Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues

Re: Hard Drive Deals

Not necessarily, you can get a great quality SSD for around $60. They just won't be very large. The smallest Intel 330 (60GB) goes for $65 in Canada, which isn't far off. But that's a bad deal considering the 240GB model is 4x the capacity at barely more than 2x the price.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
Not much you can do about that. Smaller capacity drives have always been disproportionately more expensive per GB than their larger size counterparts, both SSD and mechanical.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Canada Computers will have Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 on sale for $90 tomorrow, 5 per customer.

Also OCZ Agility 3 480GB for $260, ADATA SX900 256GB for $150 (54-58 cents per GB)

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada

1 edit
said by Last Parade:

Canada Computers will have Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 on sale for $90 tomorrow, 5 per customer.

Picked up 2 in Oct, I may pick up more from CC, thx for the tip.
BUT
These just came off sale @ ncix on the last week of Oct for $128.99/ea GRRRRRR.

Also, is it true that for SSD drives, you can fill them to only 50% else you get performance issues?
--
~ Project Hope ~

Last Parade

Port Colborne, ON
said by EUS:

Also, is it true that for SSD drives, you can fill them to only 50% else you get performance issues?

no

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Although the vertex 4s are from my limited research the first OCZ drives that are competitive with all the others in terms of performance. Their reliability is unknown.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Not necessarily, you can get a great quality SSD for around $60. They just won't be very large.

Performance and capacity, in this context, are interchangeable. $60 for a 60GB SSD is not cheap. Either way, you're only getting two of things I listed, not three.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Anav
said by Anav:

Although the vertex 4s are from my limited research the first OCZ drives that are competitive with all the others in terms of performance.

... what? Your research is defective. All of OCZ's SSDs have performed extremely well, but the controller plays the biggest role in performance and for that reason you'll typically find drives with the same controller and the same type of flash all performing the same. There are some obvious exceptions, such as Intel's Sandforce drives, but in those cases Intel has gone out of their way to rig the shit out of the controller's firmware and that typically doesn't happen with other companies that do Sandforce drives.

The difference with the Vertex 4 is that it uses an Indilinx controller and that company was purchased by OCZ a while back. For what it's worth, OCZ tried to buy Sandforce, to which Sandforce said no. There are many situations where the Vertex 4 can end up being slower than the Sandforce-based Vertex 3. Anyone running a current-gen Sandforce drive would be silly to "upgrade" to any of OCZ's Indilinx stuff.

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
reply to elwoodblues
"If" OCZ is still in business.

FaxCap

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to elwoodblues
can't believe I did this, but I just grabbed a 3TB Seagate from NCIX for $89.

Not a clue what these "points" are suppose to be good for.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

2 edits
Bastard.

Is there a limit?

I managed to get in. Limit of 1. Screw that, I want at least two.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

1 edit
What is the diff between intel 330 and intel 335 for practical purposes ( I read the nand spec diff). Newegg still has the 240 intel 330 going for $139 (thinking of grabbing another) and the Intell 335 240gb for $154. Not convinced its worth the xtra cash.

yeah and why did you only buy 1 3TB at that price LOL.
$99 at Direct canada with free shipping.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to elwoodblues
NCIX Black Friday Sale. Lots of goodies.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Anav
said by Anav:

$99 at Direct canada with free shipping.

Yup, trying to get in there as I type this.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
It's going up and down, but I was able to grab 2 more from there.
What am I doing?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Things seem to be better now.

Snagged two from Direct Canada. I'm done for the evening.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Devanchya
I just price matched a 3TB with Memory Express brought it down a bit. $82.48 plus shipping of 4.99 plus taxes comes to $94.85 if they can price match hard to get into ncix site. I use the link DKS which gets me right in quick.

Can someone answer the above intel question the 330 is still avail for $139 and the 335 for $156, wondering if the diff in cost is worth it. (both 240gbs).

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by Anav:

Can someone answer the above intel question the 330 is still avail for $139 and the 335 for $156, wondering if the diff in cost is worth it. (both 240gbs).

said by »www.storagereview.com/intel_ssd_ ··· s_review :
The Intel SSD 335 Series is a progressive update of the SSD 330, which was released in April of this year. Aside from minor software changes, the only major iterative difference with the SSD 335 is the NAND. Where the SSD 330 used 25nm MLC NAND, the SSD 335 takes advantage of a die shrink, thus using Intel's 20nm MLC NAND. All other hardware components remain the same, including the SandForce SF-2281 controller and SATA 6Gb/s interface.
If it comes down to price, get whatever is cheaper.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Thanks gone, Im now thinking of using the hard drives currently in the mac book pros in the optical drive slot and putting the intel 330 ssd where the hard drive is in now. Is that the right approach (vice placing the intell 330 in the optical drive slot). BIt more work but probably better results?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues
B&H is selling the Hitachi 4TB drives for $189:

»www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ··· RNL.html

Newegg lists the regular price as $399
--

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B

1 edit
"Who the heck needs 4 TB of storage space?"

(six months later)

"I'M RUNNING OUT OF SPACE! AGAIN!!!"

BTW, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, $69 at Newegg.ca. Limit 3 per customer. »www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ··· 22148834
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Last Parade

Port Colborne, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Just passed by the Scarborough Canada Computers and there's a modest line out front.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
There's over 100 people lined up at the Mississauga location. I went to Tigerdirect instead and got an Intel 330 256gb drive for $159-30mir.
--
Tom

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Any good SSD deals for $50 to $60? All I can afford at the moment!

Came across this at newegg:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 20171667

Thanks in advance! Super appreciated! :P! !
--
»tinyurl.com/83jhmnc ---> Please comment! Switch from Rogers Prepaid to Wind Mobile?

»tinyurl.com/6pfywwp ---> Please comment! Rogers/Distributel Nightmare!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
said by GoRaptors:

Any good SSD deals for $50 to $60? All I can afford at the moment!

Came across this at newegg:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 20171667

Thanks in advance! Super appreciated! :P! !

That's just not worth it. And keep in mind that isn't an SSD, it's a caching solution. If you try to treat it like an SSD, that is three times the cost per gig of the Intel drives. If you can't afford something larger now, you should just save up until you can afford more. These things go on sale on days other than just black friday!

Example: spend $50 for 32GB today, or $90 for 180GB a month from now!
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Those cache drives are actually 64GB or 128GB physical drives with 100% overprivisioning due to the constant writes that occur. This is why they are pricey for their size.

Now, having said that, if it uses Dataplex (which it most likely does) it will work quite well as a cache drive and give SSD-like performance out of a magnetic disk.

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
I can wait until boxing day I suppose.

But again if you guys see a good deal for $60 let me know asap please! xD! ! Greatly appreciated & Super thanks in advance! :P! !

I don't know about these things at all so relying on others knowledge!
--
»tinyurl.com/83jhmnc ---> Please comment! Switch from Rogers Prepaid to Wind Mobile?

»tinyurl.com/6pfywwp ---> Please comment! Rogers/Distributel Nightmare!

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
reply to elwoodblues
3 TB Seagate drives on for $89.99 at Memory Express over the Black Friday weekend. Picked up 2 of them

»www.memoryexpress.com/Products/M ··· /MX36849

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to elwoodblues
How did you pick2 of them up. they are limited to one per customer?
Out of stock now anyway.

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
I asked the guy behind the desk nicely if he would sell me 2 and he did.

Saved me from having to go back today.