spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

blu87

join:2004-03-23
united state

[STB] Updates of the guide, software, etc.

I had a post about this before this site went down. I never got to resolve the problem. So I guess I have to start all over again since I can't find a cached version of the thread.

Does anyone know if I should be getting nightly or weekly updates of anything (software, guides, etc.) that would turn my box off? I used to get updates several times a week that would turn the box off and would have apdl on it. But that hasn't happened since January. Additionally, since that last update, my guide only goes maybe 12 hrs or so ahead. That update must have been a big one because it was one of those ones that have three digit numbers with an r in front of them, and they count down backwards (like r325, r324, r323, r322, and so on). But it seems to have got stuck for about 5 minutes, at least I think that's what happened.

Comcast upgraded (downgraded, IMO) to the S25 guide during the summer of 2011. I never had a problem with the guide then. It would go about 3-4 days ahead. But since January, it just goes about 12 hrs ahead, sometimes more sometimes less. My STB is SA Explorer 2200. Yes, I know it's old, but it gets the job done.

Does anyone know why my guide goes only 12 hrs ahead when it used to go 3-4 days ahead?

Should I be receiving noticeable updates at least once or twice a month? I mean the kind of updates that turn my box off? I would know if it went off because the clicking sound it makes when it goes on/off wakes me up and it hasn't done that since January.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
The only updates that you should be getting are for new guide data, menu changes or the next guide update which is scheduled for this summer. The guide update S26 shouldl be announced before it is deployed.

The software patch was being sent out in some areas in january and it might be using more memory and it could have reduced the amount of guide data listings.

Has the guide data added season and episode information? If it has that will reduce the amount of guide data listings. The SA Explorer 2200 has limited memory and that is why you are getting less listings. Also, the descriptions might have expanded and that would cause less listings. I think the SA Explorer 2200 will have less features than other STBs when you get the new S26 guide. You may want to consider exchanging it for a more modern STB with more memory to get more guide data listings.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

DrDemento

join:2005-07-25
Brick, NJ
reply to blu87
I had the exact same situation with my old SA 2200. It is indeed a memory problem. I could only get the guide to populate for about 8-12 hours in advance and sometimes not even that much. I had Comcast give me a Cisco RNG 100 in exchange and immediately I can see up to 6 days in advance on the guide. The only objection I have is that the new Cisco RNG 100 does not display any clock-I know it is unimportant-but when you are used to looking over at the box for the correct time a gazillion times per day, you really miss it when it is gone. If you want to solve your guide problem-you will have to get a newer model and part with the SA 2200. By the way-you may have to explain this to the Comcast personnel as I had called them numerous times previously and could not get them to understand what was happening. Good luck.

blu87

join:2004-03-23
united state
reply to Russ6
In the past few weeks, I did notice that the guide now has added episode information (season number and episode number). Since then, the guide only displays data maybe 8 hrs or so in advance. I haven't been watching much TV recently, so I didn't realize the connection.

If I get a new STB, how does Comcast charge for that when compared to the Explorere 2200? There are obviously a lot of different choices for boxes and I have no idea how they price them. I'd look on their website, but it's often inaccurate.

Something strange did happen a week or so ago. One of the three boxes went off and was updating something. Later, a box in another room must have updated because the menu screen was different. It had very different things on it than usual. A few hours later, it reverted back to the way it was. Strange. It would be nice if Comcast would notify people of updates. I often feel like they're playing games with me.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

1 edit
Most digital Comcast packages provide a STB with the package. It may be a standard definition STB without a DVR. If this is what you get you shouldn't be charged extra. If you want a high definition STB or a DVR you probably will be charged extra. The charge can vary between Comcast areas and some areas may use the same STB for both standard definition and high definition. To find out the charge, you can call Comcast or visit a Comcast location.

Comcast tried to send out a menu update last week but it caused problems and Comcast reverted back to the previous menus. There is a thread about it in this forum, see:
»[DVR] DVR menu outage

--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'