MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

There goes cheap shipping from the US for some gear

USPS won't ship tablets and smartphones internationally
Gadget batteries are "dangerous goods" that can explode and cause fires.

»arstechnica.com/gadgets/ ··· ionally/

As of now, the USPS only expects to keep the ban in place until January 1 2013. By that time, it expects the International Civil Aviation Organiza­tion, the Universal Postal Union, and the Postal Service will have figured out safely shippable quantities of lithium, as well as packaging or installation procedures to help ensure safer international travels.

Source:
»about.usps.com/postal-bu ··· _004.htm

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Wow, thats some bullshit... Batteries are dangerous goods. lol.

I guess that's why they're approved for direct use by people...

derekm
join:2008-02-26

derekm to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
Gotta wonder if someone in management read this:

»xkcd.com/651/

Shhh!

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Last year I shipped a laser printer to the states by UPS. Their broker stopped the shipment until I filled out an FDA form, and they charged about $50 extra because of it. See, LASER printers have a class 1 laser in them -- OMG!!!

Every desktop/laptop from the last 15 years has a class 1 laser too, of course, but they aren't called LASER desktops, so nobody cares.
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

said by Teddy Boom:

Last year I shipped a laser printer to the states by UPS. Their broker stopped the shipment until I filled out an FDA form, and they charged about $50 extra because of it. See, LASER printers have a class 1 laser in them -- OMG!!!

Every desktop/laptop from the last 15 years has a class 1 laser too, of course, but they aren't called LASER desktops, so nobody cares.

Not every desktop/laptop. Some companies stopped including optical drives to save $10 or whatever it costs them.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

USPS won't ship tablets and smartphones internationally
Gadget batteries are "dangerous goods" that can explode and cause fires.

»arstechnica.com/gadgets/ ··· ionally/

As of now, the USPS only expects to keep the ban in place until January 1 2013. By that time, it expects the International Civil Aviation Organiza­tion, the Universal Postal Union, and the Postal Service will have figured out safely shippable quantities of lithium, as well as packaging or installation procedures to help ensure safer international travels.

Source:
»about.usps.com/postal-bu ··· _004.htm

True. Our local health unit had a fire a couple of months ago caused by short-circuited laptop batteries collected for recycling.

»www.bayshorebroadcasting ··· ID=44997

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by DKS:

True. Our local health unit had a fire a couple of months ago caused by short-circuited laptop batteries collected for recycling.

»www.bayshorebroadcasting ··· ID=44997

That's interesting. They are slightly dangerous, to be sure.. I wonder what I should do with my battery recycling box. If it ever caught fire this place would go up like a torch (sprinkler system? you must be kidding :P). Meanwhile outdoor in the summer sun may not be such a good idea either.

For the record, the FAA thinks the best way to deal with a laptop battery fire is water to cool it down. Lots and lots and lots of water.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· KA_Si-m8

Yes, even though Lithium and water don't react well, as per this thread for example:
»laserpointerforums.com/f ··· 214.html
The problem with Lithium Ion batteries is thermal runaway, and if you get rid of the heat you stop the runaway condition.

(ice alone does more to insulate than to cool -- use water!)

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to MaynardKrebs

MVM

to MaynardKrebs
How often have you ordered a laptop battery from the US and had it ship USPS? Most of the time it ships UPS, Fedex, etc...

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
I thought they got around the "dangerous goods" thing by not installing the batteries, they were packed in the box.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
Pretty informative video. Something to remember.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

Gone to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

See, LASER printers have a class 1 laser in them -- OMG!!!

No they don't.

Edit - I should qualify that. If it's an old printer it might, but for the last while now they've just used simple LEDs for exposure.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium Member
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA

pokesph to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
guess the USPS's "If it fits, it ships" slogan no longer applies.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by pokesph:

guess the USPS's "If it fits, it ships" slogan no longer applies.

Nah, they still use it...... with a little update.

"If it fits, it ships, 'cept when we don't."

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

No they don't.

Edit - I should qualify that. If it's an old printer it might, but for the last while now they've just used simple LEDs for exposure.

Well, there were those old Okidata LED printers in the 90s, but I thought HP was all lasers.. Looks like there is a real mix nowadays actually:
»www.ehow.com/facts_58391 ··· ers.html

Anyway, I think it is too late to get a refund on that one
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to grunze510

to grunze510
said by grunze510:

Not every desktop/laptop. Some companies stopped including optical drives to save $10 or whatever it costs them.

It also shaves half a pound and 5mm height off. Nettops, ultraportables and other diminutive form factor portable devices don't have the weight and size budget for CDROM drives.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
Here is another reason. A badly repaired iPhone caught fire.

»www.zdnet.com/news/airbo ··· /6361745

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

Well, there were those old Okidata LED printers in the 90s, but I thought HP was all lasers.. Looks like there is a real mix nowadays actually:
»www.ehow.com/facts_58391 ··· ers.html
Anyway, I think it is too late to get a refund on that one

When I was doing HP laser repair back in the mid-2000s they were transitioning to LED. I expect by now that the majority, if not all of them, are LED. Our Samsung at the office is LED. Some of the highest-end models had moved to DC fusers back in the early to mid-2000s too, but even today most are still AC.

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Spike5 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
There are still lots of laser printers being made with true lasers in them.

Its easy to tell as you can hear the distinct noise of the prism/mirror spinning up just before it starts to actually print.

EDIT: Colour lasers its still common due to there being like 4 photo sensitive drums to cover, it can be done with a single laser Vs. 4 LED arrays......

Of course it all depends on the design and cost of said printer.
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Wow, thats some bullshit... Batteries are dangerous goods. lol.

As a matter of fact, Lithium-Ion batteries CAN be troublesome »gizmodo.com/182257/dell- ··· n-flames