Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to elwoodblues

Re: Hard Drive Deals

said by elwoodblues:

Give it 6 months, it should drop below 200 which is IMO reasonable.

That would be reasonable, yeah.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to Guspaz
quantum computing and quantum storage.......

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
said by Anav:

quantum computing and quantum storage.......

Would be solid-state, and fall into the "SSDs based on NAND or something else". Even NAND flash is on the road to being replaced in the not-to-distant future.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to elwoodblues
Was going to post this in the Dell thread but might be better here. After reading a bunch of reviews I think I'll pass on the WD MyBook -- good price today @99.99 but too many bad reviews. Despite my dislike of Seagate in general, I've had good luck so far with their externals and might just get another. Or do a DIY with an eSATA enclosure and a WD Black. Plus, someone upthread was commenting on the unreliability of WD Greens.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to Anav
said by Anav:

... quantum storage.......

The 1 Yottabyte quantum storage device: 8 billion quadrillion bits in a device the size of a postage stamp, and due to quantum uncertainty you can't really tell the 1's from the 0's.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Wolfie00
Instead of constantly buying enclosures and having to mount the drive/plug it in. Look at a Thermaltake Dock solution . USB2, Esata, USB3

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
said by elwoodblues:

Instead of constantly buying enclosures and having to mount the drive/plug it in. Look at a Thermaltake Dock solution . USB2, Esata, USB3

I have one of those, though it's an older one with only USB 2.0. They are very useful for certain applications, like backups that will never be used except in an emergency, or moving data between computers. But I find that in practice most of my externals end up married for some long period of time to one computer or another, and when you get them on sale they're as cheap as internal drives.

BTW, looking back at my complaint about the OCZ SSD, it's now been 10 days since the firmware upgrade, and still have not had a problem. Thanks, Gone See Profile, especially since I had given it up as a lost cause!
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
Wendell Berry

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
So no Deals on Intel 330 60GB SSDs? /sad panda!

Also bump for boxing day deals! Come on peeps!

Get posting those crazy cool killer deals! Go! Go! Go! :P! !

Cheers! Happy/merry xmas/festivus/kwanza/hannukah/hoho! :P! !
--
»tinyurl.com/83jhmnc ---> Please comment! Switch from Rogers Prepaid to Wind Mobile?

»tinyurl.com/6pfywwp ---> Please comment! Rogers/Distributel Nightmare!

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Anyone lining up at Canada Computers? 3TB Seagate hard drive is 79.99 first 10 customers.

»www.canadacomputers.com/BoxingDay2012/

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

I have one of those, though it's an older one with only USB 2.0.

I have a couple of those myself, a one slice toaster at home, and a two slicer at work. Extremely useful when doing backups and hard drive upgrades.

GoRaptors, you're in luck! »www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···20167120 $65 was the price I paid during the Black November specials. Unfortunately, the 240 GB model isn't on special. Wait for the price to drop to $139 if you want it.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

GoRaptors

London, ON
Will that SSD work with a asus M4A89GTD-Pro mobo?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by GoRaptors:

Will that SSD work with a asus M4A89GTD-Pro mobo?

Any SSD will work, according to the spec your mobo supports SATA 3gbps or 6gbps.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
Yes, in theory. After having that glitch with the OCZ Vertex 3 I was looking through the firmware change logs and there is a history of various issues with various chipsets that were resolved over time with successive firmware upgrades. So while any given SSD **should** work anywhere that a normal SATA drive would and **probably** will, there are always exceptions. It's strange because you'd think that SATA would be a very rigourously defined interface.

I'm happy to say that the OCZ firmware upgrade I did some weeks ago definitely fixed the problem, as there have been no further system glitches.

GoRaptors

London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
So is that/this a good SSD then or?

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···20167120

Should I buy it? My plan is to perhaps put my OS Windows 7 64 bit

on it & DDO(Dungeons & Dragons Online) MMORPG that I play a LOT.
--
»tinyurl.com/83jhmnc ---> Please comment! Switch from Rogers Prepaid to Wind Mobile?

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

It's strange because you'd think that SATA would be a very rigourously defined interface.

I'm happy to say that the OCZ firmware upgrade I did some weeks ago definitely fixed the problem, as there have been no further system glitches.

You've answered your own question. The problem isn't the SATA interface, it's the firmware.

That's why many of us prefer Intel SSDs over any other brand. They're extremely reliable out of the box, and the firmwares rarely need any updates at all. I've got two Intel SSDs installed in an Atom based netbook and an older Shuttle SG33G5 box, and both systems are working perfectly.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
No, that's not really an answer. The SATA interface is, after all, the only point of interaction between the drive and the rest of the system -- by definition of what an "interface" is. So either there are ambiguities in the spec, or some companies don't implement it as robustly as others. The solid specification and implementation of interfaces is fundamentally why any doofus can assemble his own computer and most of the time it will work just fine.

GoRaptors

London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
So any other thoughts on:

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···20167120

Should I pull the trigger? What is newegg's return policy on SSD's?

Mucho thanks in advance! :P! ! xD!

EDITED TO ADD: Ah I c it is on the bottom there! Doh!
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Might want to keep an eye on NCIX. They seem to be refreshing their Boxing Day Sale with some good bargains. A 3770K for $309 and an Corsair HX820 power supply for $$125 are two. Lots of hard drives, both SSD and regular, too.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to elwoodblues
Cool got a 300TB drive from Canada computers for 99 hell I'm lining up in the morning to save 20 bucks. Just drove the 10 mins from where I am staying walked in waited like 5 mins picked one up.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by TOPDAWG:

Cool got a 300TB drive from Canada computers for 99 hell I'm lining up in the morning to save 20 bucks. Just drove the 10 mins from where I am staying walked in waited like 5 mins picked one up.

300TB?

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

What make (Seagate, WD, Hitachi,...)?

Dones

Toronto, ON
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

LOL 300TB. I got the 3TB for 79.99. Don't think it's worth waiting 2 hours in the cold. Can't feel my toes.

Dones

Toronto, ON
reply to vue666
seagate barracuda

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to elwoodblues
Man the SSD deals this time around (compared to bf cm) sucketh.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

are you posting from the year 2076

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by Last Parade:

said by TOPDAWG:

Obviously. Drives are larger, cheaper, and language has evolved to new levels of efficiency.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
said by urbanriot:

said by Last Parade:

said by TOPDAWG:

Obviously. Drives are larger, cheaper, and language has evolved to new levels of efficiency.

either that or UBB is now like $1/byte

GoRaptors

London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Where's the deals? I'm not seeing them!

»ncix.ca/products/index.php?minor···tid=1316

Budget/price range $70-$75! No 3.5" 120GB Intels in that range?
--

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
You got that right...... The 180 500 series for $159 is not bad but I was paying that for the 240 330 series and the 180 330 series was in the 109 range. I even picked up a 120 vertex 3 for $49.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Dones
oops my bad. So those drives i was reading it's not a good access drive in other words you don't want it running all day. I'm going to use it for storing all my movies and TV in a media PC as just a storage drive and not the OS drive I take it thing should be ok for those needs.

My media PC runs pretty much all day.