Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

I wish I won a new MS surface tablet.
That is how you make a tablet.

Make what ? Microsoft can't even estimate when it will be available, if ever ! I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting...

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Yes they are trash... I wont ever have one!!

I wish i could get a good walkman though! (I have alot of tapes i could listen to on it )

I give you once more chance to change your mind before I start replying to your ....

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to r81984

Re: [Rant] Ipods are Garbage

Don't blame Apple because you don't know how to use the device or use a barely used OS (XP 64-bit is really bad and few use it).

Yes, you need iTunes and no it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. It is getting long in the tooth but it does its core functions OK.

You could have accomplished this without iTunes with the Iphone configuration utility:

Windows: »support.apple.com/kb/DL1466
OS X: »support.apple.com/kb/DL1465

I always love how people rant without checking the facts or worse someone "in IT" can't grasp that something may be different or not the way I've always done it.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

reply to BigBlarg

said by BigBlarg:

After seeing how much more simple it is on my Nexus S, she said she will change to an Android phone once her 3 year contract is over.

Having come from the Mess that is Android I'll pass and am glad to be on an iPhone. Worked great if you were tied to Google but I'm not and the experience was mediocre at best and frustrating at worst.

No thanks, she'll most likely be back after that contract is up.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

Don't blame Apple because you don't know how to use the device or use a barely used OS (XP 64-bit is really bad and few use it).

Yes, you need iTunes and no it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. It is getting long in the tooth but it does its core functions OK.

You could have accomplished this without iTunes with the Iphone configuration utility:

Windows: »support.apple.com/kb/DL1466
OS X: »support.apple.com/kb/DL1465

I always love how people rant without checking the facts or worse someone "in IT" can't grasp that something may be different or not the way I've always done it.

I did use the iphone configuration utility with a VM to update the config on my ipad.
I love how people judge others without caring about the facts.

XP 64bit is common for enterprise users for engineering.
Apple compiled itunes for 64 bit, but chose to not compile it for xp 64 which would not have taken much time. Technically you can hack the 64 bit itunes to work in xp 64 bit by modifying the installer.

Yes Itunes is as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
1) it runs two processes on bootup even when you dont want to use it. WTF is bonjour
2) you have to register your device to it and they have limits to how many computers you can connect it to.
3) the ipad should just be able to connect and act as a dummy memory device to quickly copy files. Android has no problem with this feature. With the ipad you have to jail break it and setup an FTP connection to be able to transfer files without itunes. USB3.0 would be much better.
The designed in california gives california a bad name.
4)The ipad is basically nothing for $500. It is just a web browser. All the software that makes the Ipad useful is written by 3rd parties and you have to pay for it on top of the $500. You are not getting your money's worth for the price you pay, at least I got mine for free.
I cant imagine how useless the original ipads were at launch when there was no useful software for it.
5) IOS is a crappy limited OS. They should be installing Mac OS X to open it up to more software.
6)I have tried to help several people copy something to and from an IOS device by usb and it just does not work. If you get itunes installed and working then it gives an error about too many computers have been used. Itunes = garbage

Since a tablet is as only good as the software that runs on it, Microsoft has the best idea in making windows 8 to work on tablets. Any tablet with windows 8 will instantly open it up to run any software made in the last 20 years.

Apple product are all about over priced hype, not utility.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

said by BigBlarg:

After seeing how much more simple it is on my Nexus S, she said she will change to an Android phone once her 3 year contract is over.

Having come from the Mess that is Android I'll pass and am glad to be on an iPhone. Worked great if you were tied to Google but I'm not and the experience was mediocre at best and frustrating at worst.

No thanks, she'll most likely be back after that contract is up.

Gee I guess ITguy does not understand how something works. Don't blame google because you dont know how to use the device.
I have a generic china phone with dual sim cards for $75 that runs android. It works perfectly with wifi only.
I dont understand your mess comment.
It has more utility than IOS products.
You sound like you have some kind of bias to apple products.

I have used android, hp touchpad, and IOS.
IOS = requires extra software on a computer to connect and limits the number of computers
Android = can transfer files over USB to any computer
HP = Can transfer files over USB to any computer

Besides that they all have the exact same features and accessories.
The main thing after transfering files is software/utility.
HP touch pad is limited in software
Andrioid and IOS have basically the same offerings.

For tablets based on connectivity (transfer files)
1. Android (usb only transfer)/HP touchpad (usb only transfer)
2. Win7 laptop/tablet PC (file sharing wifi/bluetooth/usb transfer cable)
3. IOS (USB with installed software transfer)

For tablets based on utility (most software) the winner is:
1. Win7 laptop/tablet PC (like tm2t)
2. Android/IOS
3. HP touchpad

For tablets based on price:
1. HP touchpad (firesale)
2. Android
3. A regular win7 laptop/tablet PC (like tm2t)
4. IOS

The overall winner for a tablet based on utility and price is:
1. Android
2. A regular win7 laptop/tablet pc (like the tm2t)
3. HP touchpad
4. IOS

I dont see how anyone can argue with this.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to dave

said by dave:

Nice device, shame about the ecosystem.

Not sure why this does not come up more often.. I'm not a ecofreak but with Apple's short product cycles i.e. Iphone where are all the old phones going? They make it almost impossible to open.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Voxxjin

said by Voxxjin:

said by drew:

There is no longer any DRM on the music downloaded from the iTunes Store.

Wasn't aware they stopped using this. Thanks.

yep been awhile like 3-4 years now.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA

1 recommendation

reply to r81984

said by r81984:

I did use the iphone configuration utility with a VM to update the config on my ipad.
I love how people judge others without caring about the facts.

You do realize that it's the same OS. The iPod Touch is nothing more than an iPhone without a GSM/CDMA radio. The iPad is a little different but not by much.

quote:
XP 64bit is common for enterprise users for engineering.
Not where I work (large utility company)

quote:
Yes Itunes is as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
Aaah, ignorance. Let me educate you....

quote:
1) it runs two processes on bootup even when you dont want to use it. WTF is bonjour
Bonjour = Multicast DNS. (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_%28software%29)

Basically it's how WiFi sync works as well as a lot of network printer setups. Really should be included as part of Windows but it's not so they have to get a service to do it.

quote:
2) you have to register your device to it and they have limits to how many computers you can connect it to.
Didn't register my device when I connected it and the limit is 5 and that' only for authorized iTunes content (basically movies and apps).

quote:
3) the ipad should just be able to connect and act as a dummy memory device to quickly copy files. Android has no problem with this feature. With the ipad you have to jail break it and setup an FTP connection to be able to transfer files without itunes. USB3.0 would be much better.
I will grant you that file syncing is sorely needed to be improved but I absolutely HATED the USB features of my Droid X. Since Android won't let you store media on internal drives you had to manually select "Charge Only" or "USB Mass storage" depending on what you were doing. Listening to a podcast and plug it into your computer to charge, bye bye podcast as now the SD card was assigned to the USB port. Plug it in to the car to listen to music and forget you had it on charge only. Now I have to figure out how to get it back to USB mode. No thanks. I plug in my iPhone and it's pretty much immediately available to my car (Ford Sync).

quote:
4)The ipad is basically nothing for $500. It is just a web browser. All the software that makes the Ipad useful is written by 3rd parties and you have to pay for it on top of the $500. You are not getting your money's worth for the price you pay, at least I got mine for free.
Really? Email is not useful?

The built in photo management is great on the iPad. I have a DSLR and I got the connection kit. Take the iPad on vacation and hook up the camera to the iPad and the photos upload to it. When on WiFi they then upload to iCloud and are backed up (for 30 days, free) and ready for me when I get home. Worked great on our recent vacation to Florida.

There are many other free apps that will extend the functionality. I think the only app I paid for was Quickoffice and that's because I wanted to be able to edit Excel docs.

quote:
I cant imagine how useless the original ipads were at launch when there was no useful software for it.
You could say the same thing about Windows, or my Droid X. It was useless when I got it as it's e-mail cleint doesn't do IMAP correctly and I didn't use my gmail.

quote:
5) IOS is a crappy limited OS. They should be installing Mac OS X to open it up to more software.
It wouldn't be the #1 mobile (tablet + smartphone) OS if that were the case. It wouldn't have the lions share of the accessory market if that were the case.

quote:
Since a tablet is as only good as the software that runs on it, Microsoft has the best idea in making windows 8 to work on tablets. Any tablet with windows 8 will instantly open it up to run any software made in the last 20 years.
Actually if you get an RT tablet it won't and the Pro tablets are going to be a mess. Let's try running Word 2000 in Windows 8 on a touch interface. Ain't gonna be pretty unless you plug in a mouse or keyboard. And then you have a laptop.

quote:
Apple product are all about over priced hype, not utility.
Whatever. That's why there is more work being done on iOS devices than Android. That's why Android is heading in the direction of iOS (loosing external buttons, nonremovable memory and batteries, simplification, etc.).

My Droid X was a neat experiment in Android. Sadly everything was a jumbled mess on that side and it had the features but none worked well.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

Not sure why this does not come up more often.. I'm not a ecofreak but with Apple's short product cycles i.e. Iphone where are all the old phones going? They make it almost impossible to open.

Huh? Just because they release a new one doesn't mean the old one stops working. Heck, a coworker is still using my old iPhone 3G I sold him when I got a Droid X. And it will still be supported with the latest OS for a while.

I got my Droid X on launch day in 2010. Came with Eclair (Android 2.1). Got an upgrade to Froyo and one to Gingerbread (2.3) in 2011. That's it, done. The GB upgrade sucks and pretty much ruined the phone. It's slow, unreliable (likes to reboot whenever), and just generally sucky.

If you bought an iPhone 4 in 2010, you would be able to upgrade to iOS 6 this fall. Heck, if you bought a 3GS now (a phone from 2009) you could get iOS 6 in the fall.

That's decent life IMHO.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

Gee I guess ITguy does not understand how something works. Don't blame google because you dont know how to use the device.

Guess a phone that reboots (Droid X) when listening to Podcasts is my fault? Guess when it sits there and reboots on its own its my fault too?

Guess a phone that requires 2 tries to make a bluetooth call from the car is my fault?

Guess a phone that is slow as shit after a while is my fault too?

quote:
I dont understand your mess comment.
It doesn't integrate well. About the only thing it integrates with is Google. I don't want to spend an hour getting music and data on the phone. Much easier to plug in a cable and let it do the work.

Music was a mess on my Driod X. I installed the new "Music player" and ended up with 2 apps, 1 with the Google cloud support and 1 without. WTF - it should have replaced the stock app.

USB Charge vs USB Mass Storage - a headache for those of us that listened to music.

quote:
It has more utility than IOS products.
Doubtful. I can get more accessories and cool things for my iPhone than any Android.

quote:
The main thing after transfering files is software/utility.
Don't get this fascination with transferring files? About the only thing iOS has to learn is file syncing. They have the music and videos down well. I have all my stuff in iTunes (saves me from managing it) and have the checkbox "Fill unused space with music" set on my iPhone set. Whenever I sync it will switch up the music. Works great and would be a nightmare to implement with Android (I tried with iSyncr but gave up after 10-30 minute sync times).

Sorry, I just don't get how Android is better in every respect. I've been there, I wanted to embrace it in 2010. But I've got the battle scars from that experience.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to itguy05

You missed the point.. it's not about it not working it's about over-saturation.. the whole thing with apple if say your itouch stops working or it has an issue they can't fix they just give you another.

Opening a macbook is no fun trying to get to the screen :-/

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

i really wish i could copy my files to the ipod without using god damned i tunes they make it so difficult.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
reply to itguy05

All I had to do is plug it in and copy the music over. The music player picked them automatically. Wasn't that difficult.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

exactly, why cant apples ipod do this?

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to r81984

I've got XP running on a dual boot (2 hard drive) 64 bit system. Photoshop loves it. Ubuntu does well.

I used a Sandisk Sansa. It would play videos, mp3, you weren't limited to anyone's service to get music, and it used micro SD. Get the music on the computer and drag and drop. No software required. Home videos from phones did need Sansa's conversion, stuff from Youtube did not. You could use the Sansa with a car stereo if you had an RCA jack. My stereo did. (New one has USB)
Far cheaper than any Idevice or even the Zune.

Since all the music was saved on computer - when I bought a tablet, all I had to do was get it on the tablet card. Again, no special software. 3 different OS involved. Android, XP and Ubuntu.
Not sure what the Sansa used, but still drag and drop on XP and Ubuntu.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Paolo

said by Paolo:

i really wish i could copy my files to the ipod without using god damned i tunes they make it so difficult.

Use MediaMonkey. There's others too... Clearly you haven't checked for any alternatives.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to r81984

I love my touch, HATE itunes. I find it to be slow, sluggish, and it crashes alot, even when you do clean installs. Once it's up and running, transferring stuff to the ipod is a breeze, I just browse my music through explorer, and select, drag, and drop it into my ipod. itunes handles the rest. So far, it's played everything I've thrown at it, from different music files to movies.

My touch is a 2nd gen, and I'd like to upgrade to a latest model, since alot of the games available are no longer playable on my ipod. I just don't have the $$$ to buy a new one yet. Soon though.

Yes, I have other mp3 players that work just as well, but I just love my touch. I use it for so much more than just music.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada

i dont wanna use itunes, i dont wanna use no monkeyass software either. what ever happen to usb mass storage, why does apple hafto make things difficult
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to dave

said by dave:

said by r81984:

I dont see flash as resources hungry on my pc.

iPAD != PC. iPAD RAM = 1GB. iPAD CPU = ARM. iPAD battery = smaller.

Desktop Flash != Mobile Flash
It runs fine on my Atrix 4g and doesn't seem to impact battery life anymore than any other non-idle use of my phone.

pcdebb
RIP dadkins
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to r81984

this thread is terribly entertaining!

(posting from beloved iDevice)
--
| map your city |

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

put CM9 on your touchpad
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to pcdebb

said by pcdebb:

this thread is terribly entertaining!

(posting from beloved iDevice)

Apple vs. everyone else thread... must be bulk garbage day.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

You missed the point.. it's not about it not working it's about over-saturation.. the whole thing with apple if say your itouch stops working or it has an issue they can't fix they just give you another.

Opening a macbook is no fun trying to get to the screen :-/

Still confused. You can replace the battery in an itouch or iPhone. Other than that it's no different than other consumer electronic device. If my cordless phone poops the bed and it's not the battery, in the trash it goes. We're even at that point with things like TVs. We had a power board go on our plasma tv and did it were not under warranty it would have been $800 according to the tech...

Been using laptops forever and never had to get to the screen. Even hard drive replacement on my PowerBook G4 wasnt that hard, it just took a level head and good organization.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to redxii

said by redxii:

All I had to do is plug it in and copy the music over. The music player picked them automatically. Wasn't that difficult.

That's how I did it but it was a PITA to change that music. Even isyncr which was the best of the best was a PITA. With the BS on the Droid X of having to select charge only or USB Mass storage when you plugged it in, I gave up on loading music from my computer. Streamed from Slacker or listened to Podcasts.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

Still confused. You can replace the battery in an itouch or iPhone.

The average person can't change the battery in an iPod touch or iPhone. Besides the fact that the cases are generally not user-serviceable, from my research (I have two iPod touch units that need new batteries), soldering is required as well. I love to tinker with things but soldering is something I never got very good at. No way will I try and replace the batteries...

Again, I have Apple devices and Android devices. You can swap a battery in an Android device in minutes, no tools (or skill ?) req'd. Definitely can't do that with an Apple device.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

With the BS on the Droid X of having to select charge only or USB Mass storage when you plugged it in...

Since this is about a Motorola device (they like to destroy the standard Android way of doing things !), I could be wrong here, but the stock Android software allows you to tell the phone to always use the USB storage option when connected to a PC. Yes, I understand - maybe one only wants to charge the device. It will still charge if you pick the storage option though.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

said by r81984:

put CM9 on your touchpad

already did.
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to itguy05

I'm with hall.. i had to change the battery in my ipod video and it's not a easy 1-2-3 job.