uniqs
share rss forum feed

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to BigBlarg

Re: [Rant] Ipods are Garbage

I think Apple doesn't use flash since it lost exclusivity in Desktop Publishing, ETC.

Photoshop used to be Apple only, so did Macromedia Freehand and Dreamweaver. I had one of the first Freehand programs for Windows.

As more programs cross-platformed, I think Apple decided to sulk. It's only hurting itself now.

Expand your moderator at work

mattrixx

join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL
reply to r81984

I have a 4GB Sandisk Sansa Fuze I bought refurbished 3yrs. ago for $30 that still is going strong! This I-Pod sized .mp3/mp4, FM radio, and audio recorder device also has a mini SD slot for additional memory (I have 6MB total available).

No proprietary BS here! Plug it in and it appears as a USB drive whether in Windows or Linux (UBUNTU/MINT). Drag and Drop non proprietary (I-tunes) music, pictures, .mp4 Video selections from your computer as you would any flash drive. Delete, organize etc.
Yeah, you can choose to use Sandisk`s downloadable FREE software to manage things,
but this is NOT necessary except for Firmware updates and the like.

My only complaint with my player is there are NO 3rd. party add on accessory devices available out there, like for instance a clock radio/charger! All you see are a myriad abundance of various size I-Pod accessories.

chipper

join:2012-05-28
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to r81984

i am a runner and iPod is my personal trainer. I am programmer and it's my USB. I love music and it's my music players.

I have had the same iPod for five years. still going strong. our relationship is stronger than all the women i've been with

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1

said by chipper:

I have had the same iPod for five years.

Don't get a new one.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to r81984

There's no one that thinks iTunes ISN'T a steaming pile. It's really unfortunate that Apple hasn't redone it yet. I expect that with Jobs out of the picture, it's coming sooner rather than later.

I will say that in a single-user, single-computer situation without special considerations, the iPhone/iPad/iPod works wonderfully well.

The issues always come up when trying to do something that the device and its accompanying software is not designed to do.

And I'm going to be completely frank here - I prefer having iTunes load music on the device than doing it the old-style way with drag-and-drop to the disk. I'd prefer having a better, less buggy version of iTunes, but have no qualms about it as a media management product.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
reply to r81984

Question: If you buy non-itunes songs for your non-apple players, are there limits on how many devices you can put that song on? Doesn't itunes only allow like 5 devices?
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to drew

said by drew:

There's no one that thinks iTunes ISN'T a steaming pile.

I think many agree and it comes down to a) lack of alternative options and b) you can get used to it (with an open-mind ).

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to Voxxjin

There is no longer any DRM on the music downloaded from the iTunes Store.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by drew:

Wasn't aware they stopped using this. Thanks.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to drew

said by drew:

The songs are still in AAC (??) format though and many players can't read that. They include a "Convert to MP3" option now though so those AACs can be switched over and now are much more universal.

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to drew

said by drew:

I prefer having iTunes load music on the device than doing it the old-style way with drag-and-drop to the disk. I'd prefer having a better, less buggy version of iTunes, but have no qualms about it as a media management product.

I agree. I also prefer loading my songs using a software (in my case it's Winamp with my Android device) It seems easier to manage and it's also easier to load/modify playlists.

I guess if they fixed iTunes it would be better.

They would also need to "unlock" their newest devices so they people could chose to use iTunes, any other software, or drag and drop.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
reply to r81984

I have all music on a NAS drive.
I have a couple devices that play music via 'file system', so for those devices, I can just browse to the music drive and drag/drop the music I want onto the device.
for example, a fairly basic MP3 player, or a USB key I can then stick into my car stereo unit.
I like that - easy and 'just plays'.

I also have iTunes on a couple computers pointed to that NAS drive as the library. So if I want to 'sync' my Touch (rev1), I fire up iTunes and add/remove that way, or want to sync the wife's older Shuffle, same thing.
It's kinda annoying, but is a good way to manage everything.

If I want to rip a CD to the library, I generally use iTunes since it's given me decent results, and then it's auto-added to the library. I just ensure the rip goes to the NAS drive.

I DO NOT let iTunes 'manage' the library. Tried that once. Not an organization I cared for, at all.

I have a first gen Apple TV. Kinda sucks cause it pretty much requires connection to iTunes running on another computer. But, I do that - I have a Mac Mini running iTunes, pointed to the music (and movie) NAS drive, always on. Apple TV can then pull all those media files to the TV.

SO overall, iTunes works well for what I need it for...BUT I am VERY glad for my more common uses, I have devices that just do simple file-reads too.

(was that too long?

--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

said by KoolMoe:

I DO NOT let iTunes 'manage' the library. Tried that once. Not an organization I cared for, at all.

Artist > Album > Song

Yep, it's rough.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

ironwalker
World Renowned
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ
reply to r81984

I love my first gen 40g ipod. I never used itunes, 'cept once to load an mp3 to get the db file needed then used other apps that need not be installed, just an exe from the ipod and it works just like a usb drive, drag n drop's just fine.
Wife's new ipod does samething as well as the videos, photos, etc etc all working fine for drag n drop..
Google is your friend, time and Patience may not be on ones side though and I do understand that.
--
Live Free or Die!
Siduction (Kanotix>Sidux>Apotsid>Forked to siduction) »siduction.org/
»www.chronixradio.com

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO
reply to r81984

I never understand the ipod/iphone/ipad rants. who cares if you don't like the idevices and/or itunes!

there are dozens of MP3 players and smartphones that have the functionality you need. do you also like to complain about how compact sedans don't have large truck beds or how water just doesn't have any flavor?
--
Everyone should own a Mac! Go Bucks!

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to ironwalker

FYI, this works on all spinning hard drive based iPods only.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

4 edits
reply to r81984

I finally got my free Ipod 3 from a vendor from the Oil and Technology Conference. I won their raffle.
Ipad 3 w/ 16GB
It sells for $500.
I am going to try an see if it can be used for work in a more productive way or to at least eliminate paper spreadsheets.

I was at work and I try to turn it on and it is useless without an internet connection or itunes. Itunes does not install on XP 64 bit.
Luckily I have Virtual Box for older dos/32 only programs, so I installed Itunes there and set it up. It is no different than any other tablet except for the itunes crutch.

After I went home. I spend about an hour doing all of this:
I jail broke it. Installed iWork, notes plus, tomtom GPS, exchange email, citrix client.
I have to find a touch screen optimized program for SAP, but I can use it through citrix.

I got access for it on my company's wifi/VPN (Full coverage in our offices and shops).
We shall see if it can be used for business.
I already have a bluetooth mini keyboard/touch mouse that I can use with it, if needed.
I will try to have it linked lived to our production schedules.

First thought I dont think a touch screen will be as easy or productive as a keyboard an mouse for most tasks, so the increase productivity will be only in being able to easily take it with you and doing work slower, but away from your desk on the fly.

Also I will have to see how compatible iWork is with office and to see if a touch screen can still be easy to insert pictures into work documents and tables and then format everything.
Also I hope it can link directly to windows directory shares for storage, I have not tried yet.
I guess I can always just to use it just to remote desktop.

I will say as soon as I can install windows on this I will.
Hopefully windows 8 arm can be installed after it is fully released.

Also I guess as long as I avoid using itunes for anything I will never have problems I had with ipods.
I still find it funny I think Apple sucks and I got a free Ipad.

Also, Apple is pathetic. Everything is stamped with "Designed in California" Made in China lol.
For what they charge for these devices they should be making them with US labor.
If we wanted China labor we could buy any other tablet with the same or better specs for half the price.

--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to r81984

It's a bit ironic really.

The passion of Apple was to go up against big brother because they didn't like how big brother was doing things. Now they are doing whatever they can to be big brother (or have been for quite some time). Hhmm...
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to r81984

I wish I won a new MS surface tablet.
»www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/30941···s-tablet
That is how you make a tablet.
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

said by r81984:

»www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/30941···s-tablet

no you don't.
they're win8!!1

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

Make what ? Microsoft can't even estimate when it will be available, if ever ! I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting...

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Yes they are trash... I wont ever have one!!

I wish i could get a good walkman though! (I have alot of tapes i could listen to on it )

I give you once more chance to change your mind before I start replying to your ....

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to r81984

Don't blame Apple because you don't know how to use the device or use a barely used OS (XP 64-bit is really bad and few use it).

Yes, you need iTunes and no it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. It is getting long in the tooth but it does its core functions OK.

You could have accomplished this without iTunes with the Iphone configuration utility:

Windows: »support.apple.com/kb/DL1466
OS X: »support.apple.com/kb/DL1465

I always love how people rant without checking the facts or worse someone "in IT" can't grasp that something may be different or not the way I've always done it.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

reply to BigBlarg

said by BigBlarg:

After seeing how much more simple it is on my Nexus S, she said she will change to an Android phone once her 3 year contract is over.

Having come from the Mess that is Android I'll pass and am glad to be on an iPhone. Worked great if you were tied to Google but I'm not and the experience was mediocre at best and frustrating at worst.

No thanks, she'll most likely be back after that contract is up.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

Don't blame Apple because you don't know how to use the device or use a barely used OS (XP 64-bit is really bad and few use it).

Yes, you need iTunes and no it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. It is getting long in the tooth but it does its core functions OK.

You could have accomplished this without iTunes with the Iphone configuration utility:

Windows: »support.apple.com/kb/DL1466
OS X: »support.apple.com/kb/DL1465

I always love how people rant without checking the facts or worse someone "in IT" can't grasp that something may be different or not the way I've always done it.

I did use the iphone configuration utility with a VM to update the config on my ipad.
I love how people judge others without caring about the facts.

XP 64bit is common for enterprise users for engineering.
Apple compiled itunes for 64 bit, but chose to not compile it for xp 64 which would not have taken much time. Technically you can hack the 64 bit itunes to work in xp 64 bit by modifying the installer.

Yes Itunes is as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
1) it runs two processes on bootup even when you dont want to use it. WTF is bonjour
2) you have to register your device to it and they have limits to how many computers you can connect it to.
3) the ipad should just be able to connect and act as a dummy memory device to quickly copy files. Android has no problem with this feature. With the ipad you have to jail break it and setup an FTP connection to be able to transfer files without itunes. USB3.0 would be much better.
The designed in california gives california a bad name.
4)The ipad is basically nothing for $500. It is just a web browser. All the software that makes the Ipad useful is written by 3rd parties and you have to pay for it on top of the $500. You are not getting your money's worth for the price you pay, at least I got mine for free.
I cant imagine how useless the original ipads were at launch when there was no useful software for it.
5) IOS is a crappy limited OS. They should be installing Mac OS X to open it up to more software.
6)I have tried to help several people copy something to and from an IOS device by usb and it just does not work. If you get itunes installed and working then it gives an error about too many computers have been used. Itunes = garbage

Since a tablet is as only good as the software that runs on it, Microsoft has the best idea in making windows 8 to work on tablets. Any tablet with windows 8 will instantly open it up to run any software made in the last 20 years.

Apple product are all about over priced hype, not utility.
--

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

said by BigBlarg:

After seeing how much more simple it is on my Nexus S, she said she will change to an Android phone once her 3 year contract is over.

Having come from the Mess that is Android I'll pass and am glad to be on an iPhone. Worked great if you were tied to Google but I'm not and the experience was mediocre at best and frustrating at worst.

No thanks, she'll most likely be back after that contract is up.

Gee I guess ITguy does not understand how something works. Don't blame google because you dont know how to use the device.
I have a generic china phone with dual sim cards for $75 that runs android. It works perfectly with wifi only.
I dont understand your mess comment.
It has more utility than IOS products.
You sound like you have some kind of bias to apple products.

I have used android, hp touchpad, and IOS.
IOS = requires extra software on a computer to connect and limits the number of computers
Android = can transfer files over USB to any computer
HP = Can transfer files over USB to any computer

Besides that they all have the exact same features and accessories.
The main thing after transfering files is software/utility.
HP touch pad is limited in software
Andrioid and IOS have basically the same offerings.

For tablets based on connectivity (transfer files)
1. Android (usb only transfer)/HP touchpad (usb only transfer)
2. Win7 laptop/tablet PC (file sharing wifi/bluetooth/usb transfer cable)
3. IOS (USB with installed software transfer)

For tablets based on utility (most software) the winner is:
1. Win7 laptop/tablet PC (like tm2t)
2. Android/IOS
3. HP touchpad

For tablets based on price:
1. HP touchpad (firesale)
2. Android
3. A regular win7 laptop/tablet PC (like tm2t)
4. IOS

The overall winner for a tablet based on utility and price is:
1. Android
2. A regular win7 laptop/tablet pc (like the tm2t)
3. HP touchpad
4. IOS

I dont see how anyone can argue with this.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to dave

said by dave:

Nice device, shame about the ecosystem.

Not sure why this does not come up more often.. I'm not a ecofreak but with Apple's short product cycles i.e. Iphone where are all the old phones going? They make it almost impossible to open.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Voxxjin

said by Voxxjin:

said by drew:

Wasn't aware they stopped using this. Thanks.

yep been awhile like 3-4 years now.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

reply to r81984

said by r81984:

I did use the iphone configuration utility with a VM to update the config on my ipad.
I love how people judge others without caring about the facts.

You do realize that it's the same OS. The iPod Touch is nothing more than an iPhone without a GSM/CDMA radio. The iPad is a little different but not by much.

quote:
XP 64bit is common for enterprise users for engineering.
Not where I work (large utility company)

quote:
Yes Itunes is as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
Aaah, ignorance. Let me educate you....

quote:
1) it runs two processes on bootup even when you dont want to use it. WTF is bonjour
Bonjour = Multicast DNS. (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_%28software%29)

Basically it's how WiFi sync works as well as a lot of network printer setups. Really should be included as part of Windows but it's not so they have to get a service to do it.

quote:
2) you have to register your device to it and they have limits to how many computers you can connect it to.
Didn't register my device when I connected it and the limit is 5 and that' only for authorized iTunes content (basically movies and apps).

quote:
3) the ipad should just be able to connect and act as a dummy memory device to quickly copy files. Android has no problem with this feature. With the ipad you have to jail break it and setup an FTP connection to be able to transfer files without itunes. USB3.0 would be much better.
I will grant you that file syncing is sorely needed to be improved but I absolutely HATED the USB features of my Droid X. Since Android won't let you store media on internal drives you had to manually select "Charge Only" or "USB Mass storage" depending on what you were doing. Listening to a podcast and plug it into your computer to charge, bye bye podcast as now the SD card was assigned to the USB port. Plug it in to the car to listen to music and forget you had it on charge only. Now I have to figure out how to get it back to USB mode. No thanks. I plug in my iPhone and it's pretty much immediately available to my car (Ford Sync).

quote:
4)The ipad is basically nothing for $500. It is just a web browser. All the software that makes the Ipad useful is written by 3rd parties and you have to pay for it on top of the $500. You are not getting your money's worth for the price you pay, at least I got mine for free.
Really? Email is not useful?

The built in photo management is great on the iPad. I have a DSLR and I got the connection kit. Take the iPad on vacation and hook up the camera to the iPad and the photos upload to it. When on WiFi they then upload to iCloud and are backed up (for 30 days, free) and ready for me when I get home. Worked great on our recent vacation to Florida.

There are many other free apps that will extend the functionality. I think the only app I paid for was Quickoffice and that's because I wanted to be able to edit Excel docs.

quote:
I cant imagine how useless the original ipads were at launch when there was no useful software for it.
You could say the same thing about Windows, or my Droid X. It was useless when I got it as it's e-mail cleint doesn't do IMAP correctly and I didn't use my gmail.

quote:
5) IOS is a crappy limited OS. They should be installing Mac OS X to open it up to more software.
It wouldn't be the #1 mobile (tablet + smartphone) OS if that were the case. It wouldn't have the lions share of the accessory market if that were the case.

quote:
Since a tablet is as only good as the software that runs on it, Microsoft has the best idea in making windows 8 to work on tablets. Any tablet with windows 8 will instantly open it up to run any software made in the last 20 years.
Actually if you get an RT tablet it won't and the Pro tablets are going to be a mess. Let's try running Word 2000 in Windows 8 on a touch interface. Ain't gonna be pretty unless you plug in a mouse or keyboard. And then you have a laptop.

quote:
Apple product are all about over priced hype, not utility.
Whatever. That's why there is more work being done on iOS devices than Android. That's why Android is heading in the direction of iOS (loosing external buttons, nonremovable memory and batteries, simplification, etc.).

My Droid X was a neat experiment in Android. Sadly everything was a jumbled mess on that side and it had the features but none worked well.