uniqs
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to Devanchya

to Devanchya

Re: [Rant] Resumes - looking for Employee's

said by Devanchya:

But I can't stand is someone who puts a Certificate on their resume and then can't back up the certification with knowledge. I have found 2-3 people who were prefect for the job but were passed over because they were unable to back up their certification.

That's what a certification is, a way to convince someone that you know something you don't.

If I was you I'd stop asking for certification and start requesting samples of previous work code instead.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON

Devanchya

Premium Member

We aren't asking for certificates. but if they have a certificate on the resume we have to ask questions about it because our client will.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to IamGimli

Premium Member

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

said by Devanchya:

But I can't stand is someone who puts a Certificate on their resume and then can't back up the certification with knowledge. I have found 2-3 people who were prefect for the job but were passed over because they were unable to back up their certification.

That's what a certification is, a way to convince someone that you know something you don't.

If I was you I'd stop asking for certification and start requesting samples of previous work code instead.

That is what a PAPER certification is. The older MSCE's were a waste of time. All they proved is that you could write a test. When I did my Red Hat certification in 2003, it was all hands on practical, no written test. It was in two parts, but the first part was you were presented with a computer that would not boot. If you could not fix that, you could not do the rest of the first half an you failed it. Over half the class failed, I got one thing wrong in the second portion of the test (made a mistake in a crontab set up).

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to IamGimli

Premium Member

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

said by Devanchya:

Certifications to me, were that you "read the book" and "took a test", but outside of that have no real world skills.

There are people who spend their entire lifetime getting certifications, so it looks great on paper.

NitzyGuy, I also got my MCP is on NT WS and Server(boy that dates me), the days of the multiple guess questions.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot

said by elwoodblues:

said by IamGimli:

said by Devanchya:

Certifications to me, were that you "read the book" and "took a test", but outside of that have no real world skills.

There are people who spend their entire lifetime getting certifications, so it looks great on paper.

NitzyGuy, I also got my MCP is on NT WS and Server(boy that dates me), the days of the multiple guess questions.

Yeah, that's certification IMO too. If Devanchya is going to ask applicants about their certs, the least he can do is get HR to warn the interviewees about it when they book the interview.

That way they can brush up on the lingo and basics. Hell, IMO you guys should set a deadline when you want to get your 2 new employees and then pick the 2 best who you think you'd get a long well with and who have the most potential to learn the ropes.

Or better yet if you don't mind training, hire some co-op students from the local college and give some kids a job.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by IamGimli:

said by Devanchya:

....Well, it dates me too, except mine was part of the "New" Adaptive testing...not that it was extremely difficult.....unfortunately the Network Essentials part of the MCSE tripped me up and I never finished but still have my MCP card...I carry it around with me for nostalgia purposes...reminds me of how things have changed so much....

I did have hands on training though...again, back in the 1998-1999 days....its all completely useless now...but I can read and learn....even Windows 7 for all of its GUI type nonsense....

Thank you for the lesson on Appwiz....I had completely forgotten about cpl's....I thought in the Windows 7 world they had disappeared....I'm still stubbornly holding onto XP and I do have a Vista laptop...

All it was, was a way for me to get a foot in the door in all honesty, I didn't expect to land into a job making 40-50k/year as a 22 year old...I started at $9.50, then in 2000 proceeded from contract to contract (the year of 4 jobs) at roughly $15-$17/hr...which was not bad considering...

Anywho, I just have to get motivated to learn some of this stuff again as I feel really rusty....