Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude

Re: [Business] ARP Packets from Comcast are Flooding My LOCAL Ne

said by whfsdude:

It should not cause any change in your WAN bandwidth as that ARP traffic always reaches your CM.

If you had the modem in bridge mode, your router would always see it.

If you know a way that the customer can put an SMCD3G-CCR into bridge mode, you would probably gain a few new friends in this forum if you shared your knowledge.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

If you know a way that the customer can put an SMCD3G-CCR into bridge mode, you would probably gain a few new friends in this forum if you shared your knowledge.

No I don't sadly. I however know some users in meatspace with SB6120's in on business class service.

My point was though that the ARP traffic is totally normal for cable modems so it wouldn't change your WAN speeds.

However, generally people don't use proxy arp for their LANs. I'd argue it's a minor security issue in fact. But it will not effect speeds.
noisefloor
join:2010-05-09

noisefloor to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by whfsdude:

It should not cause any change in your WAN bandwidth as that ARP traffic always reaches your CM.

If you had the modem in bridge mode, your router would always see it.

If you can talk someone in support into running a telnet session into your D3G the command is > ven RG 0 (1 enables gateway)
In the D3g you need to be in cable mode (default), 8014 would be main mode.

My D3G is running happy in bridge mode