spc
Search similar:

uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

AT&T's bad tech support

I have called AT&T's DSL tech support, and the representative was running me in circles. Here is what has happened. I have called about DSL issue. After she was trying to troubleshoot an issue she was trying to upsell me a DSL modem, so i have told her this is not the case i have already tried another modem, but she was insistent by keep repeating her self by saying "You need a new modem", and you will be changed $75 for it, when i have already told her i have tried another modem already. Now here comes the 2nd part she was telling me i was entering the wrong password when i was positive i have entered it correctly, but no " You have not entered the password correctly". Finally the tech showed up and he has found a problem with the outside wiring cable. And this is not all AT&T's office has given a tech a general tech support number instead of giving customer's phone number!

This is what i call "Your world is not delivered".
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I do not know what the phone support people can see when they troubleshoot, but it might be that the outside wiring problem showed up as bad modem on their limited trouble shooting analysis answer page. I actually dealt with 2 misbehaving modems in a row from AT&T. The first was a new Westell they supplied and the second was a new Motorola I purchased. Still could not solve the problem. A technician came by and installed a second Motorola that has worked for months without problem.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned)

Another problem i have had is a lot of static on my land line as well, because of the bad cable. In your case it could of been a temporary problem with a DSL. I bet if you try one of your two modems now they will work without any problems. I think what AT&T does they just read the script.

Canezoid
End of line
join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA

Canezoid to 47717768

to 47717768
1. your post is kinda rambling, so I'm not sure what your exact point is.

2. DSL phne tech support have tool utilities they use per their helpdesk training and this in no way relates to what network techs do in the field. So what they may be telling you on phone may be a baseline response for what they are seeing per their testing tools. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

3. Have you tried direct connecting to your NID location w/ the modem to see if whatever problem your having follows ? Doesn't sound like you did.

4. The static on your landline may be indicative of an unfiltered connection inside the house from your CPE. If a tech finds this to be an alternate issue on another dispatch, that is considered billable labor, so you better check your filtering inside for what you have plugged into the telephone jacks.

Just my 2c.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

4 edits

47717768 (banned)

said by Canezoid:

1. your post is kinda rambling, so I'm not sure what your exact point is.

2. DSL phne tech support have tool utilities they use per their helpdesk training and this in no way relates to what network techs do in the field. So what they may be telling you on phone may be a baseline response for what they are seeing per their testing tools. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

3. Have you tried direct connecting to your NID location w/ the modem to see if whatever problem your having follows ? Doesn't sound like you did.

4. The static on your landline may be indicative of an unfiltered connection inside the house from your CPE. If a tech finds this to be an alternate issue on another dispatch, that is considered billable labor, so you better check your filtering inside for what you have plugged into the telephone jacks.

Just my 2c.

I have done all of that before calling so called tech support. After a tech came by i have none of those issues. I think it depends on how the staff is trained. I was working as an IT, and it did not take me even 15min. to solve a clients issue unless it was a complex issue like hardware problem. Lets say customer's computer is infected with a trojan or a virus i would not tell a customer he will need to buy a new PC, because it got very slow or unresponsive.

Canezoid
End of line
join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA

1 recommendation

Canezoid

Ok, you sound like your rambling again, 1st you say you have issues & you've already done that, to having a tech come out and not having issues, so I guess your ok then.

It's nice that you were in "IT" but doesn't really mean much for this does it, get off that band wagon and yes/no it dependence on training for inside staff on the HD still has nothing to do w/ how techs handle things in the field.

Peace out.
mdv921
join:2008-06-26

1 recommendation

mdv921 to 47717768

to 47717768
Oleg, in the future call the following # if you need tech support. This # will get you more often directly to people who are far more knowledgeable than the people you get from the main #. So far it has always gotten me to a US based tech support center (most often in Louisiana). And these people don't read from a script like the bunch in Mumbai do.

1-866-829-3129
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Thanks for the info mdv921

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

Another problem i have had is a lot of static on my land line as well, because of the bad cable.

Well in that case you should have skipped DSL CS altogether and gone to POTS CS about the static... would have fixed both problems much more quickly.

Remember DSL rides the POTS line, and if there are problems there it will effect it though there is really nothing wrong with the DSL.
Expand your moderator at work

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0

Re: AT&T's bad tech support

said by Hayward0:

Remember DSL rides the POTS line, and if there are problems there it will effect it though there is really nothing wrong with the DSL.

+1... any POTS problems will always hinder DSL. If POTS is not up to standards, expect DSL to suffer.