Search similar:

uniqs
badsykes1
join:2004-12-08

1 edit

badsykes1

[HELP] Cisco 1811 is crashing

Hello

My router begins to crash randomly (by resetting itself) with the following error every time ...
Here is the error message:

System returned to ROM by error - a Software forced crash, PC 0xFFFFFFFF at 12:01:17 EEST Wed May 2 2012

Story... For a pretty long time i had a 512 ram Samsung added to router so i had in total 384 ram...All fine until one day my dad came with a laptop and i thought i would give the ram for his laptop so i remove it a couple of days..After putting back the ram the router begins to crash very very frequently with the error above every time.Even at around 5 minutes...It was anoying..
I had IOS version 15 and i downgraded to 124-24.T version..Same problem so the IOS is not the culprit..After a couple of days i after searching for this error i get the idea to remove the ram and instantly i got 3 days uptime and stuff..I may discharged by mistake on the ram chips when handling the memory maybe..
Today i wanted to look online on a movie and the router crashed again after 3 days of uptime..In this 3 days i gamed alot online, downloaded etc and today is the first i looked online at a movie...
The error looks very generic to me and i can't pinpoint anything...

From show stock command:

Stack trace from system failure:
FP: 0xFFFFFFFF, RA: 0xFFFFFFFF
FP: 0xBAD0ADD0, RA: 0xBAD0ADD0
badsykes1

badsykes1

Ok...
i got more information...

*May 12 20:38:38.043: %ENVMON-3-FAN_FAIL_SYSTEM_HALT: Router traps to ROMMON to avoid over heat by fan malfunction -Traceback= 0x803D4250z 0x803D4450z 0x801110DCz 0x8011499Cz *** System received a Software forced crash *** signal= 0x17, code= 0x200, context= 0x84a76850 PC = 0xffffffff, Vector = 0x200, SP = 0xffffffff

Is unusual this happens now.I am already acustomed with the message from 1 minute to another that the "Fan is malfunctioning"..
The case is open and it stayed many days without reseting itself....
Weird..
Now i got the explanations why i find the router in Romon many times after a self-reset..
Any idea how i can deactivate this auto reset..
badsykes1

badsykes1

Ok.... even more info...regarding for a possible way to fix it..

»forum.cybertronics.co.uk ··· pic=17.0
Expand your moderator at work
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to badsykes1

MVM

to badsykes1

Re: [HELP] Cisco 1811 is crashing

Genuine hardware fault... uh-oh, that's never good.

So if I read this right, with or without the RAM the router's still crashing?

Regards
badsykes1

1 edit

badsykes1

Yes is still crashing with same error...
It may be a problem on the circuit that trip the router to reset or go to Romon..The bad thing is i can't find an explanation why it stay for days without a reboot and sudenly begin to reboot..I played games and torrenting much but i can't find a pattern for the resets...
I found a sealed juniper SSG 5 router on Ebay at 179 pounds in UK and i don't know what to do if i switch to it or still go for a Cisco router if the 1811 will fail completly..I still have my 851 but that is very slow for 100mbit pipe...

To Admin of the forum: what was deleted ? Did someone swear ?
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to badsykes1

MVM

to badsykes1
said by badsykes1:

Ok...
i got more information...

*May 12 20:38:38.043: %ENVMON-3-FAN_FAIL_SYSTEM_HALT: Router traps to ROMMON to avoid over heat by fan malfunction -Traceback= 0x803D4250z 0x803D4450z 0x801110DCz 0x8011499Cz *** System received a Software forced crash *** signal= 0x17, code= 0x200, context= 0x84a76850 PC = 0xffffffff, Vector = 0x200, SP = 0xffffffff

Is unusual this happens now.I am already acustomed with the message from 1 minute to another that the "Fan is malfunctioning"..
The case is open and it stayed many days without reseting itself....
Weird..
Now i got the explanations why i find the router in Romon many times after a self-reset..
Any idea how i can deactivate this auto reset..

According to the error message, the router detected failed fan. From your description, it looks like the failed fan issue has been ongoing one. At this point I think the router can no longer tolerate the issue and demand a fix

When there is an active Smartnet contract on the router, simply open up a TAC case to RMA the router for free. If you are unsure of the active Smartnet contract situation, you can always hit ebay to find 1811 fan replacement
aryoba

aryoba to badsykes1

MVM

to badsykes1
said by badsykes1:

I found a sealed juniper SSG 5 router on Ebay at 179 pounds in UK and i don't know what to do if i switch to it or still go for a Cisco router if the 1811 will fail completly..I still have my 851 but that is very slow for 100mbit pipe...

Juniper SSG 5 is a decent product that you can do lots of things with. As with any vendor (Cisco, Juniper, or else) you should have a contract with them so you can always open up technical case or at very least have ability to download code (IOS for Cisco, ScreenOS for SSG) to find the stable one.
badsykes1

badsykes1

The problem is more complicated because i made a short on the PCB by reversing polarity of the fan cables..Just buying a new fan will not solve the problem, it will make the router reset itself instantly and the fan will not spin..
The dilema was switching brands from Cisco to Juniper ... I see on this site there is not Juniper section..The only resource i found about juniper is their own forum..It feels not so supported by the community..
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

said by badsykes1:

The problem is more complicated because i made a short on the PCB by reversing polarity of the fan cables.

Reversing polarity is definitely a no no

You can always get another 1811 router off ebay. Or you can switch to Juniper SSG 5 (ScreenOS). SSG 5 with unlimited user license these days is cheap since ScreenOS is going away due to the fact that Juniper's plan is to use JUNOS for their firewall product by starting the SRX line.
said by badsykes1:

The dilemma was switching brands from Cisco to Juniper ... I see on this site there is not Juniper section..The only resource i found about juniper is their own forum..It feels not so supported by the community..

I know there are Juniper guys and gals lurks around this forum, so you won't be alone. Furthermore there should be no problem in tackling ScreenOS if you feel you are savvy-enough Cisco person and has at least networking concept understanding.
badsykes1

1 edit

badsykes1

I am from Europe and i want to know if it's worth exposing myself on Juniper platforms because not many ISP's deploy Juniper toys..
Cisco have many academies around the world and CCNA people are higher in number than Juniper people so even if Juniper have a better deal many will still go with Cisco because they can't find personell prepared for Juniper..
Regards,

The current situation of the router:

Router uptime is 2 days, 21 hours, 54 minutes
System returned to ROM by error - a Software forced crash, PC 0xFFFFFFFF at 12:0 1:17 EEST Wed May 2 2012
System image file is "flash:c181x-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T.bin"
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

Juniper was at first only popular in ISP world but then it has been penetrating Enterprise market for years and has been competing with Cisco head to head. I know at least one member of this forum is savvy enough around ScreenOS and he is from London, UK. So I'm sure UK has been Juniper market

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to badsykes1

MVM

to badsykes1
Juniper is very popular among big ISPs. I remember taking a walk through a very large DC in San Jose California, and I reckon I saw more Juniper kit in there than Cisco.

Even if you dont "switch" from Cisco to Juniper, being multi skilled in multiple vendors can only be good for you when it comes to job hunting. That might be the edge you have over the other guys...

I picked up my first Juniper router back in 2008 or so, just a lowly J2300, and compared to traditional IOS, JunOS blows Cisco way out of the water, especially from a configuration point of view.

If you want something new and cheap, the SRX line is quite competitively priced. I picked up a SRX100B for a little over AUD$500, brand new. It runs all of the latest JunOS versions, whereas my J2300 is limited to 9.3. Newer J series (like the J2320, basically anything thats not a Jx300) also run the latest images but are a bit more expensive.

Still, its good for getting a foot in the door, and I still use my J2300 in my lab. Looking at picking up an M7i or two soon, logical systems are a really intriguing feature, allowing you to run up to 15 individual routers on a single box, very much like a VM. Good for building complex topologies without the mess!
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

said by TomS_:

I still use my J2300 in my lab.

I wonder how loud the fan noise is. Is it like the old Cisco Catalyst 3550-24 port switch? Or maybe it is more like Cisco 3725 router?
said by TomS_:

Looking at picking up an M7i or two soon, logical systems are a really intriguing feature, allowing you to run up to 15 individual routers on a single box, very much like a VM. Good for building complex topologies without the mess!

M7i? Compared to SRX100B you bought, the M7i probably costs 4 times more; still a lot of money for some of us not to mention the fan noise

If you want to play around with the virtualization, you can just buy another SRX100 since JUNOS uses the same technology between the routers, SRX firewalls, and EX switches.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

The fan noise from the J2300 is a bit of a problem. Its got a very high pitched whiney fan in it, and it seems to like speeding up and slowing down a lot so it gets a little annoying after a while. I tried running it with the cover off, but no difference. :-/

But since its a generic x86 (Celeron in fact) based box with a run of the mill 3-wire fan, I could potentially find a slower speed quieter fan to clip on top of the heat sink. Maybe even one with blinky lights to "pimp my Juniper." :-P

As for the SRX instead of M7i, the low end SRX's dont do logical systems, which is the feature I am after - support starts from the SRX3400 it seems, according to this document I am readin. You also need licenses to run them on SRX but not on the M series.

Im looking at co-lo'ing them at work in the comms room instead of home, so I dont think the fan noise will be an issue. That way I can run them all the time, with console access. Unfortunately only console access via the corporate console server on the corporate network, but hey, cant have everything.
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

said by TomS_:

The fan noise from the J2300 is a bit of a problem. Its got a very high pitched whiney fan in it, and it seems to like speeding up and slowing down a lot so it gets a little annoying after a while. I tried running it with the cover off, but no difference. :-/

This fan noise issue is one of the reason why I prefer to have SRX 100 or 210 instead of J series as home lab equipment. All Juniper JUNOS features are pretty much condensed into the same JUNOS code. So regardless of the appliance, you still have the same thing. As example, you could mock up L2VPN on SRX 100 unlike Cisco where you need to have ASR series to do so

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to badsykes1

to badsykes1
srx 210 is fantastic... Truly an impressive power, however, it sucks to get it working with vpn for Macs
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to badsykes1

MVM

to badsykes1
This is truly an indispensable resource if you're gonna mess with ScreenOS.

Regards
badsykes1

badsykes1

I always learned by making "bad" moves intentionally...If i buy an SSG 5 i will have only one router and i can't simulate all protocols in that book..
The same learning curve i applied to my current 1811 and learning some intersting tricks..For me is more like a toy than something for a job and i am the little kid at 3-4 years that likes to make it pieces, scratch it, throw it a little )
:P
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

said by badsykes1:

If i buy an SSG 5 i will have only one router and i can't simulate all protocols in that book..

Only one routing protocol the SSG 5 can't run which is EIGRP since SSG 5 is not Cisco. Otherwise, SSG 5 is pretty much powerful box you can ask for with cheap price
said by badsykes1:

The same learning curve i applied to my current 1811 and learning some intersting tricks..For me is more like a toy than something for a job and i am the little kid at 3-4 years that likes to make it pieces, scratch it, throw it a little )

Experiments (lots of it) is one good hands-on way to learn what works and what does not

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to badsykes1

to badsykes1
OT here... You all noticed there's more talks about Juniper here on dslr? I think we need a spec forum for it...
badsykes1

badsykes1

Router uptime is 4 days, 21 hours, 32 minutes
System returned to ROM by error - a Software forced crash, PC 0xFFFFFFFF at 12:01:17 EEST Wed May 2 2012
System image file is "flash:c181x-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T.bin"

why ? i torrented with 9MB/s yesterday and no crash? I don't understand ? why why is not crashing...Even 9MB/s cannot crash the router ?

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to aryoba

Premium Member

to aryoba
So here's a question, would the SSG5 net me anything over my existing NS5GT? Probably not right?

As to the question above, unless you are downloading at 72mbps (9MB/s)(how?) which will overwhelm the router and peak CPU usage, then it wouldn't cause an issue. 9Mbps will not crash the 1811.
badsykes1

badsykes1

IT is 9MB/s .... This is why i asked those questions..When the router crashed last time it wasn't downloading anything actually..Now when i torrent 9-10MB/s it isn't crashing ...

Hope this makes it clear:

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Ah, location makes sense. You really should not be pushing that much traffic through the 1811 though. Besides that, it sounds like a IOS bug.
badsykes1

badsykes1

Why i shouldn't push so much traffic on 1811 ?

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Not designed for it, which can cause strange glitches.

The ISR 1801-1812 series is rated at 70,000PPS/35.84 Mbps. Are you running any kind of services on the 1811?
badsykes1

badsykes1

That number is from this datasheet i suppose:

»www.cisco.com/web/partne ··· ance.pdf

Most people here said that 1811 can easily maintain 100mbps pipe with NAT only without any other services and i can confirm this..I have Dhcp enabled and NAT and some opened ports.That's it.I don't stress the router with encryptions, crypto and ZBFW yet..
I have also an 850 that's rated a 5Mbps there .... ? I didn't test it but peple around said it can go to max 25mbps...
1811 is a powerfull router with at least 800mhz processor and 128 mb and i bought because it can do wirespeed...It would be really stupid to be rated ONLY at a poor 35mbps when a 30$ dlinks can pull wire speeds easily and have a cpu around 300mhz or so and 32mb ...
Is the same like single core cpu from a PC and 512mb ram without any antivirus, firewall and other programs running at startup..If you put any programs at startup it will slow down..

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Well that's only partially true, it can maintain 100mbps with NAT only, but it also depends on the type of traffic and number of sessions it has passing through it. I know for example that my 2811 can handle 35/35, but it peaks at 100% CPU usage with multiple connections.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
Read the document carefully. Those performance numbers are without any services, and moving 64byte packets (i.e. worst case network traffic.) Performance is a function of traffic and configurationl 70kpps is a baseline for comparing models. (the size of your routing table will effect that number.)

Yes, an 1811 can move 100mbps. Would I recommend it? Of course not. The more services one enables, the more sessions NAT has to track, the more routes put in it... everything will subtract from performance.

Back to the point of the thread... his "crash" isn't a crash; the router is doing exactly what it's programmed to do... shutdown before it melts. Fix the fan and it'll be fine. If the hwmon isn't working, then you have another problem. You aren't going to get cisco to cut you a custom build with the environmental monitor disabled. [they're EOL or I'd say buy smartnet and have it replaced.]