All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
avp77
join:2010-07-10

avp77

Distributel now offering Huawei MT130U as DOCSIS3 option

According to their website, for the faster cable packages Distributel is now offering the Huawei MT130U modem.

Interestingly, the internet seems entirely barren of any information about it, other than a few posts on the Acanac forums. Anybody have any ideas/opinions about this? Do these modems have any kind of reputation? I don't know what advantage they would have over the Thomson/Technicolor, other than I assume a lower purchase cost for the ISP.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

Many governments have banned the use of Huawei equipment by their incumbents out of fear that they might have Chinese backdoors built-in. That might partly explain why there are almost no references to it beyond DSLR and Acanac. Few are in any hurry to buy Huawei stuff until they clear their name.

Scarce information on OEM/provider-only bulk-sale items is not unheard of, Alcatel does little more than acknowledge that the Cellpipe 7130 exists with a very sparse spec sheet.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

Same goes for those Camatel modems pushed by Acanac. On a good note, they're good units, most likely bcm chipset and the price ain't bad either.

adisor19
join:2004-10-11

adisor19 to avp77

to avp77
Ok so this pretty much guarantees that their IPTV units will be made by Huawei.

Adi

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
I wouldn't touch that Huawei stuff either, who knows what backdoors are in the product.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to avp77

to avp77
I have a Huawei HSPA+ data stick, seems to do the job.

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
Very likely you won't see spying on cheapo CPE equipments as they are a lot more cost sensitive down to the $0.20 capacitors.

As an individual, you have almost no value for spying by China. Would you worry about what .iso you download or what you thing about our emperor Harper? We are not exactly next door neighbor to China here. Worry about being spy on by the Canadian government and the US first as that can get you into hot water easily.

The part that governments worry about are their telecom gear for the providers. U.S. have certainly worked with companies to sneak spying equipments into copiers/printers etc. so they fear the same done to them.

You can wear your tin foil hat as much as you want, but almost everything consumer buy is made in China these days including the brands that you trusts...
KC7
join:2006-11-08
Ottawa, ON

KC7 to avp77

to avp77
As for backdoors the most likely excuse for one is plain laziness. How about this story about a Canadian company:

»arstechnica.com/business ··· systems/

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to avp77

Premium Member

to avp77
I think a built-in backdoor on any type of mass-produced modem would be too-easily detectable, and how long do you think it would take some 13 year old to figure it out, and broadcast it to the world, and then re-package some alternative firmware for the modem, minus the spyware?

The financial and reputational cost to China would be very high.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Ah here lies the rub, if they have a US presence, they'd go after the 13yr old kid for DMCA violations. Reverse engineering their IP.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to avp77

Premium Member

to avp77
I've been thinking about this, why would Rogers allow something like this , an unknown entity, on their network, yet not allow us to use the Motorola 61xx Docsis 3 modems?

It makes no sense at all.

ohmer
join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC

ohmer

said by elwoodblues:

I've been thinking about this, why would Rogers allow something like this , an unknown entity, on their network, yet not allow us to use the Motorola 61xx Docsis 3 modems?

I'm sure Acanac paid big money to be able to use this modem (it's in the tariff).
avp77

avp77 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

According to this piece, Huawei just opened big offices in Ontario, maybe that had an influence?:

»www.cbc.ca/news/politics ··· ada.html

(Though I don't agree with the level of fear-mongering in the article)
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to InvalidError

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

Many governments have banned the use of Huawei equipment by their incumbents out of fear that they might have Chinese backdoors built-in. That might partly explain why there are almost no references to it beyond DSLR and Acanac. Few are in any hurry to buy Huawei stuff until they clear their name.

Scarce information on OEM/provider-only bulk-sale items is not unheard of, Alcatel does little more than acknowledge that the Cellpipe 7130 exists with a very sparse spec sheet.

lol clear there name of what all we all have is the USA saying without any proof them dastardly Chinese are up to no good.
if a back door gets discovered there history ....get the hint ....its just propganda after all 230+ fbi agents are running around canada for a long time and we never here what they are spying on.....
funny0

funny0 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I wouldn't touch that Huawei stuff either, who knows what backdoors are in the product.

just leav e pron and you will be loved ROFL paranoia and all you USE based hardware BY law has to have backdoors in it as well as software now....so what are you after really ...its ok for americans to spy on you but not chinese? ROFL what a joke...
funny0

funny0 to El Quintron

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

I think a built-in backdoor on any type of mass-produced modem would be too-easily detectable, and how long do you think it would take some 13 year old to figure it out, and broadcast it to the world, and then re-package some alternative firmware for the modem, minus the spyware?

The financial and reputational cost to China would be very high.

ya mean like windows xp windows vista and windows 7?
na never happened with xp and vista no really honest.
funny0

funny0 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Ah here lies the rub, if they have a US presence, they'd go after the 13yr old kid for DMCA violations. Reverse engineering their IP.

except im in canada and even the new copyright law has exception for the purposes of security in a weird way as i recall.
funny0

funny0 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

rogers is constantly spying and they even started off and i think may still use American security systems and people. SO what you think they are honest and wont abuse stuff right?

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable to funny0

Anon

to funny0
Huawei has an Ottawa R&D center. With the fall of Nortel, bad economy etc. not a bad thing to bring some tech employment to this dying town.

It is always good to use some leverage as well as some hedging with the Americans. May be we can add some RFQ for Chinese fighters too?

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

I'm just glad that somebody is investing in local manufacturing. Too much of it is pulling out and heading off to China. Good to see some come back and take advantage of our skilled workforce and decent infrastructure. I've been involved with a company that got shaken up pretty bad because 2 of their large industrial clients decided to close up shop here in Ontario.

A foreign government doesn't give a flyin' fuck about what a Canadian individual is doing with his home Internet account. Those backdoors would kill the company's sales, so chances are that they aren't in there in the first place.

DavidT8
She turned me into a newt
join:2006-09-01
Oakville, ON

DavidT8 to avp77

to avp77
Just put a piece of tinfoil over the modem. Problem solved.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

yet not allow us to use the Motorola 61xx Docsis 3 modems?

Yet there are tons of Motorola 61xx modems in use on Rogers network.

aqk
join:2006-07-17
Elgin, QC

aqk to FiReSTaRT

to FiReSTaRT

Re: Bell now offering Huawei celltowers as an option.

said by FiReSTaRT:

A foreign government doesn't give a flyin' fuck about what a Canadian individual is doing with his home Internet account. Those backdoors would kill the company's sales, so chances are that they aren't in there in the first place.

But they MAY be in the new Huawei/Bell Mobility Canadian cell towers along the US border, listening to any US phone transmissions that the Chinese may find interesting.
If you think this is far-fetched, consider the US EP3 planes that continuously fly dangerously close to the Chinese mainland, in Taiwan straits, and the south China sea, listening, listening.
China has to get back at the US somehow.

shrug
@videotron.ca

shrug

Anon

I'd rather have a chinese back-doored modem than an American back-doored modem.

Pick your poison.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170

Re: Distributel now offering Huawei MT130U as DOCSIS3 option

said by 34764170:

said by elwoodblues:

yet not allow us to use the Motorola 61xx Docsis 3 modems?

Yet there are tons of Motorola 61xx modems in use on Rogers network.

I know but they refuse to provision new ones... but I'll wait till the 5100 dies (and/or a speed increase exceeds the modem's capability).

aqk
join:2006-07-17
Elgin, QC

aqk to avp77

to avp77

Re: Huawei MT130U as DOCSIS3 option? WOW!

Now!
With extra added "FLAME" integrated cellular accelerator!
Much more powerful than the old outdated "STUXNET" enhancement!
And- Works with Windows too!
YOU CAN TRUST HUAWEI!
avp77

avp77

Re: Distributel now offering Huawei MT130U as DOCSIS3 option

I'm disappointed that my thread which was just asking about any practical info about this new modem turned into irrational crazyness
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I know but they refuse to provision new ones... but I'll wait till the 5100 dies (and/or a speed increase exceeds the modem's capability).

They're doing so because the modems do not have the appropriate firmware revision.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by elwoodblues:

They're doing so because the modems do not have the appropriate firmware revision.

They pushed the firmware out to all the 6120's quite a while ago.

Fergless
Premium Member
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Fergless

Premium Member

quote:
They pushed the firmware out to all the 6120's quite a while ago.
That's correct, however I don't think they will push 1.0.6.1 to anything not on their network already. I got mine, like you say quite some time ago.

Edited Firmware