spc
Search similar:

uniqs
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

[Rant] Thomas English Muffins

Well they are another food I USED TO LOVE thats changed recipe!

Recently i bought some again after MANY YEARS and i discovered they changed thier recipe after all these years!!

They now use UNBLEACHED FLOUR AND NONFAT MILK and they do not taste anywhere near as good as they used to! (They used to use ENRICHED FLOUR and REG MILK)

Im sick of companies making stupid changes like this FORCING EVERYONE TO EAT THIS STUFF THIS CRAP THAT DOESNT TASTE AS GOOD!!!!!!

They wanna change it FINE but leave the "Original" as it always was: ORIGINAL!!!!

Does anyone know of OTHER english muffins makers that STILL USE ENRICHED FLOUR AND REG MILK?? (I still like Thomas's but not nearly as much)

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut

said by 19579823:

Recently i bought some again after MANY YEARS and i discovered they changed thier recipe after all these years!!

They now use UNBLEACHED FLOUR AND NONFAT MILK and they do not taste anywhere near as good as they used to! (They used to use ENRICHED FLOUR and REG MILK)

Im sick of companies making stupid changes like this FORCING EVERYONE TO EAT THIS STUFF THIS CRAP THAT DOESNT TASTE AS GOOD!!!!!!

They wanna change it FINE but leave the "Original" as it always was: ORIGINAL!!!!

Does anyone know of OTHER english muffins makers that STILL USE ENRICHED FLOUR AND REG MILK?? (I still like Thomas's but not nearly as much)

Would it be okay if it had meat glue in them?

»seattletimes.nwsource.co ··· e11.html

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show
join:2000-01-05
Lynn, MA

Madness to 19579823

to 19579823
I always by the store brand. Much cheaper & I can't tell much of a difference!
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH to 19579823

to 19579823
I guess I should admire your ability to make such a measured distinction. Maybe I'm just too easy to please, but I've been buying Thomas for years. Where I shop, they're usually easier to find than Bay's and the taste/quality of the muffin is okay by me. All I've ever done with them is toast/butter...maybe you're doing something different? Thomas is a little better than the store brands I've had.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Thomas's promises.

Seriously, if they taste lousy, go check out King Arthur Flour Company. They have mixes and pans to make your own.

Or you can buy the various ingredients and do things your way.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
I liked them better when they were 29 cents a package.

Yes, I do remember.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH
said by AZinOH:

I guess I should admire your ability to make such a measured distinction.

Especially given that he last ate the old recipe several years ago, but can still remember the nuances of taste well enough to detect the difference.

A cynic might be tempted to dismiss his claims of being able to taste the difference as complete horseshit.

Still, it's nothing that a bit of scientific double-blind testing can't resolve, eh? Anyone got any old "english" muffins?

In a footnote, I'm amused by the fact that he pines for the days when they adulterated flour with bleach.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

said by dave:

In a footnote, I'm amused by the fact that he pines for the days when they adulterated flour with bleach.

But they put all of the nutrients back into the muffins after they bleached them out.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to AZinOH

to AZinOH

said by AZinOH :
Thank you buddy

I used to love CHIPS AHOY for years,then they changed to UNBLEACHED FLOUR and they taste like crap (To me anyway,that good taste isnt there anymore)

I tried to email them about it but it didnt do any good... Now im eating CHIPS DELUXE and they are delicious!! (They dont use Caramel Colour either,they color the cookies WITH BETTER INGREDIENTS!!)
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to 19579823

to 19579823

Re: [Rant] Thomas English Muffins

Rather than complain about packaged food ingredient changes, perhaps you should put that incredible sense of taste to work doing something beneficial, like testing food for dignitaries or something. I almost think that you occasionally check the ingredient list of foods you eat just to see if something has changed so that you can use it as an excuse to complain. "OH! THEY USE RED 40 now INSTEAD OF 39! OMG! I remember when THINGS USED to TASTE GOOD! NOW they SUCK!"

Nobody else notices stuff like this, seriously. That or I have no sense of taste... either way, it's a blessing that I don't pick up on these apparently apocalyptic ingredient changes.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Alternatively, perhaps someone with such exquisite taste should try eating actual food

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to Madness

Premium Member

to Madness
said by Madness:

I always by the store brand. Much cheaper & I can't tell much of a difference!

From my experience, there's a big difference.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to Moffetts

to Moffetts

quote:
Nobody else notices stuff like this.....
I know,thats what makes it hard for those of us THAT DO!!

These idiotic companies know that 99% of ppl WILL NOT NOTICE if they change it so they quietly do...... (Either to make it cheaper for THEM or whatever)

Very sad and upsetting.........
bt06437
join:2001-12-03
Carrollton, TX

bt06437 to 19579823

to 19579823

This is the same thing Lenders did to their Bagels. Lost the texture, taste. I no longer but any of their stuff.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to 19579823

MVM

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

Depends on what you want to spend.

A tad pricey, but awesome English muffins. Not wimpy in size either.

Ref: »www.wolfermans.com/gifts ··· -muffins
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH to bt06437

to bt06437
said by bt06437:

This is the same thing Lenders did to their Bagels. Lost the texture, taste. I no longer but any of their stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, Lenders is in the same league with Thomas..an acceptable product conveniently available for a usually reasonable price at your local market. If you really desire something better, you can either find a local bakery/deli that does it better and pay what that costs or make 'em yourself. The choice is yours. QED.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to bt06437

to bt06437

quote:
This is the same thing Lenders did to their Bagels. Lost the texture, taste. I no longer buy any of their stuff.
I hope you emailed them about it...... Its not good to just walk away letting them think they can do whatever they want W/O question

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Lenders? Please....they have always been at the bottom of the barrel.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to Johkal

to Johkal
quote:
A tad pricey, but awesome English muffins. Not wimpy in size either.
Ya i saw them in my google searches earlier bud,i didnt see any ingredients listed...

Do you happen to know what they use?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Here's an article about comparable English muffins & their ingredients:

»www.seriouseats.com/2009 ··· yer.html

From the article:

"Ingredients

All four had a similar mix of recognizable ingredients like flour, water, and yeast alongside things like calcium sulfate, which is considered harmless but has been used to kill rodents. The Trader Joe’s and Wolferman’s muffins, which were noticeably fluffier than the rest, use bleached flour while the others use unbleached. Only the Fred Meyer brand contained high fructose corn syrup. In fact, the Thomas' label proudly proclaims they no longer use HFCS—an ingredient with a questionable role in obesity that still strikes me (and Michael Pollan) as environmentally unsound."
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
There is a nutritional link at the bottom of the page. »www.wolfermans.com/image ··· ORIG.JPG

Thanks for bringing this up. I had noticed a change in the taste I remembered of Thomas from my long ago youth, but never bothered to figure out any ingredient changes. I thought it was just what happened to some people's sense of taste as you get older. You are correct, they should not be labeling these Original.
davidhoffman

1 recommendation

davidhoffman to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal

Thanks for bringing the producer to our attention. The stuff looks interesting enough to buy.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Yes they sure do!!!!!!!

I wonder if they sell them anywhere around here,ill have to look....

fruhead
join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ

fruhead to 19579823

to 19579823

said by 19579823:

um...
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

1 edit

19579823 (banned)

I just got some from Aldi's today and i love them!!!!!

They use WATER instead of any milk but most importantly they use ENRICHED FLOUR and they taste wonderful! (Like Thomas's used to)

They are MUCH THICKER also........ (99 cents -- Cant beat that price)

Aldi's has always been good for finding ALTERNATIVE food that isnt in MAINSTREAM stores.....

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

said by 19579823:

Stop buying them and stop supporting their products. Start cooking your own and you'll have FULL control over what goes into your food.

Here's a recipe for English muffins:
»allrecipes.com/recipe/en ··· muffins/

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by DocDrew:

said by 19579823:

Stop buying them and stop supporting their products. Start cooking your own and you'll have FULL control over what goes into your food.

Here's a recipe for English muffins:
»allrecipes.com/recipe/en ··· muffins/

I still use Thomas English Muffins but they are not cheap.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Try the ones @ Aldis bud,MUCH BETTER!!!!!! (Like Thomas's were years ago)

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

said by 19579823:

Dude111, does ANYTHING have whole milk anymore?
i HATE HATE HATE when a top brand bastardizes their recipe to save a penny or two per unit because theres nobody to go to.

stouffers did that to their whole line when kraft got a hold of them!!1
dvd536

dvd536 to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

said by AZinOH:

Especially given that he last ate the old recipe several years ago, but can still remember the nuances of taste well enough to detect the difference.

A cynic might be tempted to dismiss his claims of being able to taste the difference as complete horseshit.

Still, it's nothing that a bit of scientific double-blind testing can't resolve, eh? Anyone got any old "english" muffins?

Some of us *do* have sensitive palates and can taste the difference.

One day i noticed hamburger helper had a flatter taste and sure enough on the box was "now better tasting", yeah that was code for "now we have maltodextrin in us"