium
Kitchener, ON

True, but I'm not worried because I just noticed NewEgg.ca has the same deal:

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···22148834

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to HiVolt

TigerDirect has 3TB Seagates on for $89. In-store only though, which kind of screws up my plans

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to elwoodblues

8gbs (2x4gb) Kingstons DDR3 - $29.99 after instant savings...

»www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/···dara.com

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

TigerDirect has 3TB Seagates on for $89. In-store only though, which kind of screws up my plans

I might go in on my lunch and pick that up. How badly do you want one? Are you in Hamilton often? I could get one and hold onto it for you until you are up my way.
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON

I just realized, that's an internal, isn't it. Doesn't stop me from getting one for you, but I'm looking for external for myself.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

I actually want three of them.

Not in Hamilton often enough, unfortunately. If you were the other direction in Rochester I'd be there this weekend though, haha.

I'll wait to see if they have something online, even if it's $10 more for $99.99 it's still a deal.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

Sweet! I need 4 of those for my RAID solution.
--
Tom

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
reply to elwoodblues

Tried to grab one of those Intel 330 SSD at 6am this morning...sold out.

FaxCap

milnoc

H3B

Actually, I find 120 and 180 GB sizes rather awkward. I either need a little or a lot of storage depending if I'm using the drive in a dedicated appliance or as mass storage for very large files. I can never work with a size that's "in between."
--

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

Yeah DDR3 ram sales up the ying yang but what about us ole farts wanting DDR2 :-(

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by Anav:

Yeah DDR3 ram sales up the ying yang but what about us ole farts wanting DDR2 :-(

Damn rights! I need new beads on my abacus!!!

FaxCap

creed3020
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to Gone

Is that advertised online too? I cannot find any deal like that on their webpage.

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Still looking for a great quality SSD in the $60 range.

Any deals yet in that price range? It's all I can afford at the moment.

Greatly appreciated super thanks in advance! :P! !
--
»tinyurl.com/83jhmnc ---> Please comment! Switch from Rogers Prepaid to Wind Mobile?

»tinyurl.com/6pfywwp ---> Please comment! Rogers/Distributel Nightmare!

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON

said by GoRaptors:

Still looking for a great quality SSD in the $60 range.

Any deals yet in that price range? It's all I can afford at the moment.

Greatly appreciated super thanks in advance! :P! !

Tiger Direct appears to be selling the OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-120G Vertex 3 Solid State Drive - 120GB, 2.5", SATA III on Friday only for $49.99.

Not sure if those specs or brand match what you're looking for, but I just thought I'd pass it along. I don't think anyone has posted it yet.

[edit: there's no direct link. It came in an email flyer I received]
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues

OCZ would fail the first part of the "great quality SSD for under $60" requirement.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by Guspaz:

OCZ would fail the first part of the "great quality SSD for under $60" requirement.

"Great quality SSD for under $60" is a misnomer. Quality. Price. Performance. Pick two.

milnoc

H3B
reply to Guspaz

My next target are WD Red drives. I'll need 3 2TB models for three machines that run 24 hours. I'm hoping they'll drop a bit lower than $119.
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues

Not necessarily, you can get a great quality SSD for around $60. They just won't be very large. The smallest Intel 330 (60GB) goes for $65 in Canada, which isn't far off. But that's a bad deal considering the 240GB model is 4x the capacity at barely more than 2x the price.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

milnoc

H3B

Not much you can do about that. Smaller capacity drives have always been disproportionately more expensive per GB than their larger size counterparts, both SSD and mechanical.
--

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Canada Computers will have Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 on sale for $90 tomorrow, 5 per customer.

Also OCZ Agility 3 480GB for $260, ADATA SX900 256GB for $150 (54-58 cents per GB)

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 edit

said by Last Parade:

Canada Computers will have Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 on sale for $90 tomorrow, 5 per customer.

Picked up 2 in Oct, I may pick up more from CC, thx for the tip.
BUT
These just came off sale @ ncix on the last week of Oct for $128.99/ea GRRRRRR.

Also, is it true that for SSD drives, you can fill them to only 50% else you get performance issues?
--
~ Project Hope ~

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

said by EUS:

Also, is it true that for SSD drives, you can fill them to only 50% else you get performance issues?

no

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

Although the vertex 4s are from my limited research the first OCZ drives that are competitive with all the others in terms of performance. Their reliability is unknown.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Not necessarily, you can get a great quality SSD for around $60. They just won't be very large.

Performance and capacity, in this context, are interchangeable. $60 for a 60GB SSD is not cheap. Either way, you're only getting two of things I listed, not three.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Anav

said by Anav:

Although the vertex 4s are from my limited research the first OCZ drives that are competitive with all the others in terms of performance.

... what? Your research is defective. All of OCZ's SSDs have performed extremely well, but the controller plays the biggest role in performance and for that reason you'll typically find drives with the same controller and the same type of flash all performing the same. There are some obvious exceptions, such as Intel's Sandforce drives, but in those cases Intel has gone out of their way to rig the shit out of the controller's firmware and that typically doesn't happen with other companies that do Sandforce drives.

The difference with the Vertex 4 is that it uses an Indilinx controller and that company was purchased by OCZ a while back. For what it's worth, OCZ tried to buy Sandforce, to which Sandforce said no. There are many situations where the Vertex 4 can end up being slower than the Sandforce-based Vertex 3. Anyone running a current-gen Sandforce drive would be silly to "upgrade" to any of OCZ's Indilinx stuff.

FaxCap

Surrey, BC
reply to elwoodblues

"If" OCZ is still in business.

FaxCap

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to elwoodblues

can't believe I did this, but I just grabbed a 3TB Seagate from NCIX for $89.

Not a clue what these "points" are suppose to be good for.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/