spc
Search similar:

uniqs
thorhtpc
join:2012-05-10
Redondo Beach, CA

thorhtpc

[DVR] Set Top Box price increase

I was just on the Verizon site looking to add another DVR and there was a notice that the price of STBs would be increasing by $2 on July 15th. Didn't they just increase the price $1 a couple of months ago? This is getting expensive.

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

screenshot?

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to thorhtpc

Premium Member

to thorhtpc
I haven't seen that yet, i'll check it out on my acct.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

I never got the letter in the mail of the increased prices. I am still paying the same 15.99 for my DVR's since I got Fios in June of last year.
thorhtpc
join:2012-05-10
Redondo Beach, CA

thorhtpc to Onedollar

to Onedollar
Click for full size
Here's a screenshot
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc
Where are you located?
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc
This was discussed a couple of times prior to the dslreports crash. I actually received an email about it way back at the beginning of March.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc
That is a very confusing price change as I live in Jersey and received a letter in the mail saying my stbs would increase $1 from $5.99 to $6.99. Reading what you posted seems to imply its a $2 increase...

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

It seems we'll get a $3 total increase.

I remember the days when we didn't need these boxes and got all of out channels FREE from an antenna
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by WK2:

It seems we'll get a $3 total increase.

I remember the days when we didn't need these boxes and got all of out channels FREE from an antenna

What's stopping you from doing that now? Granted you would get about 400 less channels, but, OTA is still free.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

In this day in age, I couldn't do it b/c of all the sports channels, etc.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by WK2:

In this day in age, I couldn't do it b/c of all the sports channels, etc.

But you didn't get the sports channels "back in the day" either, you can get the same broadcast channels for free now what you could get for free then.
bushleaguer
join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc
I don't know if they still do this, but back when I got Directv after years of having cable they sold you the boxes upfront which, if I was going to keep the service for a good long while, seemed to make more sense than renting the box for a few years.
After having cable tv for years I looked at the bill one month and wondered "at what point will I have paid for this box in full and the company will be making a profit off of these rentals?"
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

DirecTV no longer sells their boxes - they haven't for some time. Oh, you can get them to sell them to you, if you're willing to pay full price for them (e.g. if you're willing to shell out $800 for a DVR). In reality, at the end of the day, it all kind of evens out anyway. The DBS companies give you a discount on the up-front cost of the boxes by signing a contract. Cable companies tend to charge you the full lease fee every month for the hardware, but give you reductions in the cost of service if you sign a contract.

Which is better? At the end of the day, it probably all works out in the wash. I didn't like the fact, though, that with DirecTV replacing my hardware meant that I was signing a new contract. Besides, with the cable model, if I want to continue getting a discount, I just renew my service contract. I can't do that with DirecTV.

Onedollar
Pomona, CA

Onedollar to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc
said by thorhtpc:

Here's a screenshot

Thanks i just checked and see the same thing..... Centon here i come

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to kes601

Premium Member

to kes601
True, but I watch alot more out of market games now that I cannot get over Antenna.

Tarheel72
join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX

Tarheel72 to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc
OK help me out on this. When I got my MRDVR last summer I remember that the more STB's you added the deeper the discount. I currently have a MRDVR and 5 HD STB's and pay $47.99 total for all of my equipment. With the price increase I was thinking about returning one of the HD STB's and replacing it with a spare digital adaptor that I have, to save some money. So I got to wondering what the new cost would be since I would have five total STB's instead of 6 and therefore my discount would change. I asked the question online and also called the store. Both told me the same thing - that there was no discount based on number of boxes and that I would be charged $9.99 less for each box I returned. Of course this makes no sense but they all acted like I was crazy. I even tried to do a return of equipment online and when I did it showed NO CHANGE in my monthly equipment charges.

So what gives here? Anyone else on a plan like mine ever returned equipment and if so how much of a difference did it make to your bill? Have they changed the plan and now you get no decrease in your equipment charges until you reach a total below what you are currently paying? In my case that would mean I would have to return three STB"s before I would get any decrease in charges.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

I have never returned one. But I have 3 STBs and a MRDVR.
If I remember right, my discount is about $10.
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

1 edit

tennisman94 to Onedollar

to Onedollar
said by Onedollar:

Ditto on the Ceton, I'm just waiting on the Q and echos. With any luck it'll be a whole home TV/Netflix/Bluray solution (even if the last bit takes a little massaging)

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium Member
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

1 edit

rtcy to Onedollar

Premium Member

to Onedollar
said by Onedollar:

said by thorhtpc:

Here's a screenshot

read before you buy, I did , it's still too problematic and the USB box seems worse than the internal card. I went with the Silicon HDhomerun 6 tuner. works great, every computer in the house can records it's own channels in it's harddrive, most computers can record one or 2 streams with no hesitation. you do need a gigabit switch and gigabit cards in your computers. working great here.

all recordings default to C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV
to playback just go there and double click the recording you want.

I love the HD quickTV app to watch tv, all the channels are showing on the right side vertically and disapper when you select a channel, for all heavy things like recording shows or series you use Windows Media Center.

as soon as I get some spending cash will put together a new computer with a few cores like the new Bulldozer chips so I can set ONE box to record up to 6 channels at once and be able to do it smoothly. all my current machines are OLD dells with P4's and they work ok with 2 channels at once, have not tried more than that, no time lately to play with it
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc
I use the 3 channel SliconDust PrimeHD CC reader.
»WMC, Cable Card and Tuning Adapter - How hard with FIOS?
Expand your moderator at work
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc

Re: [DVR] Set Top Box price increase

My DVR price has been $12.99 since I signed up with FiOS more than four years ago (I thought it was granfathered in). I just received my bill and it's now $16.99 but I never got a letter, bill insert or email saying there was a price increase.

I've seen other folks report that they got emails but no one in Massachusetts that I can recall. Did anyone in Mass get the notice about DVR price increase?

The CSRs were (two of them) were VERY nasty and claims they sent me a letter but how do you prove you did not receive one?

Really poor customer service!!

Photoflash
@verizon.net

Photoflash

Anon

Yep... I'm in the Boston area and got the letter quite a while ago.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc
I live in Jersey and my May bill shows my stb's went up $1/piece to $6.99.
rac43
join:2011-09-16
Flower Mound, TX

rac43 to DGGSLF

to DGGSLF
Just received my bill for July and Verizon raised my price $4 each for 2 DVR box's. Was $12.99, now $16.99. No notice of price increase, nothing in the bill explaining the higher price ( in Texas) . Way to go Verizon, lets just put it to the customers again.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

How did you get a July bill in May? Not saying your price didn't go up, but the month certainly is off....

DVR prices were set to go up this month, looks like other prices (MRDVR, STB, and Digital Adapter) are set for July.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to thorhtpc

Premium Member

to thorhtpc
What it says on my "change equipment" page:

"Beginning July 15, 2012, the monthly rate for FiOS set top boxes, digital adapters, set top boxes in equipment packages and Multi-Room DVRs in equipment packages will increase approximately $2.00 per box. In NY/N-NJ/CT, only the monthly rate for digital adapters and set top boxes in equipment packages will increase approximately $2.00 per box."

What I have now:

Equipment

Multi Room DVR package $43.99
Set Top Box (5) Included
Multi-Room DVR (1) Included

So, in plain English, the monthly equipment price will increase by $12 to $55.99? That's an annual increase of $144 (plus tax?). What are they smoking?

Onedollar
Pomona, CA

Onedollar to thorhtpc

to thorhtpc
Want to clear up some confusion. The $2 price up does not affect DVR. It stays at 16.99
rac43
join:2011-09-16
Flower Mound, TX

rac43

I meant to say my June bill, not July in my above post