Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dark_star

join:2003-11-14
Louisville
kudos:1

[CATV] Is a cable box required?

I'm buying my Mom a low end 1080p TV for Mother's Day. Her current TV is an old 480 Standard Definition, and I am 99% sure the tuner is analog, not digital.

So my questions are, can she get HD on the new TV with the current cable box? If not, can I plug the cable directly to the new TV with no cable box?

Or will I need to get Insight to bring out a new box?

If it matters, she has no pay per view or premium channels for example HBO.

petey_

join:2003-06-14
Louisville, KY
Local HD stations will come in if the TV has a built in QAM tuner. Ex: 3-1, 11-1, 32-1, 41-1... If I'm not mistaken you will need a box for HBO. To get all the HD stations and paid stations like HBO you will need to get a HD-DVR box @ $10/month.

dark_star

Louisville
Thanks petey. At least I'll be able to get up and running, and see if she likes the TV.

Han Solo

@insightbb.com
reply to dark_star
Here is the list of channels you will get without a cable box on a QAM(digital tuner) TV:

»www.myinsight.com/documents/boxl···_ken.pdf

There are about 100 or so channels. Insight might have the best non-cablebox lineup in the entire US.

rjbasye

join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY
That lineup is only available in Louisville. All other areas need a mini box/DTA. Here in Northern KY, QAM only consists of local stations,shopping channels and public access.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
Not sure this is accurate. I live in Lexingtona and could still get QAM channels even after they introduced the mini-DTAs. I'll have to double check to make sure this is the case.

dark_star

Louisville
reply to Han Solo
Thank you Han Solo. I am in Louisville, so your list does apply.

The new TV delivery is running late (ship to store from Wal-Mart). So it is nice to know when it finally arrives it will work without having to call Insight for another box.