join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS

[request] Multiple New DSLR Membership Levels

Let's add Three Membership levels above Premium.

Endowment, Benefactor, AND LIFE.

One is $50 one time, or an additional $35 if you are already a Premium member.

The other is a commitment of at least $10/yr, to keep DSLR from falling apart again.

The last is a LIFE MEMBER, a $100 CONTRIBUTION.

I would gladly do THE THIRD OPTION.

Anyone else with me on this???
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET
Expand your moderator at work

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to KA3SGM

Re: Multiple New DSLR Membership Levels

*SIGN*

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
reply to KA3SGM
Other than a different tag on your account, what would a "higher" level get you (capabilities, features, etc.)?

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

reply to KA3SGM
said by KA3SGM:

Let's add Three Membership levels above Premium.

Endowment, Benefactor, AND LIFE.

One is $50 one time, or an additional $35 if you are already a Premium member.

The other is a commitment of at least $10/yr, to keep DSLR from falling apart again.

The last is a LIFE MEMBER, a $100 CONTRIBUTION.

I would gladly do THE THIRD OPTION.

Anyone else with me on this???

You do realize that this site makes enough money that the $28,000 he had to spend was a drop in the bucket, right? And justin See Profile came right out and said that it was entirely preventable had the site not been on Autopilot for the last year or so?

*object* because I hate throwing good money after bad.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to GlennAllen
said by GlennAllen:

Other than a different tag on your account, what would a "higher" level get you (capabilities, features, etc.)?

Well, for one, a very popular site that doesn't disappear for over 2 weeks at a time.

I'm sure Justin
can think up some additional incentives, if he wants the added support from BBR users/members.

There are already other sites like this one that charge $10/mo. or more.

You could always chose to remain "Anon", or "Premium", but have the option to show much more support for the site, but only if you want to.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to KA3SGM
*OBJECT*

Why everything should be measured / valued by money? (especially the membership) Your contribution to discussions in this forum could be way more valuable, than any amount of money you may give here...

You may ask for $, $$, $$$, $$$$ etc flag (additionally to the old and obsolete stars here) assigned to any member, but please let me know upfront how to filter that flag with "how I see people" feature, 'cause I'm certainly going to use it.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to KA3SGM
Well, you can buy some Tool Points and not use them [much]. As far as showing some "contribution" level is concerned... don't care about such displays myself--that's about as impressive to me as how long someone's been a member. I'm not against such a plan to provide funds for improving the site in some way, but it would need to be made clear just what improvements are planned instead of being some nebulous "my membership is bigger than yours" kind of thing. At this point, I don't "see the need" (because no responsible party has said that there is a need).

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
West Chester, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
said by GlennAllen:

Well, you can buy some Tool Points and not use them [much]. As far as showing some "contribution" level is concerned... don't care about such displays myself--that's about as impressive to me as how long someone's been a member. I'm not against such a plan to provide funds for improving the site in some way, but it would need to be made clear just what improvements are planned instead of being some nebulous "my membership is bigger than yours" kind of thing. At this point, I don't "see the need" (because no responsible party has said that there is a need).

I already buy tool points, but I use them, to Gift premium membership to people on DSLR.

A mod could please confirm the actual number, but my count is over 15 "Paid Premium" memberships.

I pay to support DSLR, and it's members.

Nobody extorts my money from me, I donate it to DSLR, as a charitable cause.

And I pay taxes on my donations, this isn't a 501.c3.
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
reply to KA3SGM
said by KA3SGM:

There are already other sites like this one that charge $10/mo. or more.

Such as?

A non

@151.190.0.x
reply to KA3SGM
said by KA3SGM:

said by GlennAllen:

Well, for one, a very popular site that doesn't disappear for over 2 weeks at a time.

More money would NOT have prevented the outage.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
said by A non :

said by KA3SGM:

said by GlennAllen:

More money would NOT have prevented the outage.

My point exactly.

I would like to see the site moved away from the worthless data center it is at and moved to a true cloud system with actual backups.

Truth be told, the $28,000 would not have been required if backups were done on a schedule of more than every 18 months as most of that cost was (as I understand it) data recovery lab fees.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

JJJohnson

join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO
reply to KA3SGM
Anyone who can afford $28,000 to fix a web site hosting little more than discussion forums does not need my financial help. If this site wasn't profitable from advertising revenue it would have disappeared after the massive N-way screwup by those who apparently spend so little little time and effort running it.

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
reply to KA3SGM
*Object*
Expand your moderator at work