Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to J E F F

Re: [Rant] Ipods are Garbage

said by J E F F:

Apple allows all iDevices to be used as disk mode. You simply check Enabled Disk Usage, or something like that, the first time you plug it in. This is needed for our Linux users.

I don't think that is true for iPod Touch devices.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to r81984

I like my ipod. I can't stand itunes. A while ago they had us change our account info to their apple password stuff and it screwed all kinds of things up. Half the time when I go to buy something it asks for the password but still gives the old account name. And no matter which password I use, it will say it is the wrong one. And now half of our ipod/pad stuff seems to be running on one or the other account but it doesn't seem to have merged. Then when you call apple to ask for help, they are very unhelpful in my experiences.

I would try an android based flavor of itunes but, man, I don't wanna have to buy all the stuff over again.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

jwhorfin
Premium
join:2000-10-22
Here
reply to r81984

No need to fret...It's called yamipod for Christ sakes.
--
" Laugh while you can ... monkey boy "

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to r81984

Tried to help boss install Shuffle at work. Had to install the POS. QuickTime. Took me all day to reassign sound files. We had professional sound editing and QuickTime grabbed all the files. It also got graphics files which had to be put back in Photoshop.

Never again.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

It asks if you want to associate various media files with QT/iTunes. Sorry, try again...

carpetshark3
Premium
Idledale, CO

No, it didn't.ask This was a few years ago. On a Windows PC.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

Why cant they make products that are simple and just work???

Isn't that what the fanbois always say? "it just works"

yeah it works after you infect your system with itunes and quicktime.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to carpetshark3

said by carpetshark3:

Tried to help boss install Shuffle at work. Had to install the POS. QuickTime. Took me all day to reassign sound files. We had professional sound editing and QuickTime grabbed all the files. It also got graphics files which had to be put back in Photoshop.

Never again.

now you know why i'm so vocal about the QT virus.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to r81984

In a related note, for those of you who have ipads, do you all have certain sites that the browser will just close after trying to open them? At least half the time if I try to go to nfl.com, the browser just closes. Might take a few tries but it will eventually open. What's up with that?
--

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to r81984

I was just told I won an Ipad from a raffle at the oil conference in houston. I did not get it yet.
Then my coworker tells me that ipads dont work with flash so you cant go to any site that supports flash. Wow, another failure of apple.
I do find it ironic that I post a topic about how apple sucks and I find I won an ipad.

I really hope someone gets windows 8 to install on the ipad or I will just end up selling it.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Your "failure" was an intentional choice by Apple - not to allow a buggy resource-hungry battery-sucking security disaster on their platform.

»www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Adobe agrees

»blogs.computerworld.com/18922/ad···d_iphone

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

I dont see flash as resources hungry on my pc.
I dont see why many people use it for their websites when there are alternatives.
But, sites do use it and apple was not smart enough to figure out that people would want to visit those sites.

Anyways, I guess that flash server is not out yet so you still cant go to flash sites?
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by r81984:

iPAD != PC. iPAD RAM = 1GB. iPAD CPU = ARM. iPAD battery = smaller.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

I was just told I won an Ipad from a raffle at the oil conference in houston. I did not get it yet.
Then my coworker tells me that ipads dont work with flash so you cant go to any site that supports flash. Wow, another failure of apple.
I do find it ironic that I post a topic about how apple sucks and I find I won an ipad.

I really hope someone gets windows 8 to install on the ipad or I will just end up selling it.

With flash, apple couldn't lock devices down to only their store.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX

That makes sense as they want u to use itunes.
--

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to dave

said by dave:

said by r81984:

iPAD != PC. iPAD RAM = 1GB. iPAD CPU = ARM. iPAD battery = smaller.

I have used flash just fine on less powerful computers.
--

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
reply to r81984

I got a iPod 3G (old one, released in 2003) for free once. I used a Winamp plugin. It had a disk mode but still you can't simply copy the files, and Apple has gone to lengths in newer models to prevent/hinder 3rd parties from releasing similar software to manage music on iPods. I would never actually support Apple with my own money.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

dave See Profile already posted it, but it is Flash that failed, not Apple's line of devices.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

said by Hall:

said by r81984:

dave See Profile already posted it, but it is Flash that failed, not Apple's line of devices.

I dont see how adobe failed.
But what dvd536 See Profile said makes the most sense.
said by dvd536 :
With flash, apple couldn't lock devices down to only their store.
--

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1
reply to r81984

Flash works fine on my Android phone (Nexus S)... yes, maybe it does drain battery faster, but flash is not always on anyway. When I need it, it's there, it works, and it's good enough for me.

carpetshark3
Premium
Idledale, CO

I think Apple doesn't use flash since it lost exclusivity in Desktop Publishing, ETC.

Photoshop used to be Apple only, so did Macromedia Freehand and Dreamweaver. I had one of the first Freehand programs for Windows.

As more programs cross-platformed, I think Apple decided to sulk. It's only hurting itself now.

Expand your moderator at work

mattrixx

join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL
reply to r81984

Re: [Rant] Ipods are Garbage

I have a 4GB Sandisk Sansa Fuze I bought refurbished 3yrs. ago for $30 that still is going strong! This I-Pod sized .mp3/mp4, FM radio, and audio recorder device also has a mini SD slot for additional memory (I have 6MB total available).

No proprietary BS here! Plug it in and it appears as a USB drive whether in Windows or Linux (UBUNTU/MINT). Drag and Drop non proprietary (I-tunes) music, pictures, .mp4 Video selections from your computer as you would any flash drive. Delete, organize etc.
Yeah, you can choose to use Sandisk`s downloadable FREE software to manage things,
but this is NOT necessary except for Firmware updates and the like.

My only complaint with my player is there are NO 3rd. party add on accessory devices available out there, like for instance a clock radio/charger! All you see are a myriad abundance of various size I-Pod accessories.

chipper

join:2012-05-28
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to r81984

i am a runner and iPod is my personal trainer. I am programmer and it's my USB. I love music and it's my music players.

I have had the same iPod for five years. still going strong. our relationship is stronger than all the women i've been with

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1

said by chipper:

I have had the same iPod for five years.

Don't get a new one.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to r81984

There's no one that thinks iTunes ISN'T a steaming pile. It's really unfortunate that Apple hasn't redone it yet. I expect that with Jobs out of the picture, it's coming sooner rather than later.

I will say that in a single-user, single-computer situation without special considerations, the iPhone/iPad/iPod works wonderfully well.

The issues always come up when trying to do something that the device and its accompanying software is not designed to do.

And I'm going to be completely frank here - I prefer having iTunes load music on the device than doing it the old-style way with drag-and-drop to the disk. I'd prefer having a better, less buggy version of iTunes, but have no qualms about it as a media management product.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
reply to r81984

Question: If you buy non-itunes songs for your non-apple players, are there limits on how many devices you can put that song on? Doesn't itunes only allow like 5 devices?
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to drew

said by drew:

There's no one that thinks iTunes ISN'T a steaming pile.

I think many agree and it comes down to a) lack of alternative options and b) you can get used to it (with an open-mind ).

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Voxxjin

There is no longer any DRM on the music downloaded from the iTunes Store.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by drew:

There is no longer any DRM on the music downloaded from the iTunes Store.

Wasn't aware they stopped using this. Thanks.
--