davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

There is a nutritional link at the bottom of the page. »www.wolfermans.com/image ··· ORIG.JPG

Thanks for bringing this up. I had noticed a change in the taste I remembered of Thomas from my long ago youth, but never bothered to figure out any ingredient changes. I thought it was just what happened to some people's sense of taste as you get older. You are correct, they should not be labeling these Original.
davidhoffman

1 recommendation

davidhoffman to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal

Re: [Rant] Thomas English Muffins

Thanks for bringing the producer to our attention. The stuff looks interesting enough to buy.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Yes they sure do!!!!!!!

I wonder if they sell them anywhere around here,ill have to look....

fruhead
join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ

fruhead to 19579823

to 19579823

said by 19579823:

Im sick of companies making stupid changes like this FORCING EVERYONE TO EAT THIS STUFF THIS CRAP THAT DOESNT TASTE AS GOOD!!!!!!

um...
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

1 edit

19579823 (banned)

I just got some from Aldi's today and i love them!!!!!

They use WATER instead of any milk but most importantly they use ENRICHED FLOUR and they taste wonderful! (Like Thomas's used to)

They are MUCH THICKER also........ (99 cents -- Cant beat that price)

Aldi's has always been good for finding ALTERNATIVE food that isnt in MAINSTREAM stores.....

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

said by 19579823:

Well they are another food I USED TO LOVE thats changed recipe!

Stop buying them and stop supporting their products. Start cooking your own and you'll have FULL control over what goes into your food.

Here's a recipe for English muffins:
»allrecipes.com/recipe/en ··· muffins/

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by DocDrew:

said by 19579823:

Stop buying them and stop supporting their products. Start cooking your own and you'll have FULL control over what goes into your food.

Here's a recipe for English muffins:
»allrecipes.com/recipe/en ··· muffins/

I still use Thomas English Muffins but they are not cheap.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Try the ones @ Aldis bud,MUCH BETTER!!!!!! (Like Thomas's were years ago)

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

said by 19579823:

Recently i bought some again after MANY YEARS and i discovered they changed thier recipe after all these years!!

They now use UNBLEACHED FLOUR AND NONFAT MILK and they do not taste anywhere near as good as they used to! (They used to use ENRICHED FLOUR and REG MILK)

Im sick of companies making stupid changes like this FORCING EVERYONE TO EAT THIS STUFF THIS CRAP THAT DOESNT TASTE AS GOOD!!!!!!

They wanna change it FINE but leave the "Original" as it always was: ORIGINAL!!!!

Does anyone know of OTHER english muffins makers that STILL USE ENRICHED FLOUR AND REG MILK?? (I still like Thomas's but not nearly as much)

Dude111, does ANYTHING have whole milk anymore?
i HATE HATE HATE when a top brand bastardizes their recipe to save a penny or two per unit because theres nobody to go to.

stouffers did that to their whole line when kraft got a hold of them!!1
dvd536

dvd536 to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

said by AZinOH:

I guess I should admire your ability to make such a measured distinction.

Especially given that he last ate the old recipe several years ago, but can still remember the nuances of taste well enough to detect the difference.

A cynic might be tempted to dismiss his claims of being able to taste the difference as complete horseshit.

Still, it's nothing that a bit of scientific double-blind testing can't resolve, eh? Anyone got any old "english" muffins?

In a footnote, I'm amused by the fact that he pines for the days when they adulterated flour with bleach.

Some of us *do* have sensitive palates and can taste the difference.

One day i noticed hamburger helper had a flatter taste and sure enough on the box was "now better tasting", yeah that was code for "now we have maltodextrin in us"
dvd536

dvd536 to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

said by 19579823:

said by AZinOH :
I guess I should admire your ability to make such a measured distinction.
Thank you buddy

I used to love CHIPS AHOY for years,then they changed to UNBLEACHED FLOUR and they taste like crap (To me anyway,that good taste isnt there anymore)

I tried to email them about it but it didnt do any good... Now im eating CHIPS DELUXE and they are delicious!! (They dont use Caramel Colour either,they color the cookies WITH BETTER INGREDIENTS!!)

I quit chips ahoy when they halved the number of chips/cookie.
dvd536

dvd536 to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

quote:
This is the same thing Lenders did to their Bagels. Lost the texture, taste. I no longer buy any of their stuff.
I hope you emailed them about it...... Its not good to just walk away letting them think they can do whatever they want W/O question

complaint emails route to /dev/nul. you should know that by now Dude111!
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 edit

dave to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536

said by dvd536:

Some of us *do* have sensitive palates and can taste the difference.

And yet all of you sensitive-palate types love to buy the mass-produced products of very large corporations.

(I am reminded of the Classic-Coke-v-New-Coke non-issue: my view was that I don't see why I'd care whether I can discriminate between two different versions of vile).

But my point with the dude was not that he couldn't tell the difference, but he claimed to be able to tell the difference between a product he ate 'now' and a product that he ate several years ago. I don't find that very credible: the memory for taste is elusive, and ones ability to taste changes over the years.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Well i remember tihngs buddy

And YES DVD,a few candy bars are still made with WHOLE MILK.... (Well it says MILK on the wrapper (Not skim or NONFAT so i assume its reg milk))
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to dave

Premium Member

to dave

A mass produced product does not have to taste bad. I buy frozen berries, frozen sliced peaches, raisins, dried apricots, dried plums, frozen vegetables, almonds, walnuts, pecans, and other products that are mass produced. They may not taste exactly like they do fresh from the garden, but it is good enough. The issue with highly processed foods is that the manufacturers change recipes to meet price points instead of keeping the flavor and charging more. many of us would rather they raised prices than change the recipe. I have dealt with this in pizza, where both chain pizzerias and independent pizzerias altered recipes instead of passing on cost. It drove me nuts to never have the same amount of sauce or toppings for the exact same order. One time too little, the next time too much. I would rather the product was treated like milk. I get a specific volume of a particular product, a gallon of fat free milk, but the price varies day to day. I can deal with price fluctuations, and I think most consumers can to. Keep the recipes, change the prices.

The real problems with Coca-Cola were not only Old Coke Versus New Coke and stupid creations like Vanilla-Coke, it is soda-pop made with real sugar vs. soda-pop made with corn syrup. I get the Mexican versions of USA colas made with real sugar, and they taste much better than the corn syrup stuff we usually get in the USA. There are lemon, lime and lemon-lime soda-pops made with real fruit juice and sugar that taste great. Corn syrup degrades the flavors and taste sensations of drinks. We need to get rid of it in beverages.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
Why don't you make your own food, from scratch then?

All you do is complain about how things change. Words of advice: deal with it.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
OK, I'll grant you that I should have written 'highly-processed' rather than 'mass-produced'.

Having just got back from dinner at my favourite local Italian restaurant (I wouldn't even consider going to a big chain for pizza), I can report that the Al Pesto pizza still tastes the way it usually does. I agree that I'd rather they charged me extra than skimped on ingredients, but on the other hand, I don't rate "exactly the same every time I go" as an especially desirable quality.

I'll take your word on corn-syrup versus sugar, but as I don't generally care for the big company sodas in either form, I don't much care. This stuff seems ok and they claim to use cane sugar.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Yes, we have that GUS in the Fresh Market store in Macon. Good beverages.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
Apropos pizzerias changing recipes:

Naples chefs take sides.

(bellimbusto111 says 'pizzas were better in the 1950s....')

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain to 19579823

to 19579823

Re:  

said by 19579823:

Aldi's has always been good for finding ALTERNATIVE food that isnt in MAINSTREAM stores.....

Isn't that the food stamp grocery with a whole aisle dedicated to Velveeta cheese "product?"
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

The Aldi in my city is not like that. A great variety of people use it because it can be faster to shop in than the regular Kroger or Publix and has a better selection than the corner gas station or drug store quick market. The one we have is located near a selection of motels and a technology park. It seems to get a good deal of business from both areas. For in room motel dining and office party/snack bar supplies. There is a Target and a Kroger within 100 yards, so it has competition. The only real downside I have found is that the beef is USDA Select and not the USDA Choice I usually like to buy, when I can afford to buy beef. It is a neat niche store to me.