spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

infoten

join:2010-07-20

lunch program in elementary school

We just realized that the elementary school doesn't provide lunch program for the kids after we moved to the new home. We never thought it would be a question before since our old school district has this program since the kinder garden.

We went to the school district superintendent ans were told it will take time to explore because there are significant challenges.

I am just wondering whom else we can approach for the help.

Thanks a lot

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

I don't have kids but I imagine your next step would be to escalate to the Board of Education. »www.isbe.state.il.us/

infoten

Thanks a lot for your information.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL
reply to infoten

I thought all schools were required to provide lunch.

infoten

Not really. That is a surprise for me also. The kids need to bring their own lunch and there's no refrigerator or microwave in the school!

As working parents, we felt bad when kid brought home big portion of left over lunches and ate afternoon snack like a wolf.

BTW, how can we submit our concerns to the board of education
www.isbe.state.il.us/?

Again, thanks a million for your input

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL

1 edit
reply to infoten

I don't know. There must be a contact page on that site. I didn't look. I think Gery Chico is the president of the board. You can mail him at gchico@chiconunes.com

You may have better luck looking for a contact on that site. Like I said though. I don't have kids and have never dealt with the school system. There's probably someone here that knows more about this stuff.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to infoten

said by infoten:

Not really. That is a surprise for me also. The kids need to bring their own lunch and there's no refrigerator or microwave in the school!

As working parents, we felt bad when kid brought home big portion of left over lunches and ate afternoon snack like a wolf.

BTW, how can we submit our concerns to the board of education
www.isbe.state.il.us/?

Again, thanks a million for your input

Not everything needs a refrigerator or microwave. Plus most lunch boxes containers can have an ice pack put in.
Some days my son eats the school lunch others he happily makes and packs his own lunch.
If some children could use say a free or reduced lunch program that is different. But for years kids at school and adults working outside jobs with no refrigerators or microwaves have somehow survived.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2
reply to infoten

Being that the Chicago area is my old childhood home, I do not remember any of the Chicago Public Schools or other public schools in Cook County not having a lunch program. The surrounding counties did have some public schools without lunch programs. I am curious as to which school district this is in. Would you mind sharing that information?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to infoten

I've been living in this area all my life, and until I got to high school, we never had a lunch program.

I grew up in Wildwood, IL (near Grayslake, Gurnee, etc). Went K-12 at Woodland School. Back then, it was 3 buildings on Gages Lake Road. K-3 was on the north side of the road, then 4-6 was across the street in one building, and finally 7th and 8th (Junior High) was on the same side as 4 thru 6, just in a different building.

Every day my mom would pack me a lunch. It was always something simple (Sandwich, chips, and cookies). We did have milk every day that the school provided (we had to pay for it ahead of time when we registered each year).

Also, once a month, they did "Hot Dog Day". You put your order in about 2 or 3 weeks in advance in your classroom. Hotdogs were like 50 cents or something each, and the ice cream cup was something like 75 cents or a dollar. The only options for condiments was ketchup or mustard.

When I went to Warren THS (on O'Plane Road in Gurnee) that was the first school that I had the option to get a "hot" lunch every day.

I guess I never thought about it, and thought it was "normal" to not have a lunch program in the lower grades. However, as I got older and starting talking to people who went to different schools, they said that we were the odd ones, as most of the lower grades had a lunch program.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to infoten

My kids go to a private school and it has a lunch program. I think my public schools do as well.

What district is this in?
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to infoten

My son goes to private school and they did have a lunch program but cancelled it before the last school year. Like the person above mentions they provide cold milk but you have to pre-pay and then once a month they do have something special.

Illinois law (or maybe US law) makes them provide certain food groups and the cost was becoming prohibitive with no funding.

Jon
Premium
Lisle, IL

Doesn't private school funding come from tuition? Or do they get state money too?

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1

They do get some state money. A lot of it has been cut in recent years due to the Illinois state budget crisis.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
reply to infoten

To be honest I wouldn't be to upset after looking at some of the food they do provide. I'd rather make my kids food than have them eat pizza you can squeeze and watch the grease pouring out.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!