spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PcolaSteve

@bellsouth.net

[Config] Port Forwarding on a Cisco 2621

Hopefully, I can make this as clear as possible!

I have established two VLANs on my Cisco 2950 switch and have configured my Cisco 2621 router accordingly for these VLANs. I have tested the connections for both VLANs with positive results.

Here is the problem. I intend to place IP cameras on one of the VLANs. As said, both VLANs test good for communication, both locally and the WAN, but when I configure the cameras with the appropriate IP addressing scheme for the VLAN they will become a member of, I can't get any communication from them at all. The cameras also require a HTTP Port to be assigned to them as well. They were working fine when they were not part of a VLAN and now I can't figure out why they won't communicate. If I connect them to a switch without a VLAN assigned, they work fine.

I have tried to configure my router with "ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168 20.12 8082 192.168 1.5 81" (The IP addresses here are the actual ones I am using,) but communication has failed. I realize that the cameras are on a different subnet than the 192.168.1.5 device, but as said, I have pinged from the 192.168.20.0 network to the 192.168.1.0 network with no problem during testing.

Any suggestions or is more information needed?

lanswitcher

join:2012-05-11

do the cameras have their default gateway configured?

are you using intervlan trunking between the router and the switch?

can a PC or something on one vlan ping the cameras on the other vlan?

Expand your moderator at work

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:15
reply to PcolaSteve

Re: [Config] Port Forwarding on a Cisco 2621

The full config of your 2621 and 2950 -- minus passwords and other sensitive info -- would help.
Also a digram of your (intended) setup, and are you trying to get to the cameras via the LAN
or WAN?

Regards

pcolasteve

join:2012-05-12
reply to lanswitcher

The cameras have no option to set a default gateway.

Yes, on the intervlan trunking.

Yes and no on the ping. A device on one vlan cannot ping the camera on the other device, however, if I reconfigure the IP address on a couple of PCs to the second vlan IP range, then yes, I can ping between vlans with no problem.

Again, I suspect these cameras will not work within a vlan.

pcolasteve

reply to HELLFIRE

I don't think it's a config issue. Any device other than the cameras that I put on the second vlan work fine; there is communication not only across the local network, but out onto the WAN as well.

It is only when I put these cameras on the second vlan that they fail to work, even of course, assigning them an IP address in the second vlan range.

If these cameras are connected to yet another switch that does not have it's ports assigned to vlans, the cameras work just fine.

lanswitcher

join:2012-05-11

what kind of cameras are these?

seems most things will ask for an IP, a subnet mask and a gateway IP

pcolasteve

OK...Problem solved.

I installed these camera initially two years ago and had forgotten that they had a "security" feature where you could hid your configurations since they are IP based cameras.

Once I remembered this, over-rode the settings and re-configured the cams, they are working fine on the vlan I set up for them.

Thanks all for the sugguestions!

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:15
reply to PcolaSteve

Glad you figured it out. As for it not being a config issue, I always find it never hurts to have a second set of
eyes on it, in case you miss the blaringly obvious.

Regards