spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jmcging
join:2005-08-04
Columbia, MD

jmcging

New Giga Actiontec Rocks

Spent the $$ to buy one to replace the Rev E Actiontec I had because I wanted Gigabit in the house and gotta say, its been good. Besides making backups go faster because of upping the internal ethernet network to giga speeds, the N wireless is much faster and more powerful than the speeds I got with a bridged D-Link N router. I have the 35/35 package and get 34/28 wirelessly at the other end of the house on my wife's PC (was getting 23/20 before) and my PC (ethernet) is getting 43/32. Would have been nice to get for free, but I'm not complaining.
Alphasite
join:2005-07-27
Plano, TX

Alphasite

I got a new Actiontec Rev. I yesterday. I had added FiOS Internet to my DoublePlay and even though I had a router they gave me a new one.

The wireless speeds are faster than what I got with the Westell and Actiontec Rev. C. With those I could only get ~17/17. With the Rev. I get ~30/25.
Klownicle
join:2005-03-15
Sarasota, FL

Klownicle to jmcging

to jmcging
I hate to say, but I just walked into my verizon store asked for the Rev I GigaN Router and walked out no questions asked. Why did you have to pay?

Spoke with a Verizon Office personel. He instructed me just come on it and request a replacement for a "defective router" and without even asking. They just told the person at the counter to do a Router replacement and handed me the Wireless N Rev I model.

Loving it. Anxious to try my HD Streaming when im off from work.

RScottyL
join:2004-12-28
Arlington, TX

RScottyL

Did you take your old one to switch out, or did they ask for it?

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to Klownicle

to Klownicle
said by Klownicle:

HD streaming online is at most 10mbs (I know of NO source streaming online higher then that) and I have never had trouble streaming anything online with my Rev D Actiontec with Wireless-G. Transferring files I routinely get the normal 20-25mbs to my laptops.

The only HD source wireless-G would have problems with would be bluray masters. What source HD streaming are you having issues with atm?
Klownicle
Sarasota, FL

2 edits

Klownicle

Ceton PCI-e Quad Tuner WMC Streaming.

My house didn't have the greatest signal with the Wireless G router, and I installed a EDiMax Thumb Nano N Adaptor

It seems that I didn't need much but it still would struggle. With the Wireless N nano adaptor being used as a USB SoftAccess Point, connection improved greatly almost to perfection. So Im hoping this REAL N Access Point is better.

The Ceton seems to do 2-2.5 megabyte's in bw. BTW

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by Klownicle:

Ceton PCI-e Quad Tuner WMC Streaming.
The Ceton seems to do 2-2.5 megabyte's in bw. BTW

Ok, I thought you were referring to online HD streaming. I think the max mpeg2 stream for FIOS is around 18mbs so makes sense you might have some stuttering if the signal is not strong enough.

BTW I think you meant 2-2.5 MB/s.

mfox2064
@verizon.net

mfox2064 to jmcging

Anon

to jmcging
Which model a-tec device r u referring to ?

Thanks
jmcging
join:2005-08-04
Columbia, MD

jmcging

»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· yDetails

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Klownicle

Premium Member

to Klownicle
said by Klownicle:

I hate to say, but I just walked into my verizon store asked for the Rev I GigaN Router and walked out no questions asked. Why did you have to pay?

Spoke with a Verizon Office personel. He instructed me just come on it and request a replacement for a "defective router" and without even asking. They just told the person at the counter to do a Router replacement and handed me the Wireless N Rev I model.

Does it have MoCA 2.0 or is it still 1.1?

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00

Rev I is MoCA 1.1.

Don't think we'll see MoCA 2.0 for a while. Though I can't wait. I have four routers in my house and the Rev I solved a number of performance issues. MoCA 2.0 would improve even more of them.

Unfortunately I can't wire Cat-5e/6 where I am so I make due with the Actiontecs which are the Swiss Army knives of the router world.
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94 to jmcging

to jmcging
The first production MoCA 2.0 silicon shipped earlier this week, so, with any luck, 2.0 should be present in the next released version of the MI424WR.
»www.marketwatch.com/stor ··· 12-05-21

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by tennisman94:

with any luck, 2.0 should be present in the next released version of the MI424WR.

That presumes VZ has a compelling business case to do so.
rmckofke
join:2001-05-15
Staten Island, NY

rmckofke to tennisman94

to tennisman94
I'm running a three year old Rev. D with a Linksys 54GL piggybacked on it, and I've been heavily considering an upgrade to a dial band router - the Airport Extreme to be specific, but if I can replace both with a NEW Rev I router at n speeds I'm happy to do it. Assuming they don;t just hand me one to swap out, how much is VZ charging for this new router? If it's cheaper than the Airport Extreme then I'm all in.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by rmckofke:

how much is VZ charging for this new router?

The link to the router was already posted.
»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· yDetails
rmckofke
Staten Island, NY

rmckofke

thanks, I missed it - it's cheaper than the apple router too! I'll see if they go for a swap first.
rmckofke

rmckofke

assuming I go to the store and they don't have any Rev. I AT's or they simply refuse to swap it for my current AT, if I order it from the posted link I assume that I'll need to contact Verizon and have them "flick the switch" and turn it on when I connect it (like the STBs) ?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Routers are not activated - they just work.

However, you should do a DHCP release on the old router before hooking up the new one so you don't get locked out until the DHCP lease expires. If you have issues pulling an IP address, a quick call to Verizon should fix it.
rmckofke
Staten Island, NY

rmckofke

I just called the store and they said that they wouldn't swap it for a new one unless they were instructed to by support so I'll need to call them first - I guess I'll just order the router on my own and pony up the $$
Klownicle
Sarasota, FL

Klownicle

I walked in and they switched my router (old rev e/d) out as a repair. It was pushed by a fiber tech in the office that I meant the other day. He just handed them the router and said run it as a repair and take the old router.

So ie; just like if you were switching out a set-top-box.

Wasn't charged a thing. Maybe it helps if you know someone I don't know. But didn't seem like that big of a issue. No one made a fuss about it.

What the tech told me, is just bring it in and say its broken that they give out the new wireless n routers as standard now.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to jmcging

Premium Member

to jmcging
Just got my RevI today from a VZ tech I found

JLKSJD
@verizon.net

JLKSJD to rmckofke

Anon

to rmckofke
It seems that if you are in a big market like NY they don't allow these types of free "upgrades."

I tried swapping my old model DVR for the new 7232 model and they said that they don't have any in stock. A few months ago all stores in the NY Metro area, when called, claimed that these DVRs are available only via online odering, i.e. paying a fee.

I guess if there is too much of a demand for a free upgrade they will ration the supply to cut costs.