Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JMOatRon

join:2001-02-12
Santee, CA

[PHONE] COX digital phone static!

COX digital phone static!

I was in CostCo today and mentioned to one of the sales people in electronics I was getting static on my Panasonic DECT 6.0 Cordless Phone and didn't know if it was the phone or COX...

He replied that he had the same problem and COX came out and put a 'filter' on his phone line then all was good!

I thanked him and went home to put a 'DSL' filter on my phone line.

A miracle happened, it works...d;^)
--
JMO@®on™

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

Does Cox offer DSL where you live?

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5
reply to JMOatRon

Did you happen to plug in a phone in the outside test jack to see if the static was external to your house (ie. if the static condition persisted when plugged into the test jack) or internal (ie. if the static went away when plugged into the test jack)?

Did you try a completely different telephone, ie. not the Panasonic DECT 6.0 Cordless Phone, to see if the problem persisted?
--
"When all else fails read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer

JMOatRon

Santee, CA
reply to bdnhsv

It's not DSL it's just a filter,

COX digital phones share the same line you get TV, Internet, and Telephone on.

Just as DSL shares the line with Telephone...

Why is that so hard to understand?
--
JMO@®on™

JMOatRon

Santee, CA
reply to SoonerAl

I've actually returned a set of Unidens before I found out this 'trick'...

I just wanted to try and help others with the same problem...d;^(
--
JMO@®on™

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL
reply to JMOatRon

JMO - it's not hard to understand. I just fail to see how installing a DSL filter between an EMTA and a phone would make much difference since it's VOIP to the EMTA and then TDM emulation to the phone. However, if it's working for you then great. I was just curious as to whether Cox was employing something different in your area.

JMOatRon

Santee, CA

I was just trying to share something that had helped me with a static problem.

It is a 'shared' line and it would seem a filter is a filter?

I didn't mean to jump on you...d;^(

BTW: More phone calls show better an' better quality!
--
JMO@®on™

AnonGuy

@cox.net

said by JMOatRon:

I was just trying to share something that had helped me with a static problem.

It is a 'shared' line and it would seem a filter is a filter?

I didn't mean to jump on you...d;^(

BTW: More phone calls show better an' better quality!

But the only thing on the phone lines is... Phone...

The TV and Internet runs on Coax so I do not see how they could affect phone lines to the point a filter is needed.

dhar

join:2004-07-05

Could be unplugging/plugging is what did it. I would remove the filter and see if the static comes back.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 edit
reply to bdnhsv

Cox does not do dsl the phone signal is carried over coax to the house to an niu to phone line or emta to phone line.

JMOatRon

Santee, CA
reply to JMOatRon

Ya know what guys,

If nobody is having problems with static and COX phone line...

Just disregard my post!

I was trying to help people that had the same problem...

NOT to argue about why it does or doesn't work.

Please argue among yourselves, I'm done.

--
JMO@®on™

dhar

join:2004-07-05

The thing is, you never really established that the filter fixed it, and that's what I was getting at when I suggested you remove the filter and see if the static comes back, because simply breaking and re-making the connection could have done it. Others have suggested there's no design reason that inserting a filter would have any effect. You don't want to be doing stuff that "works" by coincidence, especially when it costs a little money and could conceivably introduce problems of its own.

FWIW, I can propose miracle fixes, too. Here's what fixes static on my Cox phone line. Every year or two, I need to break and re-make my alarm system's connection to the phone system, as well as loosen, wiggle, and re-tighten the 8 leads connected with spade lugs. Works like a champ every time, but it's probably rather unique to my installation.

JMOatRon

Santee, CA

Hey dhar,

Since you seem to be a nice guy AND 'reasonably' correct in your assessment of the situation,
I'm going to fess up to having a 'bad' phone line and the 'filter' was just a 'work around' for that cause...d;^(

What do you expect with 30 year old house wiring?

--
JMO@®on™

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

said by JMOatRon:

I'm going to fess up to having a 'bad' phone line and the 'filter' was just a 'work around' for that cause...d;^(

What do you expect with 30 year old house wiring?

The DSL filter was most likely a placebo. Even when used with DSL, they wouldn't filter out static.

DSL filters are analog low-pass filters that are designed to filter out any of the digital high frequency noise that can bleed through on DSL lines

They don't have any actual effect on eMTA based phone services because the actual phone signal doesn't intermingle with the Internet portion. They both come in as IP packets - for the phone it is MGCP for residential and either MGCP or SIP for business - that are translated by the eMTA and presented as standard telephone signaling on an FSX interface

Since the eMTA generates all of the appropriate telephone signaling on the FSX port, there isn't any "DSL like" data noise incursion.

I used to have techs swear they also fixed fax problems but when we showed them how the filter worked and did actual testing in our lab for them, they realized the filter did nothing of substance for cable voice quality.

tim85254

join:2010-07-15
reply to JMOatRon

said by JMOatRon:

Why is that so hard to understand?

Because its like comparing apples to chickens. The two aren't even close to the same.

JMOatRon

Santee, CA
reply to bbeesley

Hey bbeesley,

If you're going to quote me PLEASE do a COMPLETE quote!

I was man enough to admit that I had left out a step in the process...

'Some' of your own techs do that...d;^P

I didn't know if I should return the phones OR call for a COX 'tech' that may not do any better than I did!

It's REAL easy to sit back and say 'I told you so' later on...

Have a GREAT day,

--
JMO@®on™

JMOatRon

Santee, CA
reply to tim85254

Please see last post...
--
JMO@®on™

signcarver

join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ
reply to JMOatRon

said by JMOatRon:

Hey bbeesley,
If you're going to quote me PLEASE do a COMPLETE quote!

I know I don't speak for bbeesley but your comment here really annoyed me as it is generally not considered proper forum etiquette when you quote someone to include a complete quote of the post. The instructions while quoting state to avoid long quotes and according to the site's own faq, "It is up to you to EDIT the unimportant parts out, so that you're not forcing others to read through a repeat of a message to find the pertinent parts." In the above case you were referring to, the other information that was not included was not pertinent to what was being contributed.

Now back to the original topic to make this post relevant to the topic. Unlike other people, I will say that your suggested method might work as it is perceived by an individual but if it did actually do something it may be a band-aid to a potentially much bigger problem as it should not have fixed it and you should try and find the root cause of the problem or it might grow in to a problem as big as one I encountered. I apologize in advance for how long this story is, I could probably shorten it to that I had a transformer that put out interference and the subsequent noise on a phone line could be perceivably filtered by a dsl filter but without the details I don't think my point can be made as to why the cause should be determined.

Years ago I had a transformer that powered a network switch emit some form interference. The most obvious sign I had a problem was that I could hear "static" on the phone but didn't know where it was coming from. It also interfered with getting a caller id signal on all the lines as well as receiving faxes. I too thought that a dsl filter might work, (in my case I actually did have dsl on another separate line so I had the filters)... put it on the lines without dsl and no more noise (at least that is how I perceived it on my end but caller id still had a 30% fail rate but I could live with that).

About a month went by and even though everything sounded great on my end the noise was actually starting to be heard by the people I was calling, caller id would hardly ever work, the fax machine was getting more problems in both sending and receiving and I also found out the noise was also affecting my neighbors as they could hear the static and they also were starting to get caller id errors. The phone company was out 4 times to my house (as well as my neighbors) trying to determine where this interference was coming from. We were running a small business from home so I had a cable modem, a dedicated fax line, 2 voice lines and dsl on one of the voice lines as well as the whole house networked with cat 5e. On a whim the phone tech decided to unplug not only each of the phone cables as previously done but also each of the network cables in the wiring closet but the noise was still present. The phone tech had never seen such an elaborate hookup in a residence and asked if we could try and relocate the network equipment to another structured wiring box (which was set up for the alarm system but still had plenty of room).

When we relocated the switch all of a sudden everything was fine, absolutely no noise on the non-dsl line even without a filter just as it should be. After we finished and closed everything up, the noise started coming back. However because it went away during the relocation we concentrated on the network equipment and determined that unplugging the switch always caused a clean line. So I agreed to replace my switch however, since we thought it was the switch, not its power supply, and I was replacing it with an identical unit I left the power supply in place just not plugged in to the outlet as I wanted to avoid having to rerun the power cord. 15 minutes after plugging in the new equipment the noise returned, this time I just disconnected the power at the switch, leaving the transformer plugged in and the noise was still there, unplug the transformer the noise goes away, plug it back in, and 2 minutes later...noise. So I replaced the transformer and no noise.

My point to this is that unless you are using DSL, HomePNA (Ooma also uses this for connection to what they call a hub), the use of a dsl filter to eliminate noise should not be the first step as it may hide some other problem.