join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

[Extension] Prevent background tabs from wasting resources

Preventing background tabs from wasting your computer's resources
· 2012-05-12 13:27 by Wladimir Palant
quote:
Taras recently blogged on how websites manage to ruin Firefox performance by continuing to do something even though their tab is no longer active — they keep updating the view that you cannot see. He wondered whether it would be possible to suspend these tabs from an extension. I looked into this and there is a way to suspend all timeouts for a tab — something that an extension could use. Getting the details right wasn’t quite trivial but I think that my extension gets it right now: Suspend background tabs. Enjoy!

This doesn’t completely disable all activity in the background tabs of course. Network requests will continue, videos will also keep playing. So I might implement some improvements in future. However, please have understanding that this is a very low priority side-project for me. So it’s best if you bring your code. The current code is here.
Suspend background tabs 1.0.1
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox···nd-tabs/

Bobby_Peru
Premium
join:2003-06-16
That sounds great. Thanks for the post. Have you tried it yet? I hope it allows for the continuation of user time set auto-reloads. We will see..
Thanks again chachazz See Profile, and WP, of course.