Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to dave

Premium Member

to dave

Re: [Rant] Ipods are Garbage

Itunes makes no sense. You should just be able to connect it your computer and drag and drop files to the drive like any flash memory, every other media player does this.
Using a program to communicate to your device to copy files is really old school like in the days of having to use com ports and dos.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Not that I'm trying to defend Apple, but they apparently aim to be more than that. The focus is not on 'the device' but media library management. Sure, if all you want is an untethered device, it's a poor fit, but that's not what they're making.

I'd say the notion that you treat a music-playing device like a stupid file device rather than part of an integrated system is the 'old school' approach. My complaint is more that I can't manage the iThing with Windows Media Player.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG

Premium Member

said by dave:

I'd say the notion that you treat a music-playing device like a stupid file device rather than part of an integrated system is the 'old school' approach.

Ideally they should give the user the choice of what method the user wants to use to put data onto the device.

Personally I'm sick and tired of portable devices that require proprietary software and don't have an option for USB Mass Storage (whereby the device behaves like a simple flash drive when connected to a computer).

Sometimes there are situations where you just want to quickly drop a couple files onto a device from a computer that does not have the proprietary software installed.

Unfortunately it's not only Apple that is doing it.

Generally speaking with most consumer technological devices, the more technology progresses the less control we have over the devices we own. Sad but true.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

Not that I'm trying to defend Apple, but they apparently aim to be more than that. The focus is not on 'the device' but media library management. Sure, if all you want is an untethered device, it's a poor fit, but that's not what they're making.

I'd say the notion that you treat a music-playing device like a stupid file device rather than part of an integrated system is the 'old school' approach. My complaint is more that I can't manage the iThing with Windows Media Player.

Any media player or any computer is "stupid" file device with the device having software on it to play the files. You copy files to it easily and play them with the software.
The ipod not being a "stupid" file device but instead using proprietary file transfer software which is like I said very old school not revolutionary technology.
Before USB there were not file transfer standards or plug and play devices, you would need unique software and drivers for your portable device to copy files to it. The Ipod is old school instead of plug and play using generic file transfer standards to work on any computer.

As for music management, every other media player works as a generic file transfer or with software like itunes if you want to organize your library inside a program.
This way you can plug your device onto any computer and copy files/music in seconds even without an internet connection or you can choose to use music management software if you want.

I dont have any apple products, but it pisses me off when someone wants me to copy some songs or setup something on their ipod and then you have to jump through itunes hoops and itunes just gives you errors instead of working so you cant do what the person needing help needs.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by r81984:

...but it pisses me off when someone wants me to copy some songs or setup something on their ipod and then you have to jump through itunes hoops and itunes just gives you errors instead of working so you cant do what the person needing help needs.

Pisses you off ? What happens when real life issues come up ?

Tell them, "No, I can't. Ipods need to use iTunes and I don't have that."

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

Real life issues are manageable, but certainly can be frustrating.
Ipods just dont work which pisses me off especially when someone tells you what they paid for the non working device.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by r81984:

Ipods just dont work...

Classic statement
nocannothave
join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA

nocannothave to r81984

to r81984
said by r81984:

Ipods just dont work which pisses me off especially when someone tells you what they paid for the non working device.

My Classic (purchased in December 2008) tumbled off the roof of my car at ~45 mp/h eight months ago. The Marware silicone case is torn on a corner, and the same corner of the device is slightly chewed up.

It works... >_>

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

Itunes makes no sense. You should just be able to connect it your computer and drag and drop files to the drive like any flash memory, every other media player does this.
Using a program to communicate to your device to copy files is really old school like in the days of having to use com ports and dos.

Apple allows all iDevices to be used as disk mode. You simply check Enabled Disk Usage, or something like that, the first time you plug it in. This is needed for our Linux users.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by J E F F4:

Apple allows all iDevices to be used as disk mode. You simply check Enabled Disk Usage, or something like that, the first time you plug it in. This is needed for our Linux users.

I don't think that is true for iPod Touch devices.