spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bryan85
join:2011-06-30
San Antonio, TX

bryan85

[TWC] Cable modem problems with 50/5 package in SA, TX

For the past couple of months I've been having extreme buffering issues with any streaming video service. I was using the TWC supplied Ubee DDW3611 with my 50/5 service, connected to an Apple Time Capsule(4th/latest gen). I narrowed the issue down to the cable modem itself and tried multiple hard reboots, resets, etc. Nothing fixed the problem. So last week I looked on TWC site and found the list for "authorized" customer owned cable modems. I then purchased a NIB Motorola SB6141 from Amazon. Called TWC and got it added to the account no problems. This cured my buffering problem but, now I have a problem with the modem rebooting itself a couple times a day. Here is the screen caps. Please help! I know the problem is with the T4 timeouts, but I have no idea how to fix it. P.S. the first two resets were caused by me messing with the modem. I tried doing the Reset and Reboot cable modem in the config page.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

As of that screenshot, your signal levels look dead on perfect.

It does seem curious that you have mostly 0 "correctable" codewords, but a handful of UNcorrectables. Its usually the other way around. Judging from the log your modem hasn't been up long since the last reboot. See if you can get stats after it's been up for a while but before it reboots.

Try to keep an eye on those levels. After you experience a reboot, look at them again. Are either the downstream, or upstream values changing significantly?
TWCdude
join:2006-04-28
San Antonio, TX

TWCdude to bryan85

to bryan85
I pulled up your acct and don't see anything out of the ordinary. The firmware is the latest version. I did a packet loss test and it checked out good you didn't lose anything. The uncorrected packets on your screen shot is probably your problem that is basically complete data loss. You might need to get a service tech to look into the issue.

Jabbu
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06

Jabbu to bryan85

Premium Member

to bryan85
I have the sb6120, almost identical logs. Disregard anything with the 1970 date, I believe that is when the modem is first booted up. I also have a lot more uncorrected vs correctable.

Different modems act differently to the same problem. Your buffering on the ubee could be the same issue rebooting your motorola, or it could just be a bad modem.

I would request a service tech or exchange the modem with amazon.

edit:

try a day without the apple, and for giggles you could try moving the power pack for the modem into a plug on a different wall.
bryan85
San Antonio, TX

bryan85 to TWCdude

to TWCdude
You rock man! Thanks for looking into that! I will contact a rep to do a truck roll.
bryan85

bryan85 to djrobx

to djrobx
The signal levels don't change much at all +/- 2db at most.
bryan85

bryan85

I just got off the phone with TWC. They rebooted my modem remotely and said they were going to monitor it for the next 24 hours. We will see what happens...
bryan85

bryan85

So after the remote reboot and monitor, the cable modem stayed up for 24 hours with no problems. Then it started having the same issues again. So I called, they did a truck roll. The tech was very nice and replaced the RG6 from cable modem -> wall, re-terminated all ends at the side of my house, changed the ground wire and connector at the side of my house, replaced the CATV filter at the "Doghouse" and re-terminated the ends there. My signal improved by about +1db. Everything else remained the same.

The modem was fine for a little over 48 hours before it started rebooting itself again with the same T4 timeout error. I just contacted TWC and let them know that I was having the same issue. They suggested that I go back to the Ubee modem and see if I still have the streaming issues with it because of everything the tech did on the truck roll.

So i'm back on the Ubee for now and I am hoping the streaming issues don't corp up again. I will keep this thread updated for anyone that cares.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

I just wanted to show you this link so you can know what T4 timeouts are: »volpefirm.com/docsis-101 ··· iptions/
bryan85
San Antonio, TX

bryan85

Pay no attention to the thread resurrection, lol! I just wanted to give a resolution in case someone searches the forum.

On the final truck roll that fixed the issue, I was looking over the account with the tech and noticed there were multiple(5) cable modems listed. My hypothesis was that the server may be trying to contact the other modems for some reason and causing the timeouts. So we removed all modems: Ubee DDW3611, SB6120(mine), SB6141(mine), an old Ambit D2.0, and a Motorola VOIP modem they mistakenly left on my account from over five years ago.

The tech then added a NIB Motorola SB6580 that they put on his truck that morning. All of my stats seem to be much better than any other modem I have tried. Best of all, I have not had one T3/4 timeout since all of this was done!